Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgh, caught speeding! Bit confused on what to do?

Rides

Urgh, caught speeding! Bit confused on what to do?

I just got my letter, informing me that I got clicked at 47 in a 30 on a road by me. Now I know a camera sits on this road, so I am always dead on 30 when going down past the camera so cannot think how I have been caught unless it was when I was coming up the other way - But I didnt think cameras could shoot across the road?

The letter states Manual Detection - But googles not turning up much apart from one site that says that police may do a manual test by driving between two points and timing themselfs?

I cannot find any information on the letter telling me who I can phone to ask for a picture/video of my car doing this alleged speed, so I imagine I would need to mail them up.

Will they provide me with this? Reading the letter its easy to spot they are tired of people contesting so make it really frustrating.

Rides
    In future, try doing 30 or less in 30 limits, that usually avoids any camera hassle.....

Rides
    pepipoo

Head SXOC Security and small penis department TheBigShow's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_T View Post
    In future, try doing 30 or less in 30 limits, that usually avoids any camera hassle.....
    Lol true. Manual part sounds like a copper has clocked you.Came into my village other night, abotu 1900, always do 30, i drive like a granny, and there was a copper standing there with the speed gun, i didnt think they could do it at night. meh. well under 30 anyway

but as above pepipoo or whatever.

Rides
    Are you in one of these areas where pensioners are being encouraged to get out there with radar guns?

Rides
    How about growing some balls and accepting the consequences of your actions?
    And then slowing down?

The second one is the one I tend to employ to get out of speeding tickets. Worked for me for the last 12 years.

Yes, see how much holier than thou I actually am, and revel in my smug joviality.

Rides
    You probably drove past a scamera van and didn't notice it.

Pay fine, take points, be unhappy...

Rides
    Im cool with the points and fine, points mean prizes. I know I was speeding, as its the stretch of road I have been using to test my car - Nice wide double laned road, on steep hill so you get alot of load on the engine, turn onto it straight after lights so never a car about. I am just interested in how I was caught, as there wasnt a camera van on the side of the road that I was driving. Reading google and it seems that while the van catchs one side, they can also use a hand held device to clock you on the other - Cheeky buggers.

Do I just write to them asking for a picture? Be interesting to see how I look while driving about.

Rides
    ask to see proof before accepting responsibility....just say you know the area and that there is a camera there, and cannot remember speeding (if you cant). if they can prove it, then they should before expecting money. too many people just pay the fines and take the points without proving that a: they have evidence, and b: the equipment used had been properly calibrated and used correctly......

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanS15 View Post
    ask to see proof before accepting responsibility....just say you know the area and that there is a camera there, and cannot remember speeding (if you cant). if they can prove it, then they should before expecting money. too many people just pay the fines and take the points without proving that a: they have evidence, and b: the equipment used had been properly calibrated and used correctly......
    Precisely. If It was a copper that got you he will have to write a statement and say when the gun was calibrated etc. I was done 2 years ago at a stupid speed and recieved the coppers statement in my letter

Rides
    Just submit it, and go to court to see the evidence, job done (as they will probably advise you)

Rides
    47 in a 30 is something you would know you were doing lol..
    Its not like doing 35 past one

Rides
    or if you do accept it write asking for the speed awareness course instead of the fixed penalty

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    I didn't think you can request to do it, I thought you had to be asked if you would like to do it and had to be doing less than 5mph over?

Rides
    Can't be doing with the stresses of contesting it, as imagine I would need to go court, get time off work, and if I lost pay for the court costs etc.

I must have been doing it, just never knew mobile vans watch both sides of the road. Live and learn. Want a picture tho. :-/. Shall I ask for it when I send payment, or before? Worried by asking for it first, they will take it as me wanting to contest, but if I send payment they will just ignore me as they already have my money.

We need to get on like the Yankees, and put everything online. You can check your picture, and pay/contest without all this legal buisness.

Rides
    they should have to provide proof, i'd say as soon as you see it, you'll pay if there is......if it doesn't work like that then its unreasonable.

if they require you to go to court, just to validate the claim that you were speeding by them presenting evidence, then its a complete waste of taxpayers money.....i would be seriously pissed if they told me i had to go to court just to get the proof.....

Rides
    Maybe ask what evidence they have to support the allegation?

Anyway, other than that, man up and pay it. I got done in 2005 by doing 89 in a 50 dual carriageway. Only got 3 points for that, but it taught me to respect the speed limits.

Rides
    I think under some new law doing 45 in a 30 will get you 6 points not 100% on this sure i read it some place

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip'n_slide View Post
    I didn't think you can request to do it, I thought you had to be asked if you would like to do it and had to be doing less than 5mph over?
    I wrote asking to do it when I received NIP that was 39 in a 30

Rides
    I think they get around the whole sending proof thing by asking u to sign the NIP which is basicly you admitting the offence, if u contest it they got to send u stuff to back it up and then u end up paying fr that too lol