Thread: VW Borings/Boras - talk to me :)

Rides

VW Borings/Boras - talk to me :)

I have spotted this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2275204.htm

Other than the wheels and the other minor mods, can anybody tell me what I should watch out for with it, and also how close the asking price is to realistic?

Thanks very much!

Ben

Rides
    As always full service history. Also, when you lock the car, check one door lock doesnt pop back up (happened on passat). On the VAG diesel turbos, there is like pcv valve piping that can get blocked- Someone else will be able to explain this better!
    I've had my petrol 150bhp passat for nearly two years and Im only selling because its boring as hell. There are no rattles and its never let me donw. Changed tie rod ends and 2 cv joints and it now needs new shocks up front but its x reg with alot of miles on.
    Done about 30k since I've had it!!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by EMENEAR View Post
    I've had my petrol 150bhp passat for nearly two years and Im only selling because its boring as hell.
    Mate had a Mk4 Golf GTi Turbo and sold it 6 months later for the same reason. Said it was a good car but he kept falling asleep driving it

Probably ok as a daily but it wont stir the soul
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I am only really worried about faults - I wont be driving it really, it'll be cheap for Elle to get to work and back for a while Thanks for the replies.

It's really just a bit of a deal, I dont know that I'll hang on to it long - if I can help it!

Rides
    x2. I've got a Seat Toledo as a daily, 150ps V5 so its not properly slow but is so dull to drive was dirt cheap though, if you don't fancy paying vw tax look at Seats

Rides
    I've got Seat Ibiza version of this with the same engine (assuming it's the PD130). Pretty much bullet proof as long as it is regularly serviced and oil changed. Had mine for year, doesn't use any oil, sometimes at idle you can feel the engine vibrate through the car, but this is common and not a problem. If it's been looked after and not ragged much then the engine will go forever

Rides
    Thanks for that chaps

I guess I need to keep an eye in the mirror when coming on boost to check for clouds, but hopefully it'll be all good!

Rides
    Front ARB bushes and rear beam bushes are the common faults - both are evident as clunking noises over bumps and dips. ARB bushes are cheap and easy to fit, but the rear beam bushes are a git to fit as you have to drop the whole beam and ideally use a press.

Just spent two days doing them on my golf.

Rides
    Is that the same on Bora's though as they have thicker anti roll bars as standard than the golf? Front arches are the common rust spots on these

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by reco2k View Post
    Is that the same on Bora's though as they have thicker anti roll bars as standard than the golf?
    23mm and 21mm are common on the GTi golfs and they all suffer the same issue as far as I know.

Rides
    Yeah, Boras apparently have thicker ARBs for improved handing I am sure it wont be that exciting.

Thanks for the advices though

Rides
    Never was a car more aptly named than the Bora

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Yeah, Boras apparently have thicker ARBs for improved handing I am sure it wont be that exciting.

Thanks for the advices though
    There's nothing more exciting than a FWD bora Diesel is there?? lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    the rear beam bushes are a git to fit as you have to drop the whole beam and ideally use a press.

Just spent two days doing them on my golf.
    You're doing it wrong then, I can replace both rear beam bushes in an hour and a half!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JuZ View Post
    You're doing it wrong then, I can replace both rear beam bushes in an hour and a half!
    I don't think I could do it anywhere near that Do you do them in-situ or drop the beam? I had to make a widget to pull them in after dropping the beam.

Although in the two days I did also fit a full set of coilovers, rear beam bushes, rear top mounts, bump stops, front ARB bushes and new style clips, front top mounts and bushes, rewired the wing indicator light and fit new rear brake pads. She handles a lot better now, but is perhaps a bit too chavvy low.

Rides
    It's something of a moot point, the owner of said boring decided to waste my evening.

Thanks for all the advice, not sure I'll get one now, having looked around one it's pretty un-inspiring and I am not sure I could bring myself to own one

Rides
    I had one for a couple of years a while back. I bought it to replacer a Jag XJ8 that had replaced my GTR33

I was actually surprised how nippy it was and it wasn;t all that bad to drive and live with. Very solid and so good on juice

When my stag goes I;m biting the bullet and getting myself a Golf or BORa diesel to help save for a deposit on next house

Rides
    this guy wanted to swap for mine ! hell accept 3500 now i think ! (bargain)