Thread: My Rextoration Project

Rides
    Great work there lads

I always knew you were fond of a ****el JP

Best of luck with it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
    so whats happenin to the mini?
    It spontaneously exploded when it found out it was gonna have to live up to the RX7. Feeling cheated by it's owner... We think it committed suicide!!!

Either way JP turned up in a clio and I didn't see the mini all weekend.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOBrn View Post
    It spontaneously exploded
    Really, again

That says alot for the clio to have lasted this long
    Maybe he should stick with that

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tweek View Post
    nice recaro kitchen roll colm lol

do you do a bit of boxing?just use it to let off a bit of steam?
    lol its one specially designed for those brown trouser moments
    Just use the punch bag to vent some of the 180 ownership frustration, it gets lots of use.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    A massive thanks to the following peeps (in no particular order) who came down to help out: I really really appreciate everything you all put in from the time & effort to come down & turn a few spanners, to random advice, to guidance, cooking, picking things up at the last minute, and everything else that made the whole weekend happen!
    Susan
    Colm
    Trial_S15
    MatthewOBrn
    FD3oin
    Colm's mate (Gav? )

Also an extra special thanks to Colm for letting us take over his garage (& living-room!) for a lot longer than I think any of us had expected! You're an absolute legend dude!
    No worries dude it was funny watching you fall asleep while you were standing mid sentance by the end of the day. Pass on my thanks to Susan for all the grub.

That was Darren that poped over for a while, hes been back over again tonight giving me a hand finishing it off. Hes a member on here, just doesnt post very often

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
    so whats happenin to the mini?
    It's running very well at the moment thanking you!

Quote Originally Posted by Joematose View Post
    Great work there lads

I always knew you were fond of a ****el JP

Best of luck with it
    Cheers buddy! And yes I am, it should be some fun & sound awesome when she's done!

Quote Originally Posted by Trial_S15 View Post
    He's rebuilding the old 13b & fitting it to the mini & if he doesn't he is just

RWD Rotary mini FTMFW
    Actually the spare 13B's being donated to a good cause... and not mine either so !

Speaking of Minis, when are you buying that spare JCW supercharger off me for your next project-car by the way Colin....?

Quote Originally Posted by twincam View Post
    Really, again
    Screw you hippie & the horse you rode in on!

Quote Originally Posted by colm View Post
    No worries dude it was funny watching you fall asleep while you were standing mid sentance by the end of the day. Pass on my thanks to Susan for all the grub.

That was Darren that poped over for a while, hes been back over again tonight giving me a hand finishing it off. Hes a member on here, just doesnt post very often
    Lol! Yeah, faded faster than Joematose after 3 drinks as soon as we were in the warmth of a house again! I'll pass that on now buddy & extend my thanks to Darren too will you please?
    Last edited by JP; 01-02-2011 at 23:06.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    JP will be back, he is like Christ, only he comes back more frequently

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Speaking of Minis, when are you buying that spare JCW supercharger off me for your next project-car by the way Colin....?

My plan may need to be forgotten / cancelled for the time being I'm seriously itching to get back in an S-body and I may have the means to be back in one sooner if I settle for a DET

Oh & no problem on the helping out BTW, anytime, & you can thank Susan from me as well - that Lasagne was GORGEOUS

Rides
    Sweet! You can help us put Eoins back in when he finally gets it rebuilt so, we havent a clue now since it came out so long ago

Rides
    As long as the poxy rats nest is already done...

Rides
    As long as the poxy rats nest is already done...
    He got some HKS box thing that replaces it all

Rides
    Where are the pics JP?

I demand PICS!!!

Rides
    Fairplay lads, what plans have you for it JP.

Rides
    Yea JP where are the pics??? Oh and if your on MSN soon give me a shout we have some ideas totalk about Looks like my new project will be starting very soon Hope the car goes well for you dude

Rides
    I think he's ignoring us :P

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by vbb
    Last Activity: 03-02-2011 20:50
    Maybe not.

Rides
    He's probably too busy enjoying his first wa*kel to notice us !

Rides
    I think he's ignoring us :P

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by vbb
    Last Activity: 03-02-2011 20:50
    Maybe not.
    How very observant of you..! No, I haven't been ignoring ye, just had a pretty heavy week - that aside here're the pics you demand & an update to go with them from last weekend!

Thanks to Colm's fantastic generosity of time, blood, sweat, & cursing (the punchbag got a workout since the previous weekend, I could tell!) the rest of the reassembly was done by the time myself & Eoin arrived down last Saturday to turn her over & change some fluids. Thanks a million Colm!!

So we turned it over a few times & it did the usual of smouldering some smoke off the exhaust etc as she heated up; turned it off, checked fluids, restarted - repeated 2 or 3 times then eventually I moved her outside so she wasn't killing us with exhaust fumes inside the garage!

Onto some of the more daily concerns that needed to be addressed before she could see the road, for example the wipers:

A significant improvement (some of the blades were about to come apart & start scratching the windscreen I noticed) so now at least with the heavens about to open up that evening I'd be able to see when heading home.

Next was the gearbox & diff oil... So, gearbox oil out...

Looks like it was WELL-overdue a change:

...and then came the issue of refilling the gearbox with oil seeing as there was no spout-like or pump-like devices to put it into the side of the box... So Eoin suggested it was probably like an SR box in that you just whip out the shifter & in it goes:

Making sure not to drench the interior in oil that smells like cat-wee (although to be fair this stuff wasn't as bad as the Silkolene I used in the 200)

And the end-result (as my hands were too busy/filthy to hold the camera) was this:

So no, you CAN'T fill the FD gearbox up with oil from the top through the shifter! Eventually Eoin came up with the far more sensible idea of just filling the gearbox back up though the side but with a funnel+hose system from the top of the car - random 2L Fanta bottles FTW!!!

Now seeing as I'm fond of braking, we decided to completely replace the brake fluid in the car as it looked like it'd been there the life of the car:

And in with some proper stuff! (Being careful not to spill any over the paintwork etc)

And finally some copper-grease on the hub-section of the wheels we felt was needed as we needed a large mallet to get them off - felt like they'd been welded in-place!

Rides
    So after a half-hour's sitting warming up, the idle smoothed out: initially it was missing every-so-often so I was wondering what was up with that but it seemed to smooth out after about 10mins of just running. To give some background info, the engine'd been sitting up for the bones of 18 months in a garage & condensation as well as goodness-knows what else might've been causing it but the missing's gone since & it's running smoothly now so happy-days!

I took it for a wee drive up & down the driveway then to make sure the fluids are all circulating & nothing's overheating, the fans had been coming on/off as they should, the standard guages were all working properly & giving good readings so I was happy-out there too as allegedly the sensors tend to be damaged/broken in a lot of cars..? Anyway, all's good with mine!

So here are some photos of the completed car as she stood before we headed out on her first proper test-run:

All the necessary/spare fluids in the back for the trip home.

And here is where she'll be spending a lot of her life so I'm told!

I nearly died when I saw the meter wasn't stopping...

And the final bill...

The most expensive tank of fuel I've ever paid-for! Let's hope it lasts a while..!

The drive home was smoooooooth & uneventful - I decided it'd be prudent to take it nice & handy going home & not put the car & engine under too much pressure seeing as neither had done much mileage in a while; all's going well so-far & the battery (despite being dead since November pretty-much is holding a charge nicely.

There's a good few niggly things left to do but I'll stick up a list later.

Rides
    looking good dude. Some nice work going on and fair play to all that where involved.

always wanted one there a beautiful looking car. hope all goes well with it dude and hopefully get to see it at one of the meets soon.

Rides
    I hope you've your car taxed this month so..!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    I hope you've your car taxed this month so..!
    hahaha ye got it last week so all is sort of good lol. oh ye get them rpf1's on there will ye.

Rides
    Very nice dude. Looks like a sweet car. Looks like you and Colm did a realy good job