Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No Rinse car washing - A revelation! (warning, long post)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    so these polymers are trained. when you put a cloth in water they jump on it. when you put it near dirt they grab it and keep it away from the bodywork, and when you put it back in water they jump back off.

so they are more highly evolved and trainable than the average chav?
    Yeah they are far more advanced than you're average chav

Quote Originally Posted by sxbaz View Post
    id like to see this used on a shite old car which hasnt been detailed, as im sure jem's paintwork is probably better protected than most before the salt etc goes on.. may give it a try myself
    It shouldn't really make any difference if the car has not been polished or waxed in years well protected. The ONR will still remove the dirt and protect the paint from said dirt regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    its got to be worth it alone for the mornings you come out to the car and find bird sh1t across it ..... rather than break out the hose, 2 buckets etc etc .... you can just spot clean panels

I would use it on a lightly dusty car in the summer .... but I dont think I could bring myself to trust in polymers stopping the amount of grit on the car in the winter from scratching the paint
    It really does take a leap of faith that it's going to work as it goes totally against the grain. After wet sanding the near side panels on the MR-2 a couple of months ago they are about as flat and swirl free as you'll get, so it's a really good test to see if the ONR does induce any swirls. I've washed the car four times with it now and it was FILTHY before each wash and there no no swirls what so ever. So clearly the ONR is safely removing the dirt without marring the paint. Bare in mind that the commonly used two bucket method is not a guarantee to maintaining swirl free paint. No matter how careful you are you will get swirls, and while I know it's only four washes, the ONR has removed the dirt while maintaining a swirl free finish.

Rides
    can you use it for a luxury w@nk too? if so it's a win win situation!

Rides
    Jem, I think you might not be giving this a fair test...

Looks like you've already used some cleverer than chav polymers!

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=481370

I'm presuming this has made it even easier to wash the car with this second lot of polymers?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nitroboss View Post
    Jem, I think you might not be giving this a fair test...

Looks like you've already used some cleverer than chav polymers!

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=481370

I'm presuming this has made it even easier to wash the car with this second lot of polymers?
    I used that after I first used the ONR. Yes the Opti-Seal does help dirt not stick to the paint, but the first time I used the ONR it had not been waxed for two months and was in need of some protection and the ONR had no problems at all. This stuff is highly regarded on Detailing World, both on waxed to hell shiny things and uncared for swirly things

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I used that after I first used the ONR. Yes the Opti-Seal does help dirt not stick to the paint, but the first time I used the ONR it had not been waxed for two months and was in need of some protection and the ONR had no problems at all. This stuff is highly regarded on Detailing World, both on waxed to hell shiny things and uncared for swirly things
    Ah I see

I'm drawing the line at the new sealant for me. I've got far too many car washing products, I feel like I could open my own detailing business

I already get calls to come round to wash my parent's cars. I should have just done a bad job the first time round.

Rides
    It's -2ºC outside and I turned this:

Into this:

In just over 50 minutes, with a 20 minute break in the middle for a cup of tea and bacon sandwich, using just a bucket, 8 litres of lukewarm water, a sponge, and two drying towels and a dose of ONR

And yes that is snow!

Rides
    Marketting Spew > Phyiscs

Not for me thanks.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Marketting Spew > Phyiscs

Not for me thanks.
    You best take out that tried and tested multi-grade engine oil and refill with a mono-grade then

Rides
    Nope, I buy off the shelf multigrade for no other reason than conveniently easy to source from any car shop

Rides
    Nope, I buy off the shelf multigrade for no other reason than conveniently easy to source from any car shop
    You be careful, it's got marketing spew and physics all over it

Rides
    But I don't pick out a multigrade oil based on the marketting spew. You've missed the point entirely lol.

Which is what this is lol. How the world can rock on about pre-wash, pre-rinse and 2 bucket for years saying it's the only way, and then this is suddenly A-OK to drag along a dry, dirty panel and won't damage it evades me.

That, Jem, is physics.

Rides
    But I don't pick out a multigrade oil based on the marketting spew. You've missed the point entirely lol.

Which is what this is lol. How the world can rock on about pre-wash, pre-rinse and 2 bucket for years saying it's the only way, and then this is suddenly A-OK to drag along a dry, dirty panel and won't damage it evades me.

That, Jem, is physics.
    Jem's tried it, it works. And it uses chemistry instead of physics.

Rides

That, Jem, is physics.
    You're the one that's missed the point

There is no question this ONR does work. The polymers protect the paint while you 'drag along a dry, dirty panel'. I know it does go totally against the grain of normal car washing and what you would expect to mar the paint, but it does work. I'm probably the most anal mofo on here regarding paint finish, and I did have my reservations about ONR, but having now used it a good few times I am hugely impressed!

Rides
    frisbee, if you're going to be pedantic, the chemistry is the composition of the product. The abrasion is physics.

Jem, I have missed no point. It's just another topic of you saying that something you've now used is amazing, even though it's against the gospel you previously preached. Which isn't your fault, it's classic detailer syndrome.

Glad you've got results you like, but as said, not for me thanks

Rides
    It's just another topic of you saying that something you've now used is amazing, even though it's against the gospel you previously preached. Which isn't your fault, it's classic detailer syndrome.
    Don't get me wrong, I've got a lovely bottle of Dodo Juice Supernatural shampoo, about 5000 miles of hose, a snow foam lance, 48 buckets all with grit guards, an RO unit for pure water and I will continue to use a normal rinsing wash about once a month, with the ONR once or twice a week in between.

You're more than welcome to live in your cave, but ONR really does work, just as the chemistry in your oil makes it last 100k+ miles, and for people like myself who can't so easily get a hose to the car (hence the 5000 miles of hose!), ONR is a godsend.

Rides
    i wouldn't worry about the paintwork being swirly the underside of your car will have rotted away
    from not having all that salt washed off it

whats wrong with driving to a jetwash ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dori Mat View Post
    i wouldn't worry about the paintwork being swirly the underside of your car will have rotted away
    from not having all that salt washed off it

whats wrong with driving to a jetwash ?
    You will really struggle to effectively clean the underside of the car without getting it up in the air, and that's what underseal is for

I've never found a petrol station jetwash to effectively clean a car, certainly not clean enough to feel comfortable drying the car, unless you use the swirl-tastic brush. I'd rather leave the car dirty

Rides
    have you undersealed everything under your car then ? suspension ? exhaust ?

so your happy to wipe thick dirt and salt off your car with your wonder product but wouldn't want to dry your car after using a jetwash cause you think it'll scratch your paint

Rides
    have you undersealed everything under your car then ? suspension ? exhaust ?
    Of course not. Do you have your car up on a ramp to wash the underside once a week? Of course you don't. I do twice a year though

so your happy to wipe thick dirt and salt off your car with your wonder product but wouldn't want to dry your car after using a jetwash cause you know it'll mar your paint
    Absolutely correct

Corrected your post for accuracy

Of course, feel free to come back to shoot me down then you can post a picture of the paint on your car with a shine like this

Last edited by Jem; 19-12-2010 at 12:27.

Rides
    im a really fussy git when it comes to the paint on my car, in fact I wax it once a week , when the cars in use during the summer. I have zero swirls on my paint and im planning on giving this ago, it looks amazing!

I don't see why Jem would say it was amazing if it was'nt.