Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sil80 Drift Project II - Rising Out of a Mountain of Ashes !

Rides
    ok, maybe i'll borrow you him

Rides
    awesome

Rides
    Right i've got carried away and decided that im still going to try and attend mallory in feb ! not sure i have it in my head that i should ! but hey, if its done then i can use it for the summer !

Going to buy my ticket for mallory later today !

oh and also called the paint shop..im off to pick and buy my paint on saturday morning !

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMat View Post
    Right i've got carried away and decided that im still going to try and attend mallory in feb ! not sure i have it in my head that i should ! but hey, if its done then i can use it for the summer !

Going to buy my ticket for mallory later today !

oh and also called the paint shop..im off to pick and buy my paint on saturday morning !
    nice! spoke to Adam_s the other day! he tells me he is spraying under your bay next saturday! all going well he is spraying my car the friday night before! haha hes a busy guy!!

Rides
    Yeah Adam is a top guy. :

I was going to try and spray the interior and bay myself but he's still wanting to help me out with it...so i may as well let a pro do it ? ..altho i may ask to have a go on an easy bit

Looks like i may have to do some welding on the passenger floor as well ..need some more welding gas too

Rides
    Are you using small bottles mat? You seem to be constantly running out

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lbulloc2 View Post
    Are you using small bottles mat? You seem to be constantly running out
    not funny is it mate !

Im using a half size bottle, or maybe a third of the size of a big one..but it didnt have much in it. I havent done any welding since the weekend where we did the turret tops and innner wing,....so i havent run out of gas again...just still dont have any !

making enquires to have it topped up this weekend tho..so fingers crossed !

Rides
    looking good matey!!! if it were my car id have the engine bay a different colour too compliment another colour on the outside of the car, eg if wheels were white, white bay, but its your car!!!!! top marks either way!

Rides
    When I get myself a welder I am getting a gasless one, unless gas ones are way better?

Rides
    Don't buy a gasless mig, they are shite. Fact.

Just get a mig of 150amp or over, which can take full size bottles, X or Y size, then get an account at your local BOC or Energas supplier, bottle rental is fairly cheap

P.S. CO2 sucks ass, use argoshield or energas equivalent

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by lbulloc2 View Post
    Don't buy a gasless mig, they are shite. Fact.

Just get a mig of 150amp or over, which can take full size bottles, X or Y size, then get an account at your local BOC or Energas supplier, bottle rental is fairly cheap

P.S. CO2 sucks ass, use argoshield or energas equivalent
    Man knows his stuff !!

I refer to a gasless mig as a 'stick set' only problem is that they leave a lot of slag on the weld..

you can buy bottles tho and just pay to have them topped up, rather than paying for renting a bottle.

Place confirmed for Mallory !

Rides
    A stick welder is the slang for ARC welder, or MMA welder. Not a mig set
    An arc welder will leave a lot of (easy but time consuming to clean) slag on the weld, unless you are highly proficient in which case the slag will curl up and lift off the weld as it cools. A gasless MIG doesnt leave a great deal of slag, they just suffer a lot with poor penetration, inclusion and porosity of the weld

Can you buy proper sized bottles legally? As far as I know any decent sized bottles remain the property of the supplier. Unless you're refering to pub gas bottles or some kind of diving bottle? But they are hard to get filled

When I wanted to weld ally in the past and needed a pure argon supply but didnt want to pay rental on yet another bottle I convinced a local engineering firm to fill (equalise pressure) an old BOC Y Oxy bottle I had around, this was because BOC would not fill an incorrect bottle which was well out of test. I imagine most places will be the same

Rides
    again your spot on the money fella

stick/arc welder is what we sometimes use for brackets etc, but it does leave the shitty slag

On ebay there are companies offering to sell you a bottle and then you can have it refillied (i think that is how it works) but its about £25 for a refill. Not sure you can get the large bottles sorted tho, its a pain to fill em without renting them

Rides
    Matt...

completely love what your doing dude! will be a proper mint car!

wanna do a deal on your bonnet with mine!!?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clive View Post
    Matt...

completely love what your doing dude! will be a proper mint car!

wanna do a deal on your bonnet with mine!!?
    Cheers buddy, abit nervous about attending Mallory as the first day in it..but the lass really wants to go as its one of the few she can attend. I'll take it steady anyway

Hopefully the car will be Mint and i wont bend it

And your the third person to ask about the bonnet ! I'll have a look at yours but i think i'll be holding on to for now. (Altho i wont be drifting mallory with it on !)

Rides
    off to buy paint this morning guys !!

Rides
    Nice bay work
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Cheers pablo, considering your pretty handy with a spanner etc, I appreciate that

Rides
    Small update

Been buying some cheap parts.. partly consisting of some S13 rear camber arms Its been questioned whether they are Yashio Factory, howeverthey are identical to the Project D ones, so they must be some universal things.

Guna get the shot blasted and hopefully powercoated to spruse them up

I've also been doing some welding again, I'm letting my dad do the major stuff but im welding the smaller bits. I borrowed a massive bottle..which was just about ****ing empty. So now im on pub gas (CO2) and its actually alright.

Started welding the holes up in the archs, which started to become a nightmere. I had to weld a small square inplace of one hole because the metal is just so thin where its had rust ..so as i welded the edge it left hairline cracks next to the weld... so i blobbed another bit of weld on...which meant another crack !!! for an hour i was chasing my own bloody tail !

Anyway, got it done in the end and covered some Zinc Primer

Rides
    I've also been removing broken studs as there was quite a few ! figured being able to bolt the powersteering reservoir back on was a handy idea

I'd like to say that i hate mother ****ing roofing bolts !