Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: sr powered (probably) 350z drift car...

Rides
    Yea i wish id had waited around for a crash damaged one, iv had this vq for ages now sitting here and paid good money for the car too!! Iv since found a loads of damaged ones for really good money!!

£6k will get you 600-700hp on a 2jz, 400-500hp on a 1jz can be done for £4k or less! A 1jz and an sr are about the same value, but a 1jz will make the power easier and the torque is much more suited to the heavy chassis we both got. But, i dont want you to go jz thinking of it, go bandwagon v8 or sumet

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    Yea i wish id had waited around for a crash damaged one, iv had this vq for ages now sitting here and paid good money for the car too!! Iv since found a loads of damaged ones for really good money!!

£6k will get you 600-700hp on a 2jz, 400-500hp on a 1jz can be done for £4k or less! A 1jz and an sr are about the same value, but a 1jz will make the power easier and the torque is much more suited to the heavy chassis we both got. But, i dont want you to go jz thinking of it, go bandwagon v8 or sumet
    ye i dont want people thinking im copying you so thats jz out the window

im hoping to lose some mega weight from the big heavy thing, time will tell tho when i start ripping it apart.

sorted an awesome cage for it aswel that i'll pickup when i get the chance, was going to take it to nickon motorsport as their work looks amazing but ive dropped on a custom cages 8 point fia spec cage for good money so thats what its having
    SLIDEMOTORSPORT - Find us in the traders section or call 01977 647277

Rides
    Cool, but a bolt in cage will weigh more than a nickson. I take it you have seen my project?

The sva 350 i was told 1350kg was the min they could get it to with a full shell strp, id be surprised if you could get it below 1250kg with an Sr, i dont think a 400hp sr will be enough to make it worth while. Dont get me wrong, itl work, but i think youl need some thing a little more torquie.

Rides
    SR in 350Z just sounds so very wrong... So you have to do it!

Rides
    Cool, but a bolt in cage will weigh more than a nickson. I take it you have seen my project?

The sva 350 i was told 1350kg was the min they could get it to with a full shell strp, id be surprised if you could get it below 1250kg with an Sr, i dont think a 400hp sr will be enough to make it worth while. Dont get me wrong, itl work, but i think youl need some thing a little more torquie.
    ye ive drooled over your tread, unfortunatly i aint got as much money as you by the looks, the cage im getting is a full weld in, similar spec to yours except wont go to the front turrets and comes with less gussets but i may add a couple of extra bits. u any idea of the weight of your cage or not sure?

i agree its never going to be the quickest car around but it'l be enough to get me through next year... i hope.

cant see me getting the opportunity to drift anything quicker than mallory etc next year, last sx i went there in only had 260bhp ish and was fine so over 400bhp would just be a bonus not a neccesity for me at the minute.

but if i somehow find some extra cash i will be looking for decent power!

Rides
    6k on an engine ! .... but saying that my brother spent over 5k on a 13b rebuild and single conversion

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMat View Post
    6k on an engine ! .... but saying that my brother spent over 5k on a 13b rebuild and single conversion

It's not 6k for the engine, it's the hole package, engine, box, clutch, loom, turbo, injectors, management etc etc

Rides

It's not 6k for the engine, it's the hole package, engine, box, clutch, loom, turbo, injectors, management etc etc
    you want to see my bill for getting a sr to 480 including box, twin plate clutch, injectors etc it add's up fast!

Rides

Its still to get the engine working & the running of it, but the extra bits needed do soon add onto the cost.

Im not that surprised really, Im pretty sure my brother actually spent nearer 9k on his rebuild and conversion, including turbo and management etc. But that basically got him a new engine.

So i suppose its not a bad price really.

But surely your average joe's arn't going to buy a 6k engine... is it just those that can write it off as tax break, business promotion expense ?? .. need to start my own business :P
    Last edited by MagicMat; 14-12-2010 at 09:58.

Rides
    average joe's dont build 350z driftcars

but ye as your saying, i aint got 6k spare to throw at it

Rides
    Is still to get he engine working the running of it, but the extra bits needed soon add onto the cost.

Im not that surprised really, Im pretty sure my brother actually spent nearer 9k on his rebuild and conversion, including turbo and management etc. But that basically got him a new engine.

So i suppose its not a bad price really.

But surely your average joe's arn't going to buy a 6k engine... is it just those that can write it off as tax break, business promotion expense ?? .. need to start my own business :P

Lol, im not just writing the money off! I sold my s14 for 11.5k, most the money has come from that the budget on my new car is 16k and im looking good on that so far. Iv not put any of it throgh or involved the business with it atal. The rest has come from buying and selling a few cars, i got a jag for £250 and moved it on for 1300, a bmw for £250 and a mint s14a takes its place, a few gearboxs i had laying around etc etc. Im not minted, i aint got cash to dispose of, infact my bank has less than £20 in it right now im just lucky to have bits a bobs sitting around i can sell etc. I would go as far and say im less than your average joe, since starting the business 7-8months ago the most wages iv taken in one month was 1k. lol

What make the car so cheap to build is coz im doing every thing my self, if some one come to me and asked me to build them a car the same as what im building, itd be the £50k mark.

Rides
    wasnt having a go in the slightest Polo,

Maybe worth getting a decent accountant tho then surely some of the costs could be deducted, plus the expenses of competing?

as a business its best to 'lose' money on your first couple of years?

But anyway.

Matt, we need pictures and some progress !

Rides
    wasnt having a go in the slightest Polo,

Maybe worth getting a decent accountant tho
    Ah i know you wernt, just alot of people think some of these builds are open cheque book jobbies, when there not

Oh defo, iv got one sorted Iv kept all the invoices for every thing but leaving that to her to sort, as strictly speaking it is advertisment for the business

Rides
    Ah i know you wernt, just alot of people think some of these builds are open cheque book jobbies, when there not

Oh defo, iv got one sorted Iv kept all the invoices for every thing but leaving that to her to sort, as strictly speaking it is advertisment for the business
    Good

If people think that they are open cheque book jobbies then they are stupid.

I couldnt justify 16k on a drift car, my lass would castrate me. BUT i could justify it as a business advertisement, and im sure some clever tax work would help with that. BUT the money has got to some from somewhere initially.

I couldnt fund my drift car without wheeling and dealing ..others just do it on a larger scale and hats off to you, If i didnt have the mortage and some bigger stones, i'd give it a go myself

Rides
    Good

If people think that they are open cheque book jobbies then they are stupid.

I couldnt justify 16k on a drift car, my lass would castrate me. BUT i could justify it as a business advertisement, and im sure some clever tax work would help with that. BUT the money has got to some from somewhere initially.

I couldnt fund my drift car without wheeling and dealing ..others just do it on a larger scale and hats off to you, If i didnt have the mortage and some bigger stones, i'd give it a go myself
    Last comment on this thread as wer taking it off topic, Sorry OP

I spent close to 30k on the s14 Im also ok with the lass as she competes in drifting aswell and has more jap cars than me

Rides
    soooo anyway where were we

o ye silly drift cars that cost too much money but are fooking awesome

id love to stick some pics up but right now i cant remember my photobucket password and i really should be downstairs finishing perrys 14a

Rides

Rides
    Some insperation, its not a Z but its the same chassis and engine bay

Rides
    Don't be gay vg30dett for the win
    How much do vq engines go or might be an interesting s14 idea instead of my current ridiculous idea

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by itrhondaboy View Post
    Don't be gay vg30dett for the win
    Youve done a Z33 conversion with a VG30DETT then have you? You know all about this engine as well?

It annoys me when people just recommend something because they like the sound of it, like the entire DW forum telling every man and his dog they have to JZ a car before it will even move under its own power. A VG swap is a frankly shit idea when there are better, easier, more often done swaps available.

Believe it or not, some people will actually read whats written here and take it as good advice. Bear it mind eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go