Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: £35k RS500 Cosworth

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    I like the RS500 but, strange as it may seem, I prefer the Sapphire Cosworth
    Not strange really - you had an intimate time with one (oo err ) whereas you've presumably not spent any real time around an RS500, it's a mythical beast in comparison.

It truly is one of those you get it or you don't moments. Si summed it up on the other thread about what you would have what he said of the mustang - doesn't have to be the best, just how it makes you feel.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    the rs200 is a legend and had a way better BDA type engine,(belt drive A series),the 200 used a bdg i think??
    So the pissy little FORD KA Kent OHV engine is better than the OHC Pinto?

Kent stated life in 1959 as 1L and was stoked to 1500cc. 1600cc for BDA. It was comparable to the BMC "A" series Mini engine or Datsun A10. Instead of fitting SR's and RB's we should all be running off to fit 4 valve heads to A14's/E15.

BDG was derived from the OHV X-flow which was itself derived from the Kent with a new X-flow head.

RS200 used a alloy block and was a BDT (BD Turbo). This was derived from an alloy block that was produced by Ford to use BDG parts.
    http://7faq.com/contribute/owbase/ow...nd+development

Pinto was designed 20 years later in 1970 with a range of sizes from 1.3L to 2L and ultimate versions were bored/stroked to 2.5L. It was comparable to the BL "O" series or Datsun L series. If it (or YB) had been given the 30+ year development program and use in dozens of other race series that the BD had it would have slayed any BD engine. But it was useless for all the small capacity classes where the BD shone as the Pinto/YB's size and weight (even if it had been produced in alloy versions) would count against it.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    but the pinto(205/yb series)started life as a water pump for fire engines,till ford thought hmm we can put that in a car,
    just another £34,000 over priced dagenham dustbin with a water pump engine to me tbh
    I really don't believe that Ford would do a clean sheet development for an engine for use on a water pump. It's not their business, production volume is too low. If they produced a water pump engine it would be from an existing engine. Cosworth have never made water pump engines of any type. Not a single mention of a water pump anywhere, except for (no Coventry Climax "Godiva" engine here) in above link. Now that was a water pump engine.

Rides
    worth every penny.

stupid to look at it as ' a ford sierra'. my neighbor had one, # 250-60 ( cant remeber) had an interesting back story. 35k on the clock and that went for 23k... the back story affected the value a lot sadly but it was mint. it was running 490bhp so far from stock too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SX_BIG View Post
    worth every penny.

stupid to look at it as ' a ford sierra'. my neighbor had one, # 250-60 ( cant remeber) had an interesting back story. 35k on the clock and that went for 23k... the back story affected the value a lot sadly but it was mint. it was running 490bhp so far from stock too.
    "back story", you mean it was stolen / recovered?

Rides
    nah - well sorta ( timeline isnt exact! lol)

car was black outta the factory.

was stolen after being 6 months old, taken 2 miles down the road and was set a light. fire was put out quickly and did little damage

car was sent back to ford and was given a bare shell respray in what was then, the more desireable 'white'

problem was - number 2** is meant to be black and not white... if your a ford purist buying one of these, this causes a problem.

my neighbor who had it did his nut as it was in his ownership when he found out. he had done the hpi check but it was before they had the facility to check colour etc. ( he went mental and clamed compensation from them as the car instantly dropped in value)

car weas beautiful, the guy who owned it was a nice bloke too.

Rides
    ok years back same as the coventry climax (hillman imp) i was told or read in tripple 'c' dave walker possibly thats what the pinto started life as in the side of a fire engine saxon possibly?? and must be pre 70s as it came fitted in '71 mk3 cortinas mk1 rs2s etc.
    the ka x/flow is a 3 bearing main valencia engine and that is a sh&t engine tbh the proper 'ba' x/flow is 5 main and much better,maybe i seem harsh on the sohc pinto just a heavy old lump compared to the x/flow.
    but as usual i quote from memory and yet again humbled buy skyshack.
    must read and stop quoting