Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Sil80 Drift Project II - Rising Out of a Mountain of Ashes !

Rides
    Think i'm welding up a 206 and fitting a gearbox to my step-dads almera each night this week

So seeing as thought tonight was my only night to myself I skipped the local SXOC meet (sorry guys) and put a good 4-5 hours into the car.

I'm aiming to have the interior prepped and ready for primer. However the obsticle that I currently need to overcome is finding a 50Litre plus compressor for the larger spray gun. The 25l comp that i have wont cut it for the top coat. I looked at renting one but at £60 for the first day and £30 after.. i dont think so ! Comp's are £150-200 new but i dont really have that kind of cash spare...

Anyway, last night I had a bit of headache when it came to the sound deadening, all of it was removed however there was lots of residue and little bits left everywhere, I tried a heat gun but that didnt really do much, so i swapped that for a plumbers propane blow torch ..worked a treat..heating it up and then wiping away the excess, which was fab until my rag set on fire

I started at the front and did a section at a time.

you can see some of the old bits here,

and then after some elbow grease

by 11pm I'd managed to do all the interior up to the boot ! However I still need to removed the sticky gung off the rear arches and getting it off the transmission tunnell was a bitch !

As per the norm,... cleaning on the car resulted in finding more holes

Looks like i'll be attacking the rear arches and doing some more patching..maybe.

I've also been looking at the rear arch tubs and wondering whether i should weld a plate in for the roll cage, The cage i have is an Apex bolt in jobbie, I have spreader plates..so unsure whether to leave it with just spreader plates

Rides
    Thats just a little hole that, have that welded up in a jiffy.

Good work on getting all that crap of with the torch.

Rides
    Yeah the little hole will be easy to sort,..just debating welding it from the inside or in the wheel arch.

as per previous posts, just debating throwing the car on its side, cleaning it off and undersealing it. However Im scared about what shit and holes i'll find. But im this deep into the project, ..may as well go alittle further?

Rides
    A little further then a little further then a little further, I know what you mean but give yourself a cut off point on how mad you go.

Rides
    what was that phrase you used on saturday ?

"it would only take 2 minutes"

which all add up

I think it would be worth putting it on its side, just to check there is no important welding which needs to be done. Otherwise it could damge the interior paint

Rides
    Yeh I am one for that, if the proect is this far and the shell is empty then you may aswell take the benefit of the fact but then part of me also says get it built and used.

Rides
    You done the almera and 206 yet? any more hours put in on the sil80?

You decided if your going to put the car on it's side?

Rides
    Nice sig pic

Almera was finished at midnight last night but I'm ****ed tonight and needed a break

206tomorrow night

Not 100% about whether I throw it on it's side, I'll think it over

Rides
    Just wekding to do on 206 aint it? how much welding is the thing though, may look like just a little bit but start poking and before you know it it's a big job.

It's also good to have a break and have a night of doing sweet FA and relaxing.

What are you a jedi? your going to think the car over on it's side?

Rides
    I think the 206 wants the lower sill welding and then the seat belt mount ! i mean its a 2002 206 ffs ! welding!!!

I'm not sure if im going to put it on its side, Im tempted not to, the car isn't going to last forever and i dont intend for it to. But if i do push it over, I will use the force hah

Plus i've read dunkz thread and fook me ! i dont want to take the underside to bare metal and repaint ! I think i may just take a wire brush to the underside, then rust coverter and shutz,..nice and simple

Rides
    wonder if the inside of mine will get painted before yours....
    SLIDEMOTORSPORT - Find us in the traders section or call 01977 647277

Rides
    Probably as your doing yours this morning! Plus you haven't had to do a load of structural welding

I'm trying not to be disheartened but te time I've pu into restoring this.... No sure if i'll do another s13, well maybe not to the same anal spec

Rides
    ive had to do a fair bit of prep on the inside tho, youve just gotta draw the line somewhere, there loads of bits id like to do better but there just isnt time and money to do it.

on the shell front...ive already got another z shell lined up, i think you should have it haha
    SLIDEMOTORSPORT - Find us in the traders section or call 01977 647277

Rides
    If you've got another z shell mate, **** it ill have it!

Lol I was probably a bit quick to say that

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk

Rides
    Is this actually going to be a track car or a full restoration!!!

Rides
    Track!!!!

I just don't want to be welding again in a year,

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk

Rides
    looking good bud. keep at it mate, im sure you will have it finished one day

i must admit tho all tho i have striped mine out alot of the stuff is going back in it was just a matter of take everything out to find holes, weld up and then re-fit

Rides
    Cheers fella,

I came to an arrangement yesterday with the neighbour, So looks like i'll be using his garage for the remainder of the build

Stripping it out is definately a good way to find any bits of rust !

This week i'm going to tip the car on its side and get busy, There as also been some major welding going off with the drivers inner sill, so photos will be coming for that soon

Rides

is that one of the mini spray guns from ebay??? if so what do you think of it? as i've got one in my watch list as i'm considering buying it since i have a compressor doing nothing in my garage at home.

car's progress is looking good!

Rides
    The Guy in the picture is adam,

He mainly lives on driftworks but his details are here

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/member.php?u=26085

He did Jaymo's car and is a painter from sheffield : thumbs

It wont be an ebay special mate, but a similar idea. Its a smaller gun that is used for mobile repairs, scuffs and chips etc. My father in law has a chips away franchise and his gun cost about £300+ so i think adams will be somewhere similar.

But no harm in getting a cheap one, I've used cheap ones in the past, they do the job and if you like it you can always upgrade