Thread: Lotus colours....twitter win!

Rides

Lotus colours....twitter win!

Just had an email from my mate...

"Oh and by the way, not sure if I told you this. If you see Lotus F1 in Green and Gold, not Black and Gold as was intended you need to thank me.

Dunno if you've seen the fun and games over Lotus (*Deep breath* Lotus cars has bought Renault F1, they are nothing to do with Lotus F1. To make matters worse Lotus F1 announced they were going to use JPS colours this year and let a fan design, Renault Lotus (still with me?) got a jump on them and revealed a JPS coloured Renault in a very childish way).

So Tony Fernandes (billionaire owner of Lotus F1 & guy who is going to make Richard Branson dress as an Air Stewardess on his airline) tweeted asking what he should do.

I tweeted him back saying "stick with your old colours, save some cash and spend it on the car". He only flippin retweeted it to all his followers! Then later in the day they polled fans with this option and have decided officially to stick with last years scheme.

I am still waiting for my % cut!"

LOLLAGE!!

Rides
    nice one!!!

Rides
    no!!

Lotus F1 is Black and gold!!

Rides
    ok so i dont understand all this twitter talk, but heres a pic you may like:

Rides
    so which one is the company that makes cars? If thats not the one in JPS colours something is wrong....

Rides
    The Renault F1 team which would be Lotus Renault F1 or whatever lol.. They will be the team with the JPS colours,

Tony Fernades of Team Lotus is nothing to do with Lotus car makers, he has brought the rights to the Team lotus name and will be doing green as last year, but it gets more confusing when he will also be running a renault engine

Rides
    Well done Tony. The JPS thing is daft anyway, yes it's seen as iconic now, but it was just cigarette branding at the time

I should also point out that Team Lotus (Tony Fernandes & 1 Malaysia Racing Team) have the support of the Chapman family and are in posession of Colin Chapman's black cap that used to be thrown in the air when they won a race.

This whole Lotus/Renault thing is just some childish shit from a guy who used to work in marketing for Ferrari and has been put in charge of Lotus cars... by Proton, who own Lotus nowadays anyway

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    This is what pisses me off about it all, like Red Bull Racing being officially a non-british team- its so hard to understand what you're supporting these days!

So 'Team Lotus' are the genuine article then? I just wanna know which one is worthy of admiration and which one is just a ****y bit of corporate marketing bs!

Rides
    It all goes back to when Chapman split Lotus into Team Lotus and Lotus Cars to prevent one going bust bringing the other down. Team Lotus stayed with the family/friends/racers and Lotus cars got bought up by Proton. So the namings go like;

2009 - Lotus Racing 1 Malaysia
    2010 - Team Lotus Renault

2009 - Renault F1
    2010 - Lotus Renault

In terms of the "real" Lotus, Team Lotus (fernandes' mob) are more like the original Chapman Lotus. They're based in Norwich, they have the support of the family and are trying to build a team from the ground up. The other Lotus is a sponser rebadge of an old team.

The old renault team will be more successful but I'll be supporting the green ones. The whinging and moaning about Fernandes' Lotues being "fake" also make the Renault guys look like tossers as well (imho).

Rides
    And to make it even more confusing Renault no longer have anything to do with the F1 team iirc other than engines.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    It all goes back to when Chapman split Lotus into Team Lotus and Lotus Cars to prevent one going bust bringing the other down. Team Lotus stayed with the family/friends/racers and Lotus cars got bought up by Proton. So the namings go like;

2009 - Lotus Racing 1 Malaysia
    2010 - Team Lotus Renault

2009 - Renault F1
    2010 - Lotus Renault

In terms of the "real" Lotus, Team Lotus (fernandes' mob) are more like the original Chapman Lotus. They're based in Norwich, they have the support of the family and are trying to build a team from the ground up. The other Lotus is a sponser rebadge of an old team.

The old renault team will be more successful but I'll be supporting the green ones. The whinging and moaning about Fernandes' Lotues being "fake" also make the Renault guys look like tossers as well (imho).
    ^^^100% agree^^^

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    www.saveteamlotus.com

A bit more on the dispute between the two Lotus teams.