Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: No Rinse car washing - A revelation! (warning, long post)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    Thats why it would be good, we couldnt be washing the car outside here with buckets of water, way too dangerous leaving all that ice everywhere
    I'm in the same position, I park in a communal carpark so i can't leave gallons of water that will turn to ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    What colour is the product Jem?
    It's blue in the bottle.

Rides
    Jem how do you think this would work on a car that has a lot of dust/particles on it?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Silane View Post
    Jem how do you think this would work on a car that has a lot of dust/particles on it?
    It should be fine. If you're talking REALLY dusty it would be worth filling a squirty bottle with ONR diluted in the same ratio as the normal wash bucket and prespraying the panel. It's worth doing the same if the car is really filthy too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Daz. The act of abrasion. Is physics. I'm not trolling, but that's exactly what I said.

I wasn't talking in any way about these "magical polymers" that you put on top of the grit (that is attached to the paint) and then magically get under it before you wipe it away.

IMO it's marketting gumph, and a single was shows diddly squat. But that's my opinion. I respect Jem's ability to wash a car but it's not a product that I'll use. End of for Pi.
    We all agree with the abrasion factor but you aren't even considering that it can EVER be altered. Yet we all know that there is less friction and therefore abrasion between our tyres and the road when it's wet. All they need to do is to of come up with something that bonds to the dirt on the car and seals it. Kind of like the glue on the back of a post-it note, why does it never come off of the post-it note onto other bits of paper .

If it did just drag dirt across the panel then I think Jem would of noticed it as his car isn't exactly covered in scratches.

oh and as I understand it you wash the car with the sponge or wash mitt the same as usual but this saves the rinsing so the dirt that is stuck to the paint is lifted during that process. That means that when the drying stage is being done the dirt has already lifted from the paint.

A single wash on a car without scratches or swirl marks is more than enough if the car is dirty enough to start with. There was a test I saw on some car programme where they detailed and did the swirl removal on 3 identical cars then took them to get washed at a Jet wash (where you do it yourself), an automated car wash, and washing by bucket and sponge at home I think it was and it clearly showed all the swirls marks caused by each one.

And Why would Jem be giving up marking gumpth as you put it? He isn't selling any of it.

Chill a little
    Last edited by Daz; 22-12-2010 at 13:33.

Rides
    Daz dude, I like you a lot so no offense but accept that I don't share the opinion or believe this is a viable way of washing a car and move on with your life.

Right, I'm sorry to have spoiled the thread. But I don't need to chill.

Rides
    Daz dude, I like you a lot so no offense but accept that I don't share the opinion or believe this is a viable way of washing a car and move on with your life.

Right, I'm sorry to have spoiled the thread. But I don't need to chill.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    It's blue in the bottle.
    And it smells like marzipan!

Rides
    I don't share the opinion or believe this is a viable way of washing a car
    Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but Optimum No Rinse is regarded as a perfectly acceptable method of washing are car by detailers all over the world. Yes it is unorthodox, but it works, my paint is still swirl free and I've now washed the car 8 times with ONR, each time it was proper filthy too.

Rides
    i dont like cleaning cars anymore, but thanks to this thread i might give this stuff a try in the new year as its quick and cuts out some hassle.

i think its fair to say if its good enough for a person who's into detailing, then surely its gotta be worth a try for your average lazy ass like myself

Rides
    cyc is out of stock....aaaaaargggggggggghhh...

edit:after xmas it'll be in...and i'm having me some...
    Last edited by Egon; 22-12-2010 at 17:59.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    cyc is out of stock....aaaaaargggggggggghhh...

edit:after xmas it'll be in...and i'm having me some...
    CYC are showing stock of the 8oz and 1 US gallon bottles Though I can appreciate the 8oz is not great value for money and the 1 US gallon is a fair outlay. The 8oz is great you just want to give it a go though at only £6.95

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Yeah I can understand that, that said all it does is clean the car just the same as normal shampoo so it won't make any difference.

If anyone with a 'normal' car fancies a free car wash in S****horpe either this coming Sunday or Monday give me a shout. Or from the 1st Jan to the 7th Jan, again in S****horpe And I'll take a load of before, during and after pictures and post them here.
    No takers? It's free

Rides
    It;s been washed nine times with ONR now, as you can see, still shiny and swirl free

(Shame the picture is not noise free, but light was fading

Rides
    you can wash mine Jem its proper filthy and has horrid swirly & marked paint work. maybe this is just the test people are after!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_SX View Post
    you can wash mine Jem its proper filthy and has horrid swirly & marked paint work. maybe this is just the test people are after!
    Yeah it could be, but I'm up in S****horpe till Thursday.

Rides
    Well, i finally used mine over the weekend...and i'm well happy! I didnt get pics as i was being hurried by the OH but i can confirm it works well.

I was checking it out under the glow of a street lamp and there really was no extra swirlage than there was before the wash. very happy!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    I can see the logic behind it, after all when your rinsing a car with a hose or just a wet sponge, your still pushing the surface grit along paintwork. this is just like carpet foam that draws the grit out and into the foam so it isnt attached to the paintwork anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    The consumer association with foam and cleaning was taught by manufacturers in the 1950s and now people are suspicious when there is no foam. Surfactants can be designed to limit the air/water interface and have low foam and yet clean very efficiently. What colour is the product Jem? Colloidal materials at low concentration can appear blue due to light scattering (hence why the sky is blue), but it may also be a simple dye effect.
    I sell hydrocolloids for a living and some of them go into products such as this to do exactly has been stated, mainly washing powders for clothes, but we do sell to car care manufacturers as well. While I don't fully understand the witchcraft that enables all of this to happen, I have enough faith in the Chemistry involved to know it does work.

I will be giving this a try when I get round to it - I have to hose my car down on a public area with poor drainage, so anything that can avoid it while not unduly affecting the car, has to be worth a try

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si W View Post
    Well, i finally used mine over the weekend...and i'm well happy! I didnt get pics as i was being hurried by the OH but i can confirm it works well.

I was checking it out under the glow of a street lamp and there really was no extra swirlage than there was before the wash. very happy!
    It is brilliant stuff isn't it

I've lost count of how many times I've washed mine with it now, but used it again this morning and just took this picture, as you can see, still no swirls at all. All I have done to the paint since I started using ONR other than wash it, is apply Optibum Opti-Seal sealant, so no polishing at all:

Last edited by Jem; 04-01-2011 at 13:27.

Rides
    just thought id update this thread, im not one for washing cars anymore, general lazyness etc etc and dont care too much about imperfections.

but im about to be selling my bmw so bought some ONR as a quick way to keep it clean till it sells, so if a buyer wants to come and view the car its only 30 mins for me to wash.

so here it was

after about 30 mins and just 1 bucket of water

took a bit of getting used to but very pleased with the results, when i first put the onr in the bucket i watched it cling to all the bits on the side of the bucket i didnt know was there, so strait away it had protected the sponge from picking up bits.

Rides
    Looking good

The paint does look a little flat on the rear quarter though?

It is amazing how it works. I was just about to update this thread myself as I've just spent the last 40 minutes cleaning the car with ONR and then sealing it again with Opti-Seal. Didnt take any pictures but the paint is still swirl free. Since I started this thread I have cleaned the car at least once a week with ONR with the exception of two weeks where I used a normal wash. Still loving it, brilliant stuff