Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: sr powered (probably) 350z drift car...

Rides
    A VG30DETT isn't an easy engine to work on access wise (seeing as pretty much any job on a 300ZX in the engine bay is an engine out job), which is kind of useful in a drift car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by itrhondaboy View Post
    Don't be gay vg30dett for the win
    How much do vq engines go or might be an interesting s14 idea instead of my current ridiculous idea
    sod that, ive got one i aquired a month or so ago and i couldnt think of a worse engine to use, really dislike the engine, infact i dislike the full car

Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Youve done a Z33 conversion with a VG30DETT then have you? You know all about this engine as well?

It annoys me when people just recommend something because they like the sound of it, like the entire DW forum telling every man and his dog they have to JZ a car before it will even move under its own power. A VG swap is a frankly shit idea when there are better, easier, more often done swaps available.

Believe it or not, some people will actually read whats written here and take it as good advice. Bear it mind eh?
    and someone talks sense...

dont get me wrong i would like to jz or v8 the zed but it aint the be all and end all. people make out now that if it aint 600+bhp then it'l be shit and not powerfull enough

Quote Originally Posted by skinz180189 View Post
    A VG30DETT isn't an easy engine to work on access wise (seeing as pretty much any job on a 300ZX in the engine bay is an engine out job), which is kind of useful in a drift car.
    got one in the garage at the minute, nothing is a simple job on them
    SLIDEMOTORSPORT - Find us in the traders section or call 01977 647277

Rides
    polo are they the exact same chassis then?350 and the infinity thing your using?

Rides
    Youve done a Z33 conversion with a VG30DETT then have you? You know all about this engine as well?

It annoys me when people just recommend something because they like the sound of it, like the entire DW forum telling every man and his dog they have to JZ a car before it will even move under its own power. A VG swap is a frankly shit idea when there are better, easier, more often done swaps available.

Believe it or not, some people will actually read whats written here and take it as good advice. Bear it mind eh?
    What is your problem with me recently? You seem to be being a right Cnut with me!
    Yes I have worked on the engine and yes I know alot about it! It's a very capable engine but does suffer from oil and heat problems, it ain't the most modern of engines and is difficult to access but cheap to get hold of and it's a v6 for a v6 chassis
    Frankly doc I don't get why you had a go at me like that besides all it was a funny dont be gay thing
    IMO it's a good engine and for the price it's more favourable than an rb26dett and at the same power levels makes a boat load more torque tI've considered it for my s14 but now have a different v idea
    Last edited by itrhondaboy; 14-12-2010 at 15:11.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    polo are they the exact same chassis then?350 and the infinity thing your using?
    Yep Same steering suspension, subframes, engine, transmission, diff etc, mine is just about 8-10inchs longer.

Youl be wanting some jz conversion mounts next I can jig mine befor there final fitted if you want?

Rides
    Personally I'd go LS2/T56 using the Sikky mount kit

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-d...-lsx-swap.html

Rides
    if i were you id be making a jig of them anyway as in a year or 2 it'l start being a more common conversion i reckon. IF i jz it tho i probly would just to save me the time

have you researched the diff much?what you thinking of using?what ratio's are available?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Personally I'd go LS2/T56 using the Sikky mount kit

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-d...-lsx-swap.html

cant see that being cheap would be nice tho

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by itrhondaboy View Post
    What is your problem with me recently? You seem to be being a right Cnut with me!
    Nothing personal, perhaps you are just speaking more bollocks recently?

Frankly doc I don't get why you had a go at me like that besides all it was a funny dont be gay thing
    Yeah, everyones trying to be funny when they are found out for talking rubbish.

The point is Im sick and tired of people with limited or no knowledge talking like they are experts. People come on here for GOOD advice, not some pipedream, not something thats going to take 3 years and another 10K to achieve.
    A VG30DETT conversion is one of these things - I know one person on here did one and it took him ages. Sure, hes happy with the car but he isnt using it as a 450hp drifter. If you know the engine you know this, so why are you saying what you are??

Driftworks is even worse for it (Ive seen someone recommend getting an S14 then doing a JZ swap as a good car to learn in, rather than using the SR20 thats already fitted) but we are definitely slipping on here too.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I reckon a Z33 with a decent powered SR mounted right far back would be awesome! Hopefully you go ahead with that, I'll definitely be looking forward to reading more about it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    if i were you id be making a jig of them anyway as in a year or 2 it'l start being a more common conversion i reckon. IF i jz it tho i probly would just to save me the time

have you researched the diff much?what you thinking of using?what ratio's are available?
    The thing is with my mounts is they sit the engine back and the bulk head will need modding and a custom sump, not sure many people will want to do that, but if there is demand i can make a set that site it in the car with minimal modding.

The diffs are very long, they look R200 but iv not had one appart yet to check the ring gear, if they wer interchangable with the nissans we know im sure id be aweare of it by now.
    Mine is an auto diff and 3.4:1 so really long, i think with the jz and r154 box with the power im going for it will be fine. For you, youd really want a 4.1 in there at least maybe even a 4.6, so that will need looking into, but il let you know whats involved soon enough.
    The out put flanges on the diff look just like r32/r33 gtr too, so they m,ay even be changable, but wel see.
    The shortest ratio iv seen off the shelf for these is a 3.9 from the states

Rides

The point is Im sick and tired of people with limited or no knowledge talking like they are experts. People come on here for GOOD advice, not some pipedream, not something thats going to take 3 years and another 10K to achieve.
    A VG30DETT conversion is one of these things - I know one person on here did one and it took him ages. Sure, hes happy with the car but he isnt using it as a 450hp drifter. If you know the engine you know this, so why are you saying what you are??

Driftworks is even worse for it (Ive seen someone recommend getting an S14 then doing a JZ swap as a good car to learn in, rather than using the SR20 thats already fitted) but we are definitely slipping on here too.
    i know what you mean about so called experts no one knows more about an sr20det or a s14 chassis than me

Rides
    The only good reason for fitting a VG30DETT that I can think of is getting the pre-cat emissions test for the MOT

Rides

One last thing in my defence
    I believe the engine to be good and decent if the op doesn't fair enough but the personal attack is a tad harsh doc! How exactly am I talking bollocks? The vg engine is good maybe awkward but certainly a good motor
    Limited or no knowledge I'm a fully qualified mechanic I have a reasonably good grasp of things aside from being a bit thick sometimes I am a very good mechanic!
    I don't ever use driftworks for the reason you stated and I personally hate the current trend of jz s14 talk that never actually happens I'm currently in talks with a mate/member about his s14a and why I'll do any thing to his car he wants but I don't want to jz it
    You keep saying it's a stupid idea but there are worse and aside from it being awkward I can't see any real drawbacks with it?

Rides
    Just found this thread you might find helpfull on diffs
    http://forums.nicoclub.com/350z-fina...e-t345542.html

Rides
    Or you could do what i was going to do and fit an r35 engine I know where there are some going cheap, with turbos, manifolds loom, injectors the lot, theyl do 600hp on stock turbos z33 box goes on with out too much work, same as clutch. Also, the engine design is perfect for this chassis, with the high bonnet space.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    OK, so apart from being less readily available, more expensive to buy (particularly with known history), more expensive to find modified parts for, more difficult to find a gearbox for, having 6 of everthing if you want to upgrade internals, having known heat issues, known oil starvation issues and is 130lb heavier than an SR, what does a VG have going for it then??

A VG is a good engine, no doubt, but for this application its a whole world of pain and grief that simply isnt necessary, both in the build and potentially in the usage as well. I would therefore say what you have posted is not good advice, sure, its an alternative but not the best choice.

EDIT: Its not and wasnt a personal attack either, stop acting like a
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    Or you could do what i was going to do and fit an r35 engine I know where there are some going cheap, with turbos, manifolds loom, injectors the lot, theyl do 600hp on stock turbos z33 box goes on with out too much work, same as clutch. Also, the engine design is perfect for this chassis, with the high bonnet space.
    hmmm how nice would that be what sort of money is that lot tho?i imagine its far from cheap unless its fell off the back of a lorry

Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    Just found this thread you might find helpfull on diffs
    http://forums.nicoclub.com/350z-fina...e-t345542.html
    had a skim read and thought nice one, frontera it is then, but seems like none are a direct fit, so its either keep searching or startin making a custom setup which isnt really what i want to do. like you say tho, going to need a shorter ratio for sure

Rides
    I got offerd it at mates rates, i worked it out to get it in and running with every thing would be 12k, hence why i didnt go for it, but its an option

I think what i was offered it for thogh was 4k cheaper than what hed sell to any one else. But he has at least 10 of them all less than 1000 miles use.

Regarding the diff, i think it will be alot easier job to fit a sbody or rbody diff and shafts than try to fit a ratio into the case.

Rides
    The 350z is a heavy car, about 1560kg with the VQ engine fitted surely the little extra weight from a slightly larger displacement engine such as the RB would be worth it for the extra low down torque, Im not sure of the mass of these engines but it cant be any more than 50kg heavier surely, which is gonna make barely any difference in a heavy car like the 350.