Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Sil80 Drift Project II - Rising Out of a Mountain of Ashes !

Rides
    Wasn't this suppose to be ready for end of Jan!!?

Rides
    End of Feb

lol. Im blaming it on the shitty rotten S13 chassis and all the other things that have stood in my way.

Which will hopefully be over soon, Im looking forward to the interior being painted in the next couple of weeks and then I will start building, aim is to have it going to awesome fest !

Not sure if i'll get the exterior done by then though

Rides
    Sure I said before to hold out for a mint shell rather then grabbing the first shitter that come ago!

Rides
    this wasnt the first car...but it was a good buy. By buying this car and doing months of trading with this and my damaged shell it turns out my crash has cost me nothing and i've profited by gaining parts etc etc. BUT i have lost a lot of time. It all comes down to coin at the end of the day, and now i have a mortgage, i dont have much coin spare !

BUT since i bought the car back in ..Oct? I've seen that Evojeepgal was selling two 180sx shells cheap, which really did my nut in. But that they came up at the right money months after i'd started and i was too deep into this

BUT my welding has improved and I've learnt a fair wack

I've also come to realise that I've not welded up the aircon holes (argh) So im tempted to weld em up while I can.

Am i right in thinking that Box A is where the Aircon pipes are? ...is Box B also part of it?

What of Box C ? I remember it just being a random rubber pipe that faced downwards? again is this not needed?

If so i'll weld them up and have done with it. I also keep looking at the Arch's and keep thinking I should have tubbed them. However I only intend to run max, 17x9 or 17x9.5.

Not sure if this is going to cause problems in future?

Rides
    C weld

The two holes below A Weld

Dont Weld the hole to the left of B thats the wiring loom.

Depends on your offsets and lowness if you'll run into problems with your wheels.

bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Oh yeah ! B is for the ECU loom

Cheers Pablo

A and C it is !

Yeah i know it all depends on Offsets and all that jazz, Im just getting fed up with it and want it done ! Maybe next winter i'll whip the engine out and tub them

But until then i think they are staying

Rides
    box b is for the wiring loom.

i ran 17" by 9.5 et 25 or 35 all round on my s13 with 265/30/17rear & 235/35/17 front. camber was 1.2 front and 2.2 rear which was as much as we could take out. aches had been rolled a very small amount

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    box b is for the wiring loom.

i ran 17" by 9.5 et 25 or 35 all round on my s13 with 265/30/17rear & 235/35/17 front. camber was 1.2 front and 2.2 rear which was as much as we could take out. aches had been rolled a very small amount
    Cheers for that fella, nice and helpful

Rides
    been doing a far bit of work recently, and had a shit weekend though and my pc is currently out of action.

but this is where im at

oups hahah

I've given myself one week to get it painted and on its floor, well, less than that if i get my way !!

Rides
    double post
    Last edited by MagicMat; 26-04-2011 at 12:45.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Top parking that dude

Rides
    Good work Matt, looking forward to the pics in a weeks time

Rides
    Has Rob seen it on it's side? did he chuckle.

I cant wait to get stuck in on it over the weekend, get some good progress done.

Rides
    thanks guys. it went over really easily to be honest... robs probably seen it now, but he wasnt there when i rolled it lol

hopefully we can have it ready for interior paint by the end of the weekend mate

oh i need to talk to dawn about saturday, food and cinema etc etc

Rides
    Send her a message on facebook with your number.

Rides
    Hi guys,

haven't updated the thread for a while, partly because im having issues with my mac so im on an old pc

The other reason is that im trying to fill the thread with less shit

So,

with the car on its side i brought the huge wirebrush/angle grinder out and ran over the underside of the car. I didnt want to bring it back to bare metal, but i did want to remove most of the crap and road gunk.

On closer inspection, the underside didnt have any nasty surprises, except for one small hole in the bottom of the sill.

but that was welded up !

The other areas, which i thought were crap,..were crap !

There were two previous patches in the bottom of the arch and in the inner sill, they were both welded poorly so i took them off

The lower patch was really bad it had been poorly welded and then covered in filler and sealant..all in an effort to hide it from the MOT man.

I stripped it off, cleaned it up and attempted to finish the job, which someone else had started.

However im not happy with this, the welding isn't amazing to be honest, so im going to patch ontop of it

Another problem area was the chassis rail patch on the drivers side I pryed the patch with a screw driver and it would lift off. To cure this and not go crazy, I ran a weld across the side of the patch which actually penetrated

old patch, nice eh?

Here it is from the top when i'd finished, notice the little patch on the right, thats there because there was a hole !! ..was the same on the other side,..why patch something and leave little holes?

Aircon holes prepared for welding

Also found that a sill repair patch hadnt been welded at one side...it had just been covered in filler.. i mean wtf !?

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...428_142409.jpg

I have welded it now though.

All of the work has been going quite well... until It caught fire

My bro had come over and did a little welding, (while i made patches, as he didnt want the shitty jobs) ..and then all of a sudden a fire started !! Turns out i'd left some of the paper on the windscreen and a blob of weld jumped over and set it on fire ! The flames got pretty large and were licking the roof of the garage but... luckily I had a tiny fire extinguisher on hand, and after some crazed running around by me, my girlfriend and the owner of the garage I managed to put it out. Altho now the screen is yellow and interior is covered in foam !

and funnily enough it doesnt taste very nice !

anyway back onto the car,

rear bins are rotten ..surprisingly? oh and the rear exhaust hanger fell to bits ! ...good old scottish road salt !

another fun story from recent work is when i was inside the car and smacked my head on the steering column bracket ... blood was running down my face and i had to keep wiping it away with the back of my hand.... It wasnt ideal and my gf was not impressed, head wounds really bleed lots !! .. my accident record just keeps getting worse
    Last edited by MagicMat; 02-05-2011 at 22:07.

Rides
    But for the rest of the weekend i had people with me, so i knew i couldnt do anything too stupid. WaveyDavey came over for the weekend and brought his lass's celica which had failed its mot

So while he was meant to be helping me, some of that time was spent on the car, but sometimes needs must and MOTS take priority

However Dave did help by giving a hand by undersealing the car with me, although he did tell me off as i applied the underseal, "only you would apply underseal nicely under the car"

We also painted the rails and front arches in zinc, i've done this because zinc is a corrosion preventer. Plus i have it, so why not use it? I also intend to paint the floor pan to each side of the rail. (dont worry i have some stuff to etch it, so the underseal will adhere)

Today was spent making some repair panels that complimented my OCD nicely,

I started with cardboard

and then made them out of steel with a lot of patience

..and a bud !

Before i completed the Panel for the otherside, i randomly got a text from billyboy772, asking if he could come over and have a gander, i decided it wasnt a bad idea, so had another bud and a chat, was good to meet ya fella

I then made got back to work and made a panel for the other side

I haven't welded them in yet, i decided to paint the funky panels underneath with some zinc, in an effort to try and slow down the rust monster

Thats kinda where im at atm, I going to finish these two patches, and then finish the one my dad started as he made a bitchin patch !

you can see it on the right here

but once they are done the car can be undersealed and dropped back down, i intend to do the rear arch work with the car on axel stands.

So hopefully the car will be back on its feet soon !! ..plus i've bought my tickets for awesome fest and helen says "it best be ****ing ready" !!

So i'll keep working

Rides
    Good work dude, that brings back memories. Bet your glad you got it up on its side now.

Rides
    Yeah I'm glad I know what's underneath, plus its easier to weld these bits with the car on its side. I'm just glad there isn't any more.rot I had visions of finding the same rot that you found

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk

Rides
    had the front subframe blasted...so tempted to move the rack 10mm..

..hmm..