Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No Rinse car washing - A revelation! (warning, long post)

Rides
    Is this thread an arse magnet or something?

Would be good to see it on a car that doesn't have pretty decent paint to begin with.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ady_mi16 View Post
    I don't see why Jem would say it was amazing if it was'nt.
    Exactly, I would not say something was good unless it really was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Silane View Post
    Would be good to see it on a car that doesn't have pretty decent paint to begin with.
    I really don't think it would make much if any difference. Just the same as normal car shampoo it doesn't make any difference what condition the paint is in. The only difference a well polished and waxed paint makes with normal washing is when you come to dry the car is a lot easier as most of the water runs off. A less cared for car the water tends to cling to the paint. With ONR I don't think things would be any different.
    ONR does add a tiny bit of gloss, in the same way as some shampoos do, but it certainly won't turn a car with swirly flat paint into a car with ultra glossy paint, just as a normal shampoo won't.

Rides
    For sure, but people would find it more convincing if they saw photographs of it on a 'normal' car, if that makes sense.

Rides
    I think the local shopping centre car park hand car wash people (phew) use this....I have had my car "washed" and it certainly was just as shiny as Jem's...and mine was definitely not as pampered as his!

Annoyingly they left the underside of the arches covered in mud

PS - dunno if its this EXACT product but they did wash without hoses or any other water distributing device!

Rides
    For sure, but people would find it more convincing if they saw photographs of it on a 'normal' car, if that makes sense.
    Yeah I can understand that, that said all it does is clean the car just the same as normal shampoo so it won't make any difference.

If anyone with a 'normal' car fancies a free car wash in S****horpe either this coming Sunday or Monday give me a shout. Or from the 1st Jan to the 7th Jan, again in S****horpe And I'll take a load of before, during and after pictures and post them here.

Rides
    Is this thread an arse magnet or something?
    My thoughts exactly.

Rides
    Will you stop posting things that are going to cost me moneys jem!!!

That looks good mate. I too live on the first floor but have the luxury of a garage and a 180' long hospipe! BUT.....really interested in this..Might spend some time on DW tonight (dull night at work ahead, gotta liven it up a bit...) and have a read up. Would be great on mine as at the moment it looks like utter shit. Dodo and carlack just about hanging on in there, but she's out in the road now and covered in cack...

Heh, i got up with isaac the other morning (he didnt want to sleep) and ended up on some poxy telesales channel on the freesat, they were selling some wonder product that made your car look like it'd just been 12hour detailed...I had to chuckle and thought of you...

Rides
    It's a damn sight more convincing seeing a person with tip top paint having faith in this product. If i saw someone with average paint going on about how good this thing was, i'd just think to myself that they clearly dont give a crap about their paint anyway, so they're less likely to worry about whether it really works. I dont know Jem, but i can tell from the look of his car that he wouldn't use this if it was damaging his paint.

As for this thread being an arse magnet...well...you got drawn in

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si W View Post
    It's a damn sight more convincing seeing a person with tip top paint having faith in this product. If i saw someone with average paint going on about how good this thing was, i'd just think to myself that they clearly dont give a crap about their paint anyway, so they're less likely to worry about whether it really works. I dont know Jem, but i can tell from the look of his car that he wouldn't use this if it was damaging his paint.
    That's a fair point. What I meant was that the photographs sort of give the impression that it will turn a car into a super shiny car. As you have read, some people are not convinced by the product so anything that further proves how good it is can't do any harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Si W View Post
    As for this thread being an arse magnet...well...you got drawn in
    Have you been looking at my arse?

Rides
    That's a fair point. What I meant was that the photographs sort of give the impression that it will turn a car into a super shiny car. As you have read, some people are not convinced by the product so anything that further proves how good it is can't do any harm.
    That's a valid point and I can see what you mean by thd impression it will make a car super shiny. It can't do any more than you would expect from a normal car shampoo. As I've said it does add a tiny bit of extra gloss as do a lot of normal shampoos and petrol station jetwashes, but it cannot make a swirly car look like it's had hours of paint correction, just the same as a normal car shampoo can't. This ONR and shampoos that add a little gloss basically have polymers which bond to the paint while you was the car, similar to a wax. But the layer it leaves is so microscopicly thin it can't fill swirly at all. A polish with fillets in it like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish will fill the majority of swirly. Even a good wax cannot fill swirly as the layer of wax left on the paint is typically 25 only billionths of a metre.

So yes ONR will add a small amount of gloss, but no more than the 'wax finish' are you local petrol stations jetwash.

Rides
    People wash their cars?! :/

Rides
    I can see the logic behind it, after all when your rinsing a car with a hose or just a wet sponge, your still pushing the surface grit along paintwork. this is just like carpet foam that draws the grit out and into the foam so it isnt attached to the paintwork anymore.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    I can see the logic behind it, after all when your rinsing a car with a hose or just a wet sponge, your still pushing the surface grit along paintwork. this is just like carpet foam that draws the grit out and into the foam so it isnt attached to the paintwork anymore.
    It is odd in that unlike normal car shampoo there is no foam or suds at all. The mixed solution of 8 litres of water and a fluid ounce of ONR looks like slightly blue cloudy water. And the dirt seems to stay in the solution, the water left on the cleaned panel looks like clean water. Where it get even stranger is towards the end of cleaning the car, when the water in the bucket is black, the water that runs out of the sponge if you squeeze it is clean water, and likewise the water left on a cleaned panel.

It works by the polymers bonding to the paint, like a barrier against the dirt rubbing against it and bonding to the dirt partials so they are less able to mar the paint and then the dirt is kept in the bucket for subsequent washing.

Rides

Have you been looking at my arse?
    Not today, no....

Well, mine turned up in the post but i wont be washing the car until after xmas now. Ill pop back in here and tell what i think of it when ive used it.

Rides
    I could do with some of this to go over the Jag that Jem brought back to life recently

Rides

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    I could do with some of this to go over the Jag that Jem brought back to life recently
    One of the nice things about the ONR is you can wash the car in the garage (or unit) if you wish as you get so little water on the floor.

Nice car your JAG, paint came up very nicely given the time constraints. I am too much of a perfectionist though

Rides
    Thats why it would be good, we couldnt be washing the car outside here with buckets of water, way too dangerous leaving all that ice everywhere

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    It is odd in that unlike normal car shampoo there is no foam or suds at all. The mixed solution of 8 litres of water and a fluid ounce of ONR looks like slightly blue cloudy water.
    The consumer association with foam and cleaning was taught by manufacturers in the 1950s and now people are suspicious when there is no foam. Surfactants can be designed to limit the air/water interface and have low foam and yet clean very efficiently. What colour is the product Jem? Colloidal materials at low concentration can appear blue due to light scattering (hence why the sky is blue), but it may also be a simple dye effect.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    frisbee, if you're going to be pedantic, the chemistry is the composition of the product. The abrasion is physics.
    To be pedantic again. You've said that the chemistry is the composition of a product (material). So despite you making that statement you have completely ignoring that a polymer can cover a product (material) to basically change it's physical abrassive quality.

If Jem has tried and tested this and is happy with it then I trust him on that. I've seen first hand at how much detail he goes into with paintwork. So for him to try this on his very clean mint and shiney swirl free MR2 and to be satisfied that is isn't scratching or damaging the paintwork is enough for me.

I can't see how doing it on a car without nice paintwork as it won't show anymore swirl marks even if it did damage the paint.

Rides
    Daz. The act of abrasion. Is physics. I'm not trolling, but that's exactly what I said.

I wasn't talking in any way about these "magical polymers" that you put on top of the grit (that is attached to the paint) and then magically get under it before you wipe it away.

IMO it's marketting gumph, and a single was shows diddly squat. But that's my opinion. I respect Jem's ability to wash a car but it's not a product that I'll use. End of for Pi.
    Last edited by piman2k; 22-12-2010 at 11:56.