Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uk to go on to Berlin time?

Rides

Uk to go on to Berlin time?

Saw this in the Mail (I know it's right wing) - Berlin Time Catastrophe.html

And it would it seem it's connected to this - www.lighterlater.org

As I know we have a few member from farther north I was wondering how they'd feel about such a change? I seem to remember that the UK tried it once and it was rejected. It also so seems like Portugal tried it and gave up as it didn't work and Spain and thinking of giving it up.

Rides
    My 21st Century British man mentality has awoken and I feel an overwhelming urge to be offended by this proposed time change. I feel I should be ranting about it and treating it like ne next worst thing ever since someone suggested maybe we slow down on the roads, or maybe people should have have a right to further education.

But then the brain kicks in ...... and to be honest, I just dont give a fcuk, during the winter its dark when I go to work in the morning, its dark when I go home, this time change wont make a difference to me

In the summer its light in the morning and light in the evening ... still wont make a difference

and withing a week of them changing it my body clock will have adjusted

so despite an overwhelming urge to whinge about it ....... I dont give a fcuk

Rides
    Jonny, you missed the important point. the UK won't be on GMT any more.

We fukin INVENTED TIME and the euro wa-nkers are taking it away from us..

let them move back an hour to proper time. bastids.

Rides
    and another thing. all our watches are buggered!

my watch gets its time from the atomic clock. it is accurate to 1 billionth of a second every ten billion years.

but it will be an hour out

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Jonny, you missed the important point. the UK won't be on GMT any more..
    what like during the summer ?

So your beef is effectively the name ..... Berlin time ? ...... your massive amount of anger is that we will be on the same time zone at Germany ?? ... Thats the "important" point is it ?
    Last edited by Johnny; 29-11-2010 at 09:39.

Rides
    my watch gets its time from the atomic clock.

but it will be an hour out
    ...... no one will ever think of altering the Atomic clock so instead of flicking between GMT and GMT+1 (BST)

it will flick between GMT+1 and GMT+2 (BST)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    what like during the summer ?

So your beef is effectively the name ..... Berlin time ? ...... your massive amount of anger is that we will be on the same time zone at Germany ??
    half the year Greenwich is on GMT. now it will never be. how is that right.

what's betting GMT has to be called Central Uerope Nautical Time in future

Funny this wasn't mentioned at all during the Remembrance service

"and here at the Senitaff we remember the fallen with a minutes silence at 11AM, for the last time. next year the GERMANS say we have to remember them at about 12ish.

just fukcing leave us alone. they own Ireland now, put them on Jamaica national time if they want.

Rides
    half the year Greenwich is on GMT. now it will never be. how is that right..

How is it really wrong ? ... Its just time, a concept used to measure the duration of events.

Not doing something because it is a dumb arsed idea is the right thing to do ... not doing something because the name will change ... is not a reason

You dont seem bothered that William Willett invented BST which is GMT +1 ..... so I guess you are ok with British summer time ?

so if he had made BWT (British wintertime) to be GMT +1 and BST to be GMT+2

would that have been ok ? .... Would we all be British again With a timezone of BWT and BST ?

Rides
    Simple innit.

Change the definition of BST and BWT to GMT+2 and GMT+1

Anyway on a personal basis I would like to see GMT+1 all year round, but I won't lose any sleep over it, at the end of the day it will still get dark earlier than I want it to in the winter.

What I find more interesting is that the time system, i.e. in base 60 is derived from the babylonion maths system

Rides
    Funny this wasn't mentioned at all during the Remembrance service

maybe because the important bit of Rememberance Day is remembering those that have fallen ? and not what Timezone we are operating in ?

Which oddly enough 5 years through the 2nd World War from 1940 to 1945, was GMT+2 through out the whole year

It was known as British Double Summertime BDST ... so we wouldnt even need to make up and evil German name for it !

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    Just read that article and although it doesn't really bother me, in such that if its going to happen theres bugger all I can do or say about it, but I do think why cant people just leave things alone..i.e "if it aint broke don't effin fix it"

Clickme

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    Just read that article and although it doesn't really bother me, in such that if its going to happen theres bugger all I can do or say about it, but I do think why cant people just leave things alone..i.e "if it aint broke don't effin fix it"
    That's my main question - why do we need to be on the same time as Germany? The USA manages across several different time zones (as does Canada and Russia), we've manged well enough for over a hundred years with them being out of time with us. So what is the point? The experiment we had, and Portugal, shows that there isn't any real point, so why? The fact it'll not get dark to gone 22.00 won't affect me but I can see how some people would struggle to sleep if it's light but being dark till 9 am (about 10.30 in scotland) in the south - seems daft.

The laterlight arguments don't make sense either. It'll being safer on the roads seems dubious as it'll just be darker in the mornings (when people are just waking up and less alert), the streets will be darker in the mornings (more people around) so street crime probably won't be reduced (just happening at a different time) and we know that some criminals aren't really put off by there being people out. Using less electicity? Well we'll use less at night but we'll use more in the mornings (when demand is higher anyway).

Rides
    Having read the Portugal article it does seem like a very bad idea.

Rides
    I really couldn't give a stuff if it changes or not.

What I do get cheesed off with is the fact that lots and lots of grown ups are being paid vast sums of money, along with there assistants, sitting round having debates and writing papers taking meetings on meetings, about the meeting they missed and getting ever so serious.....

....about changing the hour hand 30deg on everyones clock

Surely they have some real work to do

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GAV200 View Post
    ....about changing the hour hand 30deg on everyones clock

Surely they have some real work to do
    i dont want to point out a giant flaw in your ponderings, but you seem to have neglected that on most clocks the minute hand will have to rotate through 360 degrees, a factor of 12 times more anger inducing than your theory!!

Rides
    Ive had my s14 for 3 years now and have never changed the time on the dash.

Couldnt care less

Rides
    half the year Greenwich is on GMT. now it will never be. how is that right.

what's betting GMT has to be called Central Uerope Nautical Time in future
    It will still be GMT - German Mean Time

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MaccyD View Post
    i dont want to point out a giant flaw in your ponderings, but you seem to have neglected that on most clocks the minute hand will have to rotate through 360 degrees, a factor of 12 times more anger inducing than your theory!!
    Thought they were only changing it by one hour? My clock you just move the hour hand

Meh you knows what I mean

Rides
    and next thing you know, we will be driving on the wrong side of the road, to align with the Brussilians.

and eating frogs and snails

and having 3 hour lunch breaks

and burning sheep

and have inferior electrical plugs

and and and have sex with tables. of all the things that should disturb us about the continentals, their desire to give everything sex has to be the wierdest. it's afooking table you silly frenchy. not male, not female. IT is a table. you can't shag it, it's doesn't reproduce, it's a lump of wood. and even as a tree, it wasn't shaggable

anyway, i heard they want to metricate time anyway. 10 hour days. 100 mins in an hour.

Rides
    and having 3 hour lunch breaks
    Sounds good.... i'm in.