Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Show us your.... numberplates?!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson
    Those of you running without a numberplate, have a think about how you'd feel if someone crashed into you and drove off and they couldn't be traced because you couldn't get their reg. plate.
    Difference is I wouldn't drive of if I hit someone with or without a front plate and even if/when I put it on that's not going to make someone else who might potentially hit me put there's on.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Benkid View Post
    Difference is I wouldn't drive of if I hit someone with or without a front plate and even if/when I put it on that's not going to make someone else who might potentially hit me put there's on.
    Oh yeah. I hadn't thought about it like that. I'm off out to remove the numberplates from all my vehicles then everyone will think I'm real cool and the police won't mind coz I'll tell them you said it was OK as long as I don't drive off.

Might just give my insurance a call and cancel that too coz I'd definitely stump up if I damaged someone else's car so what do I need to pay those money-grabbing barsteward insurance companies for ?

And I look after my car really well so it doesn't need an MOT and I'm a really good driver so I don't need a licence...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    Standard sized plate
    There is NO standard plate size dictated in the British Standard or DLVA rules. There are however exact rules on Font, Size, Spacing, Space to border, BS Marked, Postcode of maker & name and layout.

There are also strict rules on what cars can run a Japanese number plates (i.e. smaller font) and from my understanding, no UK officially distributed 200sx's qualify As well as any import actually able to display a normally spaced and fonted number plate.
    Last edited by Vez; 24-01-2011 at 16:05.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Oh yeah. I hadn't thought about it like that. I'm off out to remove the numberplates from all my vehicles then everyone will think I'm real cool and the police won't mind coz I'll tell them you said it was OK as long as I don't drive off.

Might just give my insurance a call and cancel that too coz I'd definitely stump up if I damaged someone else's car so what do I need to pay those money-grabbing barsteward insurance companies for ?

And I look after my car really well so it doesn't need an MOT and I'm a really good driver so I don't need a licence...

Haha What a mental response
    You sound like a cool, calm and collective kind of guy.

I don't recall saying it was cool or telling you it was OK to do so but if you want to remove the number plates from all you're vehicles then go for it. I don't know where this came from but if you want to cancel you're insurance policies and avoid MOT's that's you're choice however I wouldn't recommend it! Makes you sound a little crazy if you ask me but who am I to judge.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by OllieSX View Post
    Here is mine, bike plate no bother in 2 yrs and 1 yr with the personal plate which helps with the size

Liking that style

What is the actual difference between a bike plate and a proper car plate - the font looks a bit different, but only subtlely which is cool.

Rides
    I must be one of the very few who still has the standard number plate attached to the brick on his 14a... god damn it I'm so cool.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Benkid View Post

Haha What a mental response
    You sound like a cool, calm and collective kind of guy.

I don't recall saying it was cool or telling you it was OK to do so but if you want to remove the number plates from all you're vehicles then go for it. I don't know where this came from but if you want to cancel you're insurance policies and avoid MOT's that's you're choice however I wouldn't recommend it! Makes you sound a little crazy if you ask me but who am I to judge.
    I think you missed my point so I'll lose the sarcasm and try again.

I was wondering why you feel you're above the law regarding having numberplates simply because (you say) you would "do the right thing" and stop if you had an accident.

Vehicles have numberplates for a good reason.

...and I wasn't trolling. I don't want an argument.

In my opinion, changing the size and shape of your numberplate whilst keeping it perfectly legible is a bit pointless but fairly harmless.

Not having a numberplate at all is a blatant disregard for the law and, if everyone did it, it would have unpleasant consequences.

Not having a numberplate is as illegal (and as immoral IMO) as not having insurance, an MOT nor a driving licence.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I think you missed my point so I'll lose the sarcasm and try again.

I was wondering why you feel you're above the law regarding having numberplates simply because (you say) you would "do the right thing" and stop if you had an accident.
    Fair point Jonny, and I'd like to express that I do not feel I'm above the law. I am aware it is illegal but I choose to keep it off until I am asked to put it on purely and simply because I think it looks better. The only reason it's off is because the car was completely resprayed not so long ago and I didnt want to stick velcro or drill holes in it for screw fittings to the nice clean bumper. I have it ready to go in my drivers doorcard and will put it up against the window whenever I see the police and have my excuses ready to throw at them. It may be a minor inconvenience having to do this whenever I drive the car (is not my daily so only gets driven weekends) however it's a risk I'm willing to take. If I thought it was dangerous or unsafe to do such a thing I can assure you that I wouldn't.
    Last edited by Benkid; 21-01-2011 at 19:29.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy_m View Post
    Liking that style

What is the actual difference between a bike plate and a proper car plate - the font looks a bit different, but only subtlely which is cool.
    Size really! My plate is illegal as it could be almost! Letter size-wrong, spacing- wrong lol

I've had no bother for it I'm of the strong opinion if you drive around with an illegal front plate and get stopped, the chances are you were doing something else that's brought attention to yourself, and therefor front plate.

My rear is full normal size although it is spaced S14A YO but if your normal at the back the front you tend to get away with.

Rides
    Had this made up for Mark's PS13 (cookiemonster)

Last edited by shane; 22-01-2011 at 08:05.

Rides
    mine - import sized numberplate. not had any trouble in 2 years....

Rides
    Really, even with half the letters missing like that?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralz View Post
    Really, even with half the letters missing like that?

i'm surprised you get no trouble, according to your sig yours has none at all

Rides
    Damn, I should have seen that one coming!

Rides
    Can I ask a question...and I may be being stupid here or naive...

But why do people blank out their numberplates when posting pics? I've never understood the reason, just wondered really what you think might happen with the info?

Rides

But why do people blank out their numberplates when posting pics? I've never understood the reason, just wondered really what you think might happen with the info?
    Because they are paranoid about someone stealing their car.

Dean, I like that plate size. I need a smaller one for mine.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanS15 View Post
    mine - import sized numberplate. not had any trouble in 2 years....
    i didnt know imports had smaller front plates. i have a import mr2 and it has a small plate on the front which i thought must of been put on by the last owner in the uk.i have had the car over a year now and gone past about 20 cop cars head on and had no problems is this why?

Rides

that pic was taken by, then doctored up by the photographer as is common courtesy when they take a pic of someone elses car....

but as was said earlier, if someone is looking to steal all or parts of a particular car, then see a pic of it, they can use the reg to get address details from certain databases.....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Because they are paranoid about someone stealing their car.

Dean, I like that plate size. I need a smaller one for mine.
    you'd need a 6 digit reg and as a legal comeback, being an import would make it easier to argue a case for it being that size....also the brick on the s14/a's is much larger than the plate mount on s15's too so it sort of looks like its meant to be that size for the car....another point i'd shamelessly argue if it came to it lol

Rides

Cloning. Some ****er searches for cars the same make, model and colour as theirs online, copies down the numberplate, has it made up on the sly or fakes it, then drives around without insurance or speeding - obviously coming up clean on any police numberplate check. When the car's noticed doing something dodgy, you get the blame/fines and essentially have to prove you're innocent.