Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: sr powered (probably) 350z drift car...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Driftworks is even worse for it (Ive seen someone recommend getting an S14 then doing a JZ swap as a good car to learn in, rather than using the SR20 thats already fitted) but we are definitely slipping on here too.
    why has 1jz gone from being a cool conversion to being really disliked all in the time ive been building mine.

I had my own reasons for it though, and agree with the general topic of people talking arse. The big one is the whinging about a bigger engine in the front and how if you want to be able to go round corners you HAVE to mount it 6 feet through the bulkhead otherwise you may as well not bother. its all bollocks, when i actually used cornerweight measurements and a few educated estimates to prove it was fine, everyone shut up about it lol.

Anyway, best of luck with the conversion, whatever you choose, all the best with it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    I got offerd it at mates rates, i worked it out to get it in and running with every thing would be 12k, hence why i didnt go for it, but its an option

I think what i was offered it for thogh was 4k cheaper than what hed sell to any one else. But he has at least 10 of them all less than 1000 miles use.

Regarding the diff, i think it will be alot easier job to fit a sbody or rbody diff and shafts than try to fit a ratio into the case.
    it'd be a good engine to use but i defnatly cant afford it for next year

ye thats what i thought diff wise, cheaper in the long run and easily available if/when things break

Quote Originally Posted by ianp3k View Post
    The 350z is a heavy car, about 1560kg with the VQ engine fitted surely the little extra weight from a slightly larger displacement engine such as the RB would be worth it for the extra low down torque, Im not sure of the mass of these engines but it cant be any more than 50kg heavier surely, which is gonna make barely any difference in a heavy car like the 350.
    the plan is tho to change it from being a big heavy car to being an average weight car, but dont hold me to that as ive never stripped a zed so dont no how much weight i can save at the minute.

i'm quite looking forward to getting it on the scales actually
    SLIDEMOTORSPORT - Find us in the traders section or call 01977 647277

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MaccyD View Post
    why has 1jz gone from being a cool conversion to being really disliked all in the time ive been building mine.

I had my own reasons for it though, and agree with the general topic of people talking arse. The big one is the whinging about a bigger engine in the front and how if you want to be able to go round corners you HAVE to mount it 6 feet through the bulkhead otherwise you may as well not bother. its all bollocks, when i actually used cornerweight measurements and a few educated estimates to prove it was fine, everyone shut up about it lol.

Anyway, best of luck with the conversion, whatever you choose, all the best with it.
    cheers mate ive already said i would definatly put one in but im undecided/dont have the money for engine right now anyway... chassis prep, suspension setup and paint to start with me thinks

Rides
    at the end of it its you who will drive it so unless its technical and factually based, ignore peoples opinions lol.

i went for the jz as it was reasonably priced, a rare conversion, and most importantly reliable power.

Rides
    If you just want a cheap and pretty reliable engine to throw in, then just go for the SR20, build it to 400BHP and it should be fine for the short 350Z chassis, if money wasn't a factor i would go for an LS1-2-3 you can buy a ready made conversing kit from the states for about £1200 that consists of engine mounts, sump pan and prop shaft, if only i had the spare cash

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MaccyD View Post
    Its a good conversion, for sure, certainly seems to be stronger than an RB

I just dont understand why people feel they have to get an RB/JZ/LS thrown in, in some cases before theyve even driven or bought a car. Id love a 6 cylinder 200SX, and fair play to you for doing it, but personally I couldnt justify the time and expense particularly when youve already got a perfectly good SR sat up front
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    To be honest if i wanted a JZ i would just go and buy a Supra

Interesting project, will be good to see the result and how it drives compared to a VQ one with the same power.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    To be honest if i wanted a JZ i would just go and buy a Supra

Interesting project, will be good to see the result and how it drives compared to a VQ one with the same power.

ye im hoping the results should be good, if not engines can be changed etc it aint the end of the world

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    I just dont understand why people feel they have to get an RB/JZ/LS thrown in, in some cases before theyve even driven or bought a car.
    and nobody has even mentioned the bumrape 'cooltax' inflation on anything to do with JZ's or R154's! The main reason they seemed so attractive 3yrs ago was that they were DIRT cheap, I got an engine with absolutely everything you could think of with it for £400 delivered! added a box for £150 and was away.

I wouldn't even consider one now for the money they go for

Rides
    4 pages and not even a single fooking photo !

Matt steal the photo of the bloke you got it off ! ..i need a pic lol

Rides
    Ive got some pics but cant use my photobucket atm and the pics make the car look **** haha ill try stickin them up later but if not then sunday aint too far away

Rides
    ok i wasnt going to put these pics up as it makes the damage look loads worse but here goes...
    1st shot should be how i'll get it from the rear except ive took a set a wheels up to put on as wasnt bothered about them ones

again, as i'll get it, front bumper has been removed but no damage at all behind it

under bonnet shot, engine and box will be removed and a few trims etc but i'll be ripping the rest out anyway

interior shot, only main thing i want is the dash, he's removing the airbags which damages it but i dont mind as i'llbe getting it flocked anyway. the screen has smashed hence the glass but he's supplying me with a new screen

now the bad shot we cant work out how the damage has happened but it looks like somethings been dropped on it wings knackered obviously, couple of scratches on the bonnet, he's supplying a new lights, door mirrors broke and a couple of minor dents on the door.
    theres no damage inner wing wise etc, the only major damage is the roof haha which looked shocking at 1st but most of it has punched out after giving it a bash a few times

i'll get a load more pics up when i actually have the car in my garage but for now, you wanted pics, thats what you've got

Rides
    NNNIIICCCEEEE its going to be a very intresting build for sure

Rides
    Nicely done matt

The shakes have now subsided

Rides
    maybe RB is going to be better . 350Z is a little bit heavy .

and also , car is not looking so bad ..

front right quarter
    some aftermarket front bumper
    right headlight
    right mirror
    front window

and its going to be like super-new

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    NNNIIICCCEEEE its going to be a very intresting build for sure
    ye definatly interesting

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMat View Post
    Nicely done matt

The shakes have now subsided
    its nearly sunday now, the madness can begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn_CA18 View Post
    maybe RB is going to be better . 350Z is a little bit heavy .

and also , car is not looking so bad ..

front right quarter
    some aftermarket front bumper
    right headlight
    right mirror
    front window

and its going to be like super-new
    im not even getting back into the engine debate at the minute, theres already too much talk and not enough progress

cheers tho

bumpers and wings will be fiberglass anyway, screen will need to come out to fit the cage, mirrors weigh a bloody ton so its only the roof that will take me anymore time than a unbent car

Rides
    im following you project matt. i'm sure its going to be nice..

by the way , why airbags are not popped-up ?

Rides
    no the airbags havent gone off, it hasnt had a crash at the front at all, just something dropped on it i think

Rides
    What random damage! Ah well, doesn't really matter when it's a drift car. Are you going for some big ass front bracing?

Rides
    it doesnt really matter as like you say its a drifter but i want it to start out mint so the the roof etc will be repaired properly, dont for get its also a rolling advert so dont want it to look shit

what you mean big ass front bracing?