Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving with snow on the roof of your car

Rides

Driving with snow on the roof of your car

Hmmm just got a text from a friend of mine saying

"Police may be stopping people who are driving with snow on the roof and could get a fixed fine of £60 and 3 points, as it is a hazzard and breaks the highway code"

Aparently was also on Radio 3 found this on the net about it http://www.metro.co.uk/news/849809-d...ow-on-car-roof

Sorry if this is a repost, just thought it could be usefull info!

Rides
    what they need to concentrate on is all those idiots who drive with only a peep hole through their frosted up windscreen

Rides
    unsafe load or something daft it comes under. Personally I think you should get fined and points. How many cars I see driving with 4-6" of snow on the roof is just ridiculous!

Rides
    Sensible to clear it off really as it's either going to all land on your windscreen or cover the car behind you..

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    There was something about that in the paper the other week too although there was a police statment saying that they would not be actively seeking out people with excessive snow on their roofs, just that you could theoretically get fined/points. Best bet is not to take any chances though and knock it off with a brush or something

Clickme

Rides
    Rule 229 states you MUST clear your windows, so peep holes are what the police will target.

It says you should clear snow from your car, and it's a good idea as it can be dangerous. But it's not illegal. Take a lorry for example, how would you clear the top of a trailer?

Basically, drive with windows covered In snow an your vision restricted, and face the consequences.

That article has misconstrued the law and common sense into one scaremongering article.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy View Post
    That article has misconstrued the law and common sense into one scaremongering article.
    I was amazed to see it wasn't a Daily Mail link.

Rides
    lol took some time to get around to you...!

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/othe...e-farting.html

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy View Post
    Well said. How many times do we see this?!

Rides
    Ha. Rule 229 states the law and some common sense guidelines. Only the two points that say MUST are law.

So clearing windows of snow and ice, as well as lights and numberplates is the only thing you'd get pulled on.

But if you have a foot of snow on your roof or bonnet, and subsequently have a crash, and that snow is deemed at fault, then you're in trouble.

2 minutes with a soft bristled broom does the job

Rides
    Must have been round every dumb asses FB status over the past month as well.

You don't get fined or points SPECIFICALLY for that. But if you're not knocking the snow off your roof, you're a dingbat.

Rides
    Well according to that DW thread the guy said a few of his mates have all had fines and points for this so perhaps its not really scaremongering if its actually happening in some places,

I dunno thought it was interesting tho as it is pretty dangerous driving about with snow and ice on your roof was overtaking a lorry on the severn bridge the other night and a load of snow and ice came flying off his roof nearly hit my windscreen was well dodgy

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by shanekerry View Post
    Well according to that DW thread the guy said a few of his mates have all had fines and points for this so perhaps its not really scaremongering if its actually happening in some places,
    If you read later in the thread, the same penis saying his mates/dad/jonny from across the road getting points and fines and bits of official paper thrown at them by the police was also on a massive wind up and just wanted to get a reaction out of everyone.

Proper troll mong-tard behaviour.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by shanekerry View Post

I dunno thought it was interesting tho as it is pretty dangerous driving about with snow and ice on your roof was overtaking a lorry on the severn bridge the other night and a load of snow and ice came flying off his roof nearly hit my windscreen was well dodgy
    You'd probably find the guys mates had peep holes. I mean at what point would you draw the line? Setting off with 6 inches on your roof, or a light dusting. It's open to interpretation and abuse.

I'd certainly not ticket someone for that, I'd offer advice and help them remove the snow.

I'd ticket an arse who's vision is reatricted because they are too lazy to clear the snow. It'd probably delay them longer than just doing it in the first place.

Rides
    Yeh i only read the first post in that thread lol

Rides
    I'm going to have a good look into this now.

I'd imagine there probably is a law that you could ticket under, but until it's challenged in court and becomes a stated case, it'll stand.

I doubt it's 229 of the highway code though.

Rides
    Would serve them right if they got points and a fine, in my opinion its common sense you should clear it all off, otherwise its just going to slide down and cover the windscreen or the rear window or fly off like a mini blizzard reducing visibility for everyone behind you.

Same as I've seen loads of people who haven't bothered scraping their headlights and so you can barely see them in the dark, if its covered, uncover it, simples!
    bovvered?

Rides
    Here we go.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/40/section/8

This is the actual law you could get 3 points and a 60 quid fine from. It'd be up to you to argue in court that the level of snow on the roof did not pose a danger to other road users.

So, the answer is yes, the police can fine you for having snow inthe roof of your car. But it's unlikely, and nothing to do with rule 229 of the highway code.

Rides
    A woman who lives near me was overtaken by a range rover with ice on the roof a couple of days ago on a busy duel carriageway, a lump of ice through the windscreen was fun as a passenger so don't know how she stayed so calm to pull over in a safe place during rush hour traffic.
    The range rover didn't even stop.
    I could have been a nasty accident on a busy road if she had panicked, all because some idiot left snow on his car which froze, it hasn't snowed here for about a week so it didn't just appear over night.

work2drift
    I think it comes down to who you get pulled over by as some police officers really seem to want find something wrong. Not all are as nice the officers on here.

Got pulled in sainburys car park as at low speeds my spot lights follow the steering ie you turn left the left spot light comes on but right one don't and vice versa.
    Well first it started off with is it foggy then why do you have your spot lights on? after explaining it turned into you know only one works and that I would need to get it fixxed asap then told me cars of this age need more looking after which confused me as its a 2008 which i was told i was wrong as it was a x reg i didn't the heart to tell him its a private plate.
    He just doesn't like young drivers gives alot of ppl stick around here

****from samsung gal S