• Image of Club - Too strict

15 15.96%
  • Image of Club - Too many boyracers

4 4.26%
  • Other (please state on post)

39 41.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Making SXOC Better - Not a member! How Come?

Rides

Making SXOC Better - Not a member! How Come?

Firstly on behalf of all the staff at the SXOC we would firstly like to thank you for being part of the Forum and showing interest in the club.

The purpose of this thread is to get the views of people who have previously been members or have never been members with a view to understanding what more we can do to make the SXOC more inviting to both new and existing forum users.

Just to give you a reminder of some member benefits

Throughout 2010 we have been able to field some great events both on a national and local level.

Some of the national highlights of 2010 have been

The weekender:
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=465715
    JAE
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=426458
    Crail drift day

and
    lemans and nurburgring trips all of which are on the agenda for 2011!!!!

on top of these great events members get access to a wide and varied range of discounts and deals through traders and product providers including insurance discounts up to 20%!!!!!!!

local events are also subsidised for members to again make your yearly subscription easy to make excellent value for money over all the different area's!!

most area's also have a monthly meet where you can meet up and have a bit of banter

We, the staff, have been looking at different ways to do improve the club but we feel that we would like to hear the views of people who have previously had the benefit of membership but no lnnger choose to renew or people who have never taken up membership

Some generic reasons have been placed in the poll above and if your reason is not covered then please feel free to add a comment as all feedback is welcome!! The poll is also multi choice incase there is more than one reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Defo too strict, it's like fight club lol

I did try to renew my membership but after pm'ing a few people that were in charge of this area and got no replys, gave up, guessed you didn't want my money's :-)

Rides
    i was a member back in 2005 when i owened a s13... then i sold that in 06 and this year im back in a 180..

i have not renewed because -

1. im lazy and cant be ar5ed too.. (if im being honest)
    2. i cant see a huge point in doing so right now as before i never really benefited from being a member, so i cant see me gaining by doing so now. (for what i use the forum for i can do as a non member)

you guys do however do a top jop job

Rides
    i was a member but decided not to renew in october, mainly because i rarely went to club events which was usually because people may convoy up on a friday etc or early saturday to get setup and having work and owning a s13 usually means i cant make it, or if i went to a show id go outside of the club so not save any money but atleast be more flexible with arrival times etc.

the other big thing for me is all the "discounts", where phoning for either insurance or parts id get told the price, then ask "shouldn't i get club discount?" and the response every time would be "yeah, that included the discount" - which basically means im not getting jackshit.

Rides
    I was a member when I used to have a 200sx

However having sold the 200sx I no longer benefit from paying £20 to just get access to the members area. And as much as I cant leave the forum due to addiction and loving most people on the site, the moralistic view of paying £20 just to pay for my bandwidth usage isnt enough to prize open my wallet.

Perhaps if there was a 2 tier membership ... so £5 for a all area access to the forum and £20 for full membership to allow you to get available discounts that would work ? ...... OR it would have the opposite effect and stop people paying the £20

So basically for me the SXOC is aon online social board, thats all I use it for, hence £20 membership doesnt benifit me in anyway ..... if itws anyhelp though I do feel slightly guilty for using lots of bandwidth and not paying anything

Edit: ... I think having a 2 tier approach could work ... but you would have to restrict more areas to non-paying guests, maybe only 4 posts a day or cant post in the for sale section ... or allow them access to the technical section but stop them posting in the sh1te areas untill they cough up a £5, social membership fee ???? ... Still keeping the members area and club discounts for full members
    Last edited by Johnny; 23-12-2010 at 09:27.

Rides
    I get people to drop me a PM to prove membership status in order to get club discounts, as that's the idea of them

I sort of see the 'point' is to help pay for hosting, the costs of which must be heading towards significant. Without these contributions all the free advice would not be here, as the club wouldn't function

Rides
    2 tier membership would stop a huge number of folk from paying the 20quid imho.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    2 tier membership would stop a huge number of folk from paying the 20quid imho.
    Yeah, this is what I thought would happen ...... so you need to make the board less accessible to guests to get them to pay £5 ... but keep the priveledges the same for full members.

So keep it as it is now .... but restrict non-200 and other social areas to guests, so if you want to access them you need to pay for 1/2 membership.

Thatway guests can still get technical info, but cant chat about moisturrizer or take the piss out of Pieman

Rides
    renewal is £17 quid not £20.

This thread is for non members. Can i ask members not to post in this thread please.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_e1 View Post
    renewal is £17 quid not £20..
    Thats still a lot to pay though for just access to the members area, if you dont own a 200sx, dont go to the socials and dont benifit from the discounts

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Thats still a lot to pay though for just access to the members area, if you dont own a 200sx, dont go to the socials and dont benifit from the discounts
    i agree with what you are saying johnny. paying 17 quid to use the forum alone isn't worth it.

to get the benefit of membership you really need to get involved . that said your point is noted

keep em coming guys

Rides
    I joined up in my first year of S13 ownership because i wanted to get insurance discounts. I got naff all from the insurance, they wouldn't even touch me so when renewal came round and i didn't have the money for it at the time i never really bothered/saw the point. £17 just to read the members section didn't seem worth it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_e1 View Post
    paying 17 quid to use the forum alone isn't worth it.

to get the benefit of membership you really need to get involved . that said your point is noted

keep em coming guys
    This is like saying i dont give money for charity because i dont get benefit of it Do you really need benefits to give a reward to a good and helpfull club
    I`m a member since i joined in 2004 and i dont get benefits from it either because i life in Belgium, but i still renew my membership every year.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by OdEssA View Post
    This is like saying i dont give money for charity because i dont get benefit of it Do you really need benefits to give a reward to a good and helpfull club
    .. its a world apart from a charity .... if I was walking down the street and some one came up up to me and shook a bucket at me asking to donate to a good cause "we are helping owners of Subaru Imprezzas by providing them with info on what turbo to upgrade to" .... I'd tell them to fcuk off

Nice thought though

Rides
    Have been a member before, liked it, think the community on here (particularly the longer serving folk) is second to none but signing up isn't very quick or convenient else I'd have done it loads of times - it really should be automated, not done by a human when they get round to it - and there isn't really very significant perceived value in return unless things have changed, in which case the marketing needs to be much better.

As a non member I still get the benefits of the community and advice without paying money which is by far the most this place has to offer. I realise my 'honour rating' is probably lowered as a result, but this is why more people don't sign up and you can always repay the club by contributing advice as you learn it (and keeping hold of people that do that is something that this place manages to do very well over nearly every other car forum I've ever known)

Rides
    Same reason as the others posting, I've not owned an SX for at least four years and don't go to the socials. That said, I do read and use the forum every day so should pay up really !
    If I had a car, I'd probably think more about signing up and joining in more.

Rides
    i have found that alot of forums nowadays are charging for membership and this allows people to use the "forsale sections" - to me its a sneaky way of making money but it does work..

i whoever think its stupid and i couldnt care less who ibought from - member or not..

so please sxoc dont go down this route

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_reepers13 View Post
    to me its a sneaky way of making money but it does work..
    And i think its sneeky advertising a car thats not a S body in your sig so have removed it

You want the members benefits then you have to pay for them
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    And i think its sneeky advertising a car thats not a S body in your sig so have removed it

You want the members benefits then you have to pay for them
    LOL

Rides
    I live in Finland so I really haven't seen it necesery to join the club. I know I could join as there are members also outside UK.