Thread: BMW 5 series (E60) Who's got one?

Rides

BMW 5 series (E60) Who's got one?

Looking to purchase a new car this year. Got my heart set on a 5 series Beemer (E60), has to be an M-sport and a diesel, I want fuel economy and cheap tax so was thinking about just the 520d but don't know what the performance will be like being only a 2 litre and such a big car?? But considering I have the 200 for performance and my R1 for even more speed then performance on the beemer isn't a priority so long as its not ridiculously sluggish!! Looking at the figures 0-60 is around 8.3 and 144mph top end seems ok to me, I was probably looking at the late 07 and 08 models as they have the refined (177bhp) engines in them with even better fuel economy and even cheaper tax than the previous years, (£110 per year) I've seen a few of these between 13-15k which I think is quite reasonable.
    So basically I was just looking for some info/opinions etc on my chosen car Not necessarly just performance but everything, so even if you don't have the 520d any info on comfort, gadgets etc will be welcome on all models of the 5 series.
    Thanks for reading

Dave.

work2drift
    the 525D gets my vote if you wasn't bothered about economy then would have to be the 335D

Make you get the later version and the interior is so much nicer and easier to use idrive

and iirc the gearbox is better or again easier to use.

Rides
    my mate has a 55 plate 520d tourer itrs far from sluggish. ive driven it a few times and its a real nice drive.

Rides
    We've got the 535d and also had it chipped. It's very brisk. but not at all economical.

Engine aside: it's got the M sport suspension, steering wheel and bodykit (front valance, side skirts and rear bumper) and they look much better than the standard bodywork. The suspension is on the hard side, coupled with 19" wheels which are low-profile it can be a bit crashy over bumps. This got a lot better when I got rid of the runflat tyres though.

Ours is fully loaded - professional satnav, 6CD player, front and rear bumper sensors, dual side climate control, heated electrically positionable seats, piano black window surrounds, tinted windows, sunroof, bluetooth phone link, M sport steering wheel etc. Buying from new I would probably avoid just about all of them as they're extremely expensive for what they are (£2500 for a satnav that doesn't accept full postcodes for example), but they're all great if you can find a second hand one with them included.

They're a great drive - fabulous motorway cruisers and yet very good on the twisties for such a big car. Sublimely comfortable and refined compared to any other car I've owned. Stepping from the 200 to our Golf GTi is a big enough step in refinement terms, but then getting into BMW is another leap again.

Huge boot, very roomy in the back seats. We get ours serviced at an independent BMW garage and so far it's only needed an oil change, but I dread the cost if anything goes wrong.

Rides
    My brother has had an M5 for about 2.5 years. It made me want a BMW, love the iDrive, its so much better than the M3 we have. Very comfy car.

Can really comment on the other engines and no point in talking about this one.

Rides
    Thanks for the replies so far
    I was originally going to go for the 530d but then thought that it would be defeating the object of getting a more economical car as my current Mitsubishi Galant is dreadful on fuel economy and the road tax is £245 per year compared to the £110 of the (2007/08) 520d and the fuel economy is nearly double! Its actually probably quicker than the Mitsubishi too so decided on the 520d as like i've said before its fuel economy and cheaper road tax etc i'm after.
    I've never driven a BMW and infact i'm not sure i've even been a passenger either!!
    Can sat nav be added or is it only an option when its manufactured? Did they come with the Xenon headlights or was that an option too? I'm looking for a 2007/08 ish reg which I believe were slightly revised, 177bhp engine and better fuel econemy and revised interior?

Thanks,

Dave.

Rides
    Sat navs cant really be retrofitted. Im sure technically its possible, but it would cost you thousands. Xenons were an option as well.

Rides
    Is there anything I should look out for when buying? Any problems they suffer with I should be weary off? I see many are higher than average mileage, would one with say 20-25k per year be anything to be concerned about if its been serviced correctly? The one I have my eye on is a 2008 (57 Reg) and had 60k on the clock, it seems to be the norm for that sort of mileage (20-25k per year)

Thanks,

Dave.

Rides
    If you can find one in your budget, get one with service inclusive (need to check with dealer using chassis number) with less than 60k miles on it to try to catch one service you don't have to pay for...

also, if you go for a 08 reg it might still have some warranty left. I'd suggest discussing prices of extended warranty to see if it's worth it to you for peace of mind, but bear in mind that it will not cover trims, wiring, rattles, suspension over 60k miles, etc...

with regard to how good a car it is, they don't have the reputation of the ultimate driving machine for nothing, they really do drive well.

so long as they are well serviced, well driven and well looked after, they last well. I drove a 56 plate 3 series recently with over 120000 miles on it and it felt tight as a drum.

any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

(just don't act like a BMW owner when you take it to the garage)

Rides
    Nothing to add in terms of driving, but I went in a one as a taxi up to the airport and it was quiet and smooth enough on the motorway.

Quote Originally Posted by PR200SX View Post
    with regard to how good a car it is, they don't have the reputation of the ultimate driving machine for nothing, they really do drive well.
    That's not their reputation, it's what their marketing department have told you
    No matter how good it is to drive, I can say with 100% conviction that a diesel powered cruiser is not the ultimate driving machine while Ferrari, Lambo, etc etc are still in the world

Rides
    I absolutely love my E39 to drive but it seems rather unreliable and everything costs a fortune to repair It's beautifully smooth to drive, really comfy and handles very well for a 1.7tonne car!

Dave

Rides
    Brilliant cars, dont worry about it been the 520d they are actually rather good. Go drive one, i dont own one, (i have an e39 525i sport) but work with 320d/ 330d/ 530d day in day out (police car mechanic) and they are brilliant cars, take milage and abuse very well. They drive really nice, handle well, are smooth refined. I'd defo recommend a beemer, after my experience with the e60's and e90's at work and my personal experience with my e39, i love em

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_W View Post
    My brother has had an M5 for about 2.5 years. It made me want a BMW, love the iDrive, its so much better than the M3 we have. Very comfy car.

Can really comment on the other engines and no point in talking about this one.
    VERY nice car that

I love the E60, fantastic cars

Rides
    My girlfriend has an E60 520d, and I really like it. It's definitely brisk enough when it needs to be, and it's a lovely comfortable place to spend time. I also think they're really good-looking cars - they've grown into their looks over the years

Considering it's going to be your everyday car, I'd consider dropping the M-sport spec, essentially because of the wheels. The smaller wheels/larger profile tyres will likely be quieter and more comfortable, less likely to get damaged during everyday use, and cheaper to replace the tyres on. (Note that the run-flats for them, on larger rims, are heinously expensive. My GF's cost ~£1000 for all four recently - thankfully it's a company car!)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    My girlfriend has an E60 520d, and I really like it. It's definitely brisk enough when it needs to be, and it's a lovely comfortable place to spend time. I also think they're really good-looking cars - they've grown into their looks over the years

Considering it's going to be your everyday car, I'd consider dropping the M-sport spec, essentially because of the wheels. The smaller wheels/larger profile tyres will likely be quieter and more comfortable, less likely to get damaged during everyday use, and cheaper to replace the tyres on. (Note that the run-flats for them, on larger rims, are heinously expensive. My GF's cost ~£1000 for all four recently - thankfully it's a company car!)
    Its even worse for an actual M car. With 285 35 19's on the rear a run flat is near £300 each easy. Its mad, and run flats are shit.....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    Technically it won't be an every day car cos I spend most my time in my Transit to and from work etc and if i'm going anywhere on my own I take that too cos my company pays the fuel So i'll only really use it on the weekend with the family etc, my missis might use it once or twice during the week but considering I'm paying for it I don't care if she's comfortable or not!!
    I defo want the m-sport, mainly cos they look so much so thats the only one i'm after, plus I want the leather, could i not drop the run flat tyres anyway and have normal tyres?
    Would 60k miles be nothing to worry about on a 2008 car?

Cheers,
    Dave.

Rides
    @ Anyone in the know

Think i've found the perfect one, i'm very particular in what I want and this has everything and more, what do you guys think??

Its a 2007 520d (177bhp) m sport, 50k miles, still has 18 months at least on the servicing package, and has full BMW service history, tax and mot till Aug. Has the usual m sport spec, full leather etc, also has the sat nav which I believe is an expensive option? Its loaded with extra's including HUD too. Its in black, the alloys are a bit scuffed he said and a few stone chips in the bonnet (but I can't really see how you could avoid that on any car really) and a very small dent in the door from someone elses door (can only be seen at certain angles) I've not looked at the car yet as its a 3 1/2 hour drive away. He's asking £14,750 for it which I think is pretty good, i've offered £13,900 which he's considering, obvioulsy i'll go look at it and take payment but if I don't want it then I just want buy it.
    Oh it also has just had new fromt discs, pads and sensors.
    Sound good?
    Thanks,
    Dave.

Rides
    service pack goes up to 62k miles.

does sound like a good un.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PR200SX View Post
    service pack goes up to 62k miles.

does sound like a good un.
    Yeah its too perfect for me!! There's gotta be summit that I ent gonna like

Dave.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_S14 View Post
    Yeah its too perfect for me!! There's gotta be summit that I ent gonna like

Dave.
    Ah there we go!!!! Just found out its got finance still outstanding!! The bloke reakons a £1000 deposit for the car will clear the finance. Dunno wheather to steer clear now!

Dave.