Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: £35k RS500 Cosworth

Rides
    So its a tidy, low mileage but modified Sierra? In my mind, its £20k but then I guess I'm not the target market.
    Saying that, I'd happily pay (if I had the money) over £20k for a MK1 RS2000, so I agree that old Fords do seem to sell for more than their apparent worth.

Rides
    Simple law of supply and demand governs the price.

To suggest an RS500 as a chav car is an act of chavness itself
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Waveydavey View Post
    Now thats a completely different kettle of fish

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
    So its a tidy, low mileage but modified Sierra? In my mind, its £20k but then I guess I'm not the target market.
    Saying that, I'd happily pay (if I had the money) over £20k for a MK1 RS2000, so I agree that old Fords do seem to sell for more than their apparent worth.
    its a 'little' more than a modified sierra........i think there would be very few parts of it that you could say where the same as a sierra.

it annoys me at how blind/narrow minded some people can be. this thing DOMINATED in its time.
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Yin View Post
    Now thats a completely different kettle of fish
    indeed
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    its a 'little' more than a modified sierra........i think there would be very few parts of it that you could say where the same as a sierra.
    I think you missed my sarcasm, the point I was making was its not a standard 500, it hasnt even got amazingly low mileage, its a modified Cossie with lowish miles, thats it. If it was totally standard with almost no miles, then yes, it'd be worth a fortune...
    Admittedly in their time, they were the car to have, I remember hanging out at the market square as a youth, a few of the "big boys" had 2.8i Capri's, but the real daddy was the Sierra Cosworth, and the man who knew someone who had an RS500 was god! So yes, I know how revered they are but ultimately, as Scottie said, the market will decide its true worth.

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, but its all relative though. Its only worth it if you have that sort of money burning a hole in your pocket. I don't think I would buy one, even if I had £35K to spank, as there are other cars that I would rather own (Lotus Carlton for example). That said you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Clickme

Rides
    robbed for sig quote

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    robbed for sig quote
    YAY!! I finally said something worth quoting

Clickme

Rides
    found another one on passionford http://passionford.com/forum/cars-fo...prov-sold.html

28 grand its an old post but a nice example

Rides
    it annoys me at how blind/narrow minded some people can be. this thing DOMINATED in its time.
    You mean turned a race series into a one make/model procession.

Rides
    Fully appreciate their heritage and motorsport success but cosworth's have never done anything for me at all, not even as a lad.

I'm sure that will sell though as plenty of people out there would swap their full quota of testes for one like that.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    Fully appreciate their heritage and motorsport success but cosworth's have never done anything for me at all, not even as a lad.

I'm sure that will sell though as plenty of people out there would swap their full quota of testes for one like that.
    Exactly my feelings.

Besides, it's OBVIOUS that it's over priced. It's been for sale, in that same advert, for the best part of a year. As Scottie rightly says, supply and demand dictates the market, and since it's not selling but other Sierra's are (presumably) trading, it's too much money.
    '99 S14A Garage Find (off the road since 2007) - WIP

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Besides, it's OBVIOUS that it's over priced. It's been for sale, in that same advert, for the best part of a year. As Scottie rightly says, supply and demand dictates the market, and since it's not selling but other Sierra's are (presumably) trading, it's too much money.
    Not sure on that - it's just one of those things, you have to find someone that way inclined and with the right amount of expendable cash. Problem with cars like these is that if you've got £35k to spend on a car you've got such an option of cars within that range you'd find it hard to justify spending it on a car that you'd feel guilty driving.

Not so long ago there was a particularly well specced and good looking 180SX for sale that was worth absolutely every penny of the asking price but although there was interest it just didn't sell. It's because again, if you have £9k to spend on a car you can have your pick of a lot of other machinery. You have to REALLY want it I guess.

Rides
    I would agree that's a fair assessment, but if it's been up there that long without a solid buyer you would think they'd adjust the price to suit. I would have also expected underbody shots for that price of old Ford given how fussy classic Ford owners can be.
    '99 S14A Garage Find (off the road since 2007) - WIP

Rides
    yeh but im 23, i dont give a shit about the past, history and all that crap. its that just history. dont get me wrong theres a few good ones around that are tuned up nicley. but i just dont get why every 1 has to cream over the past when they see one of these

Rides
    i cant help remember they were a car in their day,and that winning so many races made it the car of the decade but the pinto(205/yb series)started life as a water pump for fire engines,till ford thought hmm we can put that in a car, actually lots of cars and vans that kind off dulls its appeal to me.
    iconic status aside some nut case will pass up thousands of better driving/handling cars just to have a real RS500 for a collection.
    just another £34,000 over priced dagenham dustbin with a water pump engine to me tbh

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by donnylad View Post
    yeh but im 23, i dont give a shit about the past, history and all that crap. its that just history. dont get me wrong theres a few good ones around that are tuned up nicley. but i just dont get why every 1 has to cream over the past when they see one of these
    Give it ten years and you'll be the same about a shitty old Nissan. It's called nost***ia

Rides
    I think its very much each to their own. Ford fans would buy it if they had the cash lying around just as much as we would buy a nice 200 or skyline example.
    Im sure there is plenty of ford fans wondering why we pay what we would for our cars?
    I personally like the rs500 and can understand its following. As a kid it was one of my OOOooooo........ cars when i saw one driving by.

Cheers Aj