Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 86

Thread: 35k RS500 Cosworth

  1. #21
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    3,325
    Rides
    0
    So its a tidy, low mileage but modified Sierra? In my mind, its 20k but then I guess I'm not the target market.
    Saying that, I'd happily pay (if I had the money) over 20k for a MK1 RS2000, so I agree that old Fords do seem to sell for more than their apparent worth.

  2. #22
    Head Mod Scottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    St. Helens / Snowdonia
    Posts
    16,943
    Rides
    0
    Simple law of supply and demand governs the price.

    To suggest an RS500 as a chav car is an act of chavness itself
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

  3. #23
    Guest Waveydavey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Darlington and York
    Posts
    1,570
    Rides
    0

  4. #24
    Guest The Big Yin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    falkirk, scotland
    Posts
    5,567
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Waveydavey View Post
    Now thats a completely different kettle of fish

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    leconfield, nr beverley
    Posts
    20,294
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
    So its a tidy, low mileage but modified Sierra? In my mind, its 20k but then I guess I'm not the target market.
    Saying that, I'd happily pay (if I had the money) over 20k for a MK1 RS2000, so I agree that old Fords do seem to sell for more than their apparent worth.
    its a 'little' more than a modified sierra........i think there would be very few parts of it that you could say where the same as a sierra.

    it annoys me at how blind/narrow minded some people can be. this thing DOMINATED in its time.
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    leconfield, nr beverley
    Posts
    20,294
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Yin View Post
    Now thats a completely different kettle of fish
    indeed
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

  7. #27
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    3,325
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    its a 'little' more than a modified sierra........i think there would be very few parts of it that you could say where the same as a sierra.
    I think you missed my sarcasm, the point I was making was its not a standard 500, it hasnt even got amazingly low mileage, its a modified Cossie with lowish miles, thats it. If it was totally standard with almost no miles, then yes, it'd be worth a fortune...
    Admittedly in their time, they were the car to have, I remember hanging out at the market square as a youth, a few of the "big boys" had 2.8i Capri's, but the real daddy was the Sierra Cosworth, and the man who knew someone who had an RS500 was god! So yes, I know how revered they are but ultimately, as Scottie said, the market will decide its true worth.

  8. #28
    Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    2,875
    Rides
    0
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, but its all relative though. Its only worth it if you have that sort of money burning a hole in your pocket. I don't think I would buy one, even if I had 35K to spank, as there are other cars that I would rather own (Lotus Carlton for example). That said you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

    Clickme

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    leconfield, nr beverley
    Posts
    20,294
    Rides
    0
    robbed for sig quote
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

  10. #30
    Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    2,875
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    robbed for sig quote
    YAY!! I finally said something worth quoting

    Clickme

  11. #31
    Guest shanekerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,656
    Rides
    0
    found another one on passionford http://passionford.com/forum/cars-fo...prov-sold.html

    28 grand its an old post but a nice example

  12. #32
    Guest
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Burton on Trent
    Posts
    11,134
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    it annoys me at how blind/narrow minded some people can be. this thing DOMINATED in its time.
    You mean turned a race series into a one make/model procession.

  13. #33
    Guest Delboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Dark back alleys
    Posts
    7,079
    Rides
    0
    Fully appreciate their heritage and motorsport success but cosworth's have never done anything for me at all, not even as a lad.

    I'm sure that will sell though as plenty of people out there would swap their full quota of testes for one like that.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    19,732
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
    Fully appreciate their heritage and motorsport success but cosworth's have never done anything for me at all, not even as a lad.

    I'm sure that will sell though as plenty of people out there would swap their full quota of testes for one like that.
    Exactly my feelings.

    Besides, it's OBVIOUS that it's over priced. It's been for sale, in that same advert, for the best part of a year. As Scottie rightly says, supply and demand dictates the market, and since it's not selling but other Sierra's are (presumably) trading, it's too much money.

  15. #35
    Member arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    64,291
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Besides, it's OBVIOUS that it's over priced. It's been for sale, in that same advert, for the best part of a year. As Scottie rightly says, supply and demand dictates the market, and since it's not selling but other Sierra's are (presumably) trading, it's too much money.
    Not sure on that - it's just one of those things, you have to find someone that way inclined and with the right amount of expendable cash. Problem with cars like these is that if you've got 35k to spend on a car you've got such an option of cars within that range you'd find it hard to justify spending it on a car that you'd feel guilty driving.


    Not so long ago there was a particularly well specced and good looking 180SX for sale that was worth absolutely every penny of the asking price but although there was interest it just didn't sell. It's because again, if you have 9k to spend on a car you can have your pick of a lot of other machinery. You have to REALLY want it I guess.
    Porsche 911 C2 & FN2 Civic Type R
    KTM 990 & Royal Enfield Bullet 500

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    19,732
    Rides
    0
    I would agree that's a fair assessment, but if it's been up there that long without a solid buyer you would think they'd adjust the price to suit. I would have also expected underbody shots for that price of old Ford given how fussy classic Ford owners can be.

  17. #37
    Guest
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    doncaster
    Posts
    1,448
    Rides
    0
    yeh but im 23, i dont give a shit about the past, history and all that crap. its that just history. dont get me wrong theres a few good ones around that are tuned up nicley. but i just dont get why every 1 has to cream over the past when they see one of these

  18. #38
    Guest ANDY black s13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    erith kent england
    Posts
    6,350
    Rides
    0
    i cant help remember they were a car in their day,and that winning so many races made it the car of the decade but the pinto(205/yb series)started life as a water pump for fire engines,till ford thought hmm we can put that in a car, actually lots of cars and vans that kind off dulls its appeal to me.
    iconic status aside some nut case will pass up thousands of better driving/handling cars just to have a real RS500 for a collection.
    just another 34,000 over priced dagenham dustbin with a water pump engine to me tbh

  19. #39
    Member arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    64,291
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by donnylad View Post
    yeh but im 23, i dont give a shit about the past, history and all that crap. its that just history. dont get me wrong theres a few good ones around that are tuned up nicley. but i just dont get why every 1 has to cream over the past when they see one of these
    Give it ten years and you'll be the same about a shitty old Nissan. It's called nostalgia
    Porsche 911 C2 & FN2 Civic Type R
    KTM 990 & Royal Enfield Bullet 500

  20. #40
    Guest
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Just outside Dundee
    Posts
    5,450
    Rides
    0
    I think its very much each to their own. Ford fans would buy it if they had the cash lying around just as much as we would buy a nice 200 or skyline example.
    Im sure there is plenty of ford fans wondering why we pay what we would for our cars?
    I personally like the rs500 and can understand its following. As a kid it was one of my OOOooooo........ cars when i saw one driving by.


    Cheers Aj

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •