Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunny1600 says hi from the Netherlands with S12 Grand Prix

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    There are only 4 DOHC FJ engined S12s taxed in UK. And only one of those is right year to have any possibility of being a GP. There maybe 1 GP sorn.

S12 turbo 76 taxed, 96 sorn.
    S12 turbo auto 22 taxed, 34 sorn.

The wiki says that the bonnet bulge was fitted on turbos, that may be true for USA. For UK (Europe?) the bonnet bulge was fitted to DOHC and had DOHC in letters about 1cm high across the fake air inlet.
    I presume you're quoting howmanyleft, which has been proven to not be accurate at all.....also I think S13eater knows what a genuine GP is.....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CamInHead View Post
    I presume you're quoting howmanyleft, which has been proven to not be accurate at all.....also I think S13eater knows what a genuine GP is.....
    The DVLA was computerised by '84, I doubt many UK Silvia are listed as Nissan "missing" or "unknown". The number off road may be out as some could have been put away before SORN and never used or sold since Jan 1998. But it's not like Aston DB5's where about 100 have been "found", restored and in some cases re-registered (1-4 a year) over last 20 or so years.

Was the GP ever sold in RHD in UK?

Rides
    I sat behind this car for an entire lap of the ring. I was quite distracted to say the least. Met you guys at JAE too

the beast from the north east (derbyshire)
    Rides
    the bulge (fake air inlet ) was, i think, because of the fj engine sits higher than the ca and the mk2 bulged bonnet was'nt about by this time.

Rides
    Was the one on whittington moor blue/silver. I saw one saturday on sheffield road.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by RichP View Post
    Was the one on whittington moor blue/silver. I saw one saturday on sheffield road.
    no it was white, it was mine, i wonder where that appeared from then ? the only other i know of down that way is a mk1 in light blue but that off the road, i know the guy, he's sold it someone for a kit car project, there was a couple of red ones down eckington way a few years back, then i saw a red mk1 s12 going up markham road last summer.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    The DVLA was computerised by '84, I doubt many UK Silvia are listed as Nissan "missing" or "unknown". The number off road may be out as some could have been put away before SORN and never used or sold since Jan 1998. But it's not like Aston DB5's where about 100 have been "found", restored and in some cases re-registered (1-4 a year) over last 20 or so years.

Was the GP ever sold in RHD in UK?
    No, it was euro zone LHD only. Even Japan never got them, which makes them all the more remarkable.

They did a CA18DE Bluebird Gran Prix, too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CamInHead View Post
    No, it was euro zone LHD only. Even Japan never got them, which makes them all the more remarkable.

They did a CA18DE Bluebird Gran Prix, too.
    No more so than the S13 Executive, model is UK only. Initially importer (AFG) had cars that didn't meet the spec upgraded in UK. A bit later they stopped bothering about air-con and sunroof, it was just alloy wheels and headlamp wash.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways Danny View Post
    I sat behind this car for an entire lap of the ring. I was quite distracted to say the least. Met you guys at JAE too
    Thats awesome. Got some footage maybe?

The GP was only sold in Germany and I believe but am not certain about this also in Switzerland or Austria. The Netherlands never had the GP version S12 sold so it is indeed very exclusive.

I indeed met some guys of sxoc last time at JAE. Was good to meet some in the flesh instead of behind the screen.

Bulge in the hood is because the FJ is too high to put under the normal bonnet.
    MK2 S12 are all with CA18ET iirc.
    Nissan stopped to put in the strong but expensive FJs in the 12's

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by S13 EATER View Post
    no it was white, it was mine, i wonder where that appeared from then ? the only other i know of down that way is a mk1 in light blue but that off the road, i know the guy, he's sold it someone for a kit car project, there was a couple of red ones down eckington way a few years back, then i saw a red mk1 s12 going up markham road last summer.
    one lives on wharf lane

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by RichP View Post
    one lives on wharf lane
    oh right, i'll have to go and have a look at that, cheers,

Rides
    Long story....

Saturday the 22th of October me and my buddy Jano went to collect the FJ20 from a German member of SXCE who lives in the Saarland.

Then I had to wait until a member of the Dutch Nissanclub (Kevin aka B12-power and known by some S12 guys from tati-motorsport with the red S12 Grand Prix FJ20ET) had time to swap the engine.
    In the meanwhile there came another FJ20 for sale on Nissanboard (a german Nissan forum). So I bought that one too and it was shipped to me because it was in Dresden (near the Czech border)

And then it was time for the engine swap.
    DAY 1
    We started early in the morning. Making sure the engine was free from the body. Decided to also take out the gearbox because there was a seal that needed replacement. This has been on the to do list for quite some time so better do this also.
    This was my first engine swap, fortunately Kevin has done this before. And also with S12 GP’s.

Radiator out, engine mounts loose, lots of hoses/ clips loose, en finally taken out the FJ20.
    It was done quickly, gearbox disconnected from the FJ20. Seal replaced, easy fix when the gearbox is out of the car.

Seal replaced

Old picture
    On the swap engine we took away the sump. Welded a bung in the sump so in this way the oiltemp sensor can be mounted.
    Exhaust manifold screwed off.
    And then we to mount the gearbox back on the FJ. After a lot of fitting, refitting etc this was done. Clutch plate was still looking good so no need to replace that.

FJ mounted back in the GP. Reconnected everything en tried to fit the aftermarket manifold. Wouldn’t fit because it would hit both the bulkhead and the handlebar. So the OE manifold mounted back.

Refill the fluids and see if we got it started. Tried a lot of things but couldn’t get it to run. Because it was running late decided to go home and start again tomorrow.
    Kevin decided to try some more
    [quote author=B12-power link=topic=36799.msg631105#msg631105 date=1327007933]
    After 15 seconds it began to run on 4 cylinders…. Not bad for a engine that stood still for some years. The distributor looks shabby, so needs replacement.
    http://youtu.be/-sKOsPHzL1Y [/quote]

Rides
    DAY 2
    Planning: Wire up things and connect the Zeitronics ZT2 further.
    Off course the planning didn’t go as planned. All started good. Start and the engine was running sweet. Time for a test-drive. All was good until I revved the car. Engine started to shock alot, so back to the garage. We where literally standing in front of his house when the engine wouldn’t start again, so had to push the car. Got it running again and quickly put the car into the garage.
    Rotor and distributor taken off again and compared with the distributor of the other engine. Rotor was different, from the “new” engine was higher and thicker.

This one comes from the Nissan dealer

And this one was one the “new” engine.
    Fixed the rotor and mounted it. Start the engine… nothing…
    Check ignition, check timing. After f*cking around for some time we saw that the rotor was not correctly mounted in position. So switched the spark plug wires. 1 became 4, 2 became 3 and vice versa. Start it and it was running sweet again.
    Distributor and rotor taken out again and placed correctly, spark plug wires mounted correctly. Made a test drive and it was all good.
    Connected the Zeitronics and decided that the controller will come in the place of the time clock. Good visibility and easy to mount.

I went to collect the GP and the starter engine died. So got towed a few meters, second gear and when doing around 20kms let the clutch come on. Drove the car back home to the garage and noticed the coolant temp wasn´t correctly displayed. Saw the oil temp on the ZT2 so knew it was all good.
    Things to fix.
    - coolant sensor or display.
    - Starter
    - Distributor

Rides
    WOW super1600, that´s a pretty amazing rebuild.

I´m living also in the netherlands (but i´m spanish), i hope one day i can see it in any SXOC meeting

I have one doubt, was too expensive to "import the car". I mean to pay taxes and obtain the license plate.

Dank je wel en gefeliciteerd!!!!

Rides
    Hi Takeshi

I intend to go to one this year yes. No it was not expensive. The most expensive part is too transport the car. It is older then 17.5 years so no BPM taxes added. Just pay for the papers (part 1 and 2) and that is like 100.25euro last year and pay to get license plates made. So say about 130euro roughly that is what importing costed me. Off course the car itself and transport made it more expensive.

And the best part. I dont have to pay road taxes because the car is from pre 1987 and I can insurance it very cheap.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny1600 View Post
    Hi Takeshi

I intend to go to one this year yes. No it was not expensive. The most expensive part is too transport the car. It is older then 17.5 years so no BPM taxes added. Just pay for the papers (part 1 and 2) and that is like 100.25euro last year and pay to get license plates made. So say about 130euro roughly that is what importing costed me. Off course the car itself and transport made it more expensive.

And the best part. I dont have to pay road taxes because the car is from pre 1987 and I can insurance it very cheap.
    woooow sunny1600. I´m impressed with the amount you paid. Is absolutely nothing. Everybody here is telling me that importing a car is a mess and expensive as well. What at the end makes it not worth it.
    In your case i can see how cheap was.
    If the car is not an oldtimer, how will be the BPM?

My s14a will be in 3 weeks here, so hope we can see in a meeting. Are you going 1st of April to Assen??

Bedank!!!!!!

Rides
    I am not going to Automaxx but I am going to JAF at Zandvoort 29th of april.

I have no idea how much the BPM will be, you should ask people that have imported a S14a. They would be able to give you a more precise number. But I see you already have bought it so you will find out yourself soon enough

Rides
    Hey Mark ever been to the Bergrennen hill climbs ? They look IMMENSE!

Rides
    No Peter I have never been there.

I rather drive the GP than stand there watching other cars. Watching other cars racing on the Nordschleife doesn't appeal to me either. I want to drive.

I have asked around for you on the German part but no luck yet. When I find something you will hear from me.

Rides
    So I have replaced the starter, but still the car wouldnt start. So I have been trying to fix the problem but didn't had the time for it atm. So I towed the car this week to my buddy and he should take a look at it.
    Problem had something to do with the spark plug wires and the coil. I switched one of the plug wires with the wire from the coil in the dizzy cap. Stupid mistake... hence the non running explained!

Yesterday we had a meeting I organised in Eindhoven. So perfect opportunity to drive the GP.

There where some things that caught my attention.
    - in fifth gear on acceleration there is a "strange" noise. Hard to describe and maybe I am exaggerating but I dont trust it completely.
    - at start of the engine there is a strange hard noise coming from the starter or perhaps the flywheel?
    - the coolant temp gauge in my dash is living his own live. Driving it is almost on the left side (cold) and when I have the car running stationary it goes to the center. Probably the thermostat needs replacement.

To do list 2012

- solve problems above
    - upgrade my radiator with a thicker alu rad. And see what is possible with the use of (slim) fans etc.
    - replace the coolant hoses
    - have the recaro's collected here and welded in
    - deep dish steering wheel
    - weld a strutbrace front
    - normal maintenance
    - drive the GP on the circuits

Winter 2012
    - remove the subframe/chassis and have it all powdercoated or with PU paint sprayed (apparently better/ more bulletproof then coating)
    - Energy Suspension PU-bushes mounting
    - coilover setup
    - 5 lug converion
    - brake upgrade

Circuitplans
    - hit the Nordschleife in Germany a couple of times
    - Japfest 2 Donnington Park (bought already 4 sessions of tracktime)
    - if possible do some laps on the Hungaroring in Hungary. The F1 track which is also open a few days a year for trackdays.

Meetings
    - the local Eindhoven meetings
    - JAF (Japanese Auto Festival in the Netherlands)
    - JAE (Japanese Auto Extravaganza in the UK)
    - Nürmeet (German SX meeting near/on the Ring)

Some pics of my car at the meeting yesterday.