Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Sil80 Drift Project II - Rising Out of a Mountain of Ashes !

Rides
    ok..pub gas is shit its not welding very well from the new plate to the thin original panel

So im going to try and get some argon on saturday morning. Originally i thought it was me being a chump with the welder, but my old man confirmed its the gas

In the mean time while i get some gas, i cut the holes out properly to some decent metal (where its not thinner than paper! ).. holes are a little big lol. But it will patch up fine.

also cut out the bottom cross brace ! im guna stick some 50mm box section in there, the old man has taken the original panel to work to fab me up a bitchin new piece

Last edited by MagicMat; 25-01-2011 at 21:27.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lbulloc2 View Post
    CO2 sucks ass, use argoshield or energas equivalent
    Told ya

Rides
    Your doing some class work there lad!
    Keep it coming!

Wish I could weld! It's a very good skill to have

Rides
    Dam I need a dad like yours.

Rides
    Told ya
    if i was welding thicker plates like 1.5mm to 1.5mm it could be better, but its just blowing holes here and burning the metal away

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymo_sx View Post
    Your doing some class work there lad!
    Keep it coming!

Wish I could weld! It's a very good skill to have
    Im not amazing at welding, out of practice (last did it a few year ago on my mini) but i'll be welding the rest up. Definately a skill worth having, its just having the equipement which aint cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Waveydavey View Post
    Dam I need a dad like yours.
    ... I'm not sharing

Rides
    Only a small update,

got the rear arms back from being sandblasted, they look mint pretty much brand new now, no picture but im really happy with them.

I was going to paint them with the engine bay colour but have decided against it. My old is guna paint them at work now.

Also i've been having naughty ideas

..been wondering if i should flog the PS13 bits and just run a s13/180 front end. Part of me doesnt want to ruin rare stuff I could do with the cash for other projects and investments, but the half of me loves the Sil80-ness !

Also with all this bloody rust ! i've been having day dreams of sticking the SR in a 350z or Rx8...have you seen the price of Rx8's !! cheap as bloody chips !

Atm plans are not changing...but i keep having these day dreams
    Last edited by MagicMat; 28-01-2011 at 19:59.

Rides
    I keep thinking about selling my ps13 bits cus I still can't find a bloody bumper, but I need to at least get it on the car before I decide either way. It sucks tho, like you I keep thinking of all the stuff I could buy with the money tied up in some headlights and wings

I briefly looked into sr'ing my rx8, there is a fella in the states who set about converting his but I don't know whether he ever finished it

Rides
    Put the pop-ups back on, I had a Silvia front once just because back then it was different (it isn't anymore lol) but IMO the "proper" front actually looks much nicer
    Last edited by Pete C; 28-01-2011 at 18:10.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    I keep thinking about selling my ps13 bits cus I still can't find a bloody bumper, but I need to at least get it on the car before I decide either way. It sucks tho, like you I keep thinking of all the stuff I could buy with the money tied up in some headlights and wings

I briefly looked into sr'ing my rx8, there is a fella in the states who set about converting his but I don't know whether he ever finished it
    Yeah thats the thing, i could invest the cash into some other things, like seat time or another project etc.

SlideMotorsport have stuck an RB25 in an Rx8 so fitting an SR into one should be more than do-able

Not when i have an amazing set of Fabricators to hand

Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    Put the pop-ups back on, I had a Silvia front once just because back then it was different (it isn't anymore lol) but IMO the "proper" front actually looks much nicer
    Talking sense.. tempted by an aftermarket 180 front bumper or summat... or just facelift with a splitter

we'll see whats what

Rides
    Is Matt corrupting you?

Rides
    lol, he took me out in his NEW 350 daily lol... maybe i am being corrupted a little

Rides
    My friends got one, lovely car. But on 1bar boost I pull away from him, and that's without any mapping

Rides
    Wouldn't use the standard engine fella sr all the way atm

And anyway im guna finish this shell first, may drop the running gear into summat else next season... But hopefully not because it's written off!

Rides
    I'd keep the VQ and DIY turbo it, forged internals in there, and the 6 sounds lovely compared to a gurgly old SR. Makes sense though in your case to drop the SR in though!

Rides
    well got a little work done yesterday,

Borrowed my mums laguna estate so i could go and get some more gas (swap my bottle) but the place was bloody shut ! so no argon for me

However the pita was that I then had to replace the lagunas: Headlight, sidle lights, window wipers stereo and put air in the tyres !! this took time out of my day and my mum aint good with her cars .. my parents are separated, my dad takes care of his cars better

However I just used the C02 to weld some small pieces, mainly the brake pipe bracket onto the inner wing, My welding isn't as good as the master, but it will do for the non important areas

There is a fair bit of brown by the door hinges, i've taken the door off and wire wheeled it back. Im not sure whether to use KuRust and then some Zinc primer or some POR15 now that its arrived.

On a good note though, more parts are back from the Fabricators !

First off, rear camber arms !

Before

AFTER

They've come up really nice and the rose joints seem spot on, after some attention with a wire wheel they are like new !

And the Simple Master piece...apple of my eye is the replacement cross bar

The brackets on the back are for the radiator. One side of the box has been removed to allow the nuts to be welded inside, after that the side piece was reinstalled and shot blasted. I think it looks mint and you cant event see where its been cut !

May have to start making these as they could be a perfect replacement

Subframe retaining bolts were welded and blasted

Final thing to do was coat it all in Zinc so it doesn't rust

This went fine until the cross bar fell onto the airline for the welder ..guess i'll be shortening the pipe today

Rides
    Good work here Matt, those arms look like new after shot blasting.

I like that cross member, Id have one

Rides
    Cheers buddy

Guna paint the arms when we do the bay, so they'll look pretty

Cross members could be a good idea, just need to see how easy this one is to fit

Rides
    got loads done today but dont have too much to show for it, a lot of prep work for painting the bay and sorting the cross member.

Also got busy with the POR15 as i've run out of zinc.

Sorted the door, a couple of coats of grey por and then some black on top of that

Also attacked the turret tops, wire wheel to get rid of all the bubbles under the paint and then some POR again. this is after one coat, i've done two and the tops are looking quite good now

Did a load of other little bits too, but cant remember now

But im getting closer to getting it ready for paint. Guna ring around tomorrow and try to get some more Argon.. third time lucky !

Rides
    Good progress mate, I like that crossbar! Looks a good replacement!

Can't wait to see what your going to do with this paint wise

Rides

Unless Adam has already spilled the beans?