Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish Bailout

Rides

Irish Bailout

The BBC (not the Daily Mail) reports we are going to lend Ireland 7 BILLION pounds.

that's BILLION

I assume this is 'lend' as in 'never see again'

I thought we were bankrupt ourselves, having to tighten the belts, reduce spending etc.

so where the fook did we find 7 BILLION quid to piss away?

It's like trying to clear your credit card bill by investing in a Nigerian gold mine you got an email about.

these clowns couldn't run a bath, let alone an economy

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post

It's like trying to clear your credit card bill by investing in a Nigerian gold mine you got an email about.
    Its more like paying the Mortgage you cant afford with your credit card.

If you dont pay your mortgage you will loose your house and become bankrupt ..... however if you pay it with your credit card ... then you might save yourself enough time to recover your debts before loosing your home .. ie win the lottery, discover a missing loaded bank account, having a rich relative die.

edit: Johnny doesnt condone the use of credit cards to pay of debt and does not advise it as a form of financial balancing
    Last edited by Johnny; 22-11-2010 at 14:43.

Rides
    Dont bother....EU does more

It should be done...as it is only virtual money, that only they can make and brake.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Its more like paying the Mortgage you cant afford with your credit card.
    While at the same time being employed by the your mortgage lender who also has shares in the credit card industry. On top of all that they've just turned round and told you that you may have to be layed off due to the industry being a bit shakey because people are not keeping up with their repayments.

Rides
    tell me about it.. from ireland, live in ireland, work in ireland, hate the irish government..

think we are getting a general election in January which would help us out alot.

Rides
    Yeah thanks for the loan, although it's really just a loan to our banks to pay back your banks so they don't lose out on their risky investments.

We still have to pay it back to you, our government rocks

Rides
    Ireland is going to be interesting, will the other countries in the group go as well, (portugal, Spain, Greece, and Italy), at least they are getting in first for the IMF/EU bailout, as well as some help from us. i'd hate to be the last that needs financial help, as when the money has all gone who will they turn too?

Quote Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
    think we are getting a general election in January which would help us out alot.
    the damage is already done, a new government cant help that much, look at ours, there was hope etc back in march, but there seems to be not alot done, they seem to have tackled the wrong things, and punishing the wrong people.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    when the money has all gone who will they turn too?
    Britain

We have already given the Irish £7 Billion we dont have .... I am sure we can give another country money we dont have as well

Rides
    Its a loan, and (hopefully) will be paid back - with interest i assume.

Also if we didnt then how much shit would we be in, this country has massive interest in the stability of Ireland, some of our banks are heavily into Irish debts and without propping up we would see major problems over here.

Think about it, its like your neighbours house is on fire. Do you sit there and laugh while it burns down then transfers to yours... Or do you try and do something about it before it costs a lot more in damage.

I suggest folk stop reading the crap printed by the rags, its reheated garbage designed to push the buttons of there readerships angry mechanism.

Rides
    We're bailing the Irish banks out as they hold around E140 Billion in UK bank debt, if the Irish banks go down we then have to re-capitilise our banks which will cost a lot more. So it's cheaper to keep them afloat than not.

Rides
    Britain

We have already given the Irish £7 Billion we dont have .... I am sure we can give another country money we dont have as well
    Probably, but we should not need ot be on the hook for this, its one of the reasons people didnt want the first round of Bailouts for our banks, as when they get into trouble in other countries that they are in, it will be us the tax payer of UK Plc who will ultimatly pay.

dont get me wrong, if we dont then the shit will really hit the fan, as it will bring down part of the Eurozone as well as the UK. i just feel that we got our selves in a situation that will hurt us for years to come. More QE, lower IR's for longer, less lending to business, more cuts, etc this is NOT growth, and i can see the UK back in recession soon again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    Also if we didnt then how much shit would we be in, this country has massive interest in the stability of Ireland, some of our banks are heavily into Irish debts and without propping up we would see major problems over here.
    well look at what happened to Iceland when that one went down. but it would be worse, like 911 X 1000

Rides
    Britain

Hop over to your government for me and ask them if they can give me some?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post

Think about it, its like your neighbours house is on fire. Do you sit there and laugh while it burns down then transfers to yours... Or do you try and do something about it before it costs a lot more in damage.

that depends, are we terrace, or detached?

we used to be a terrace, but the neighbours blew up the house between, and declared themselves independent.

and we have been told we don't have any water either. Labour drank it all.

so you want to use water we don't have putting out a fire that won't reach us, while we all die of thirst.

good plan.

How about, we spend this 7bn on a few large contracts for the navy to buy ships built in the uk? or build some hospitals. or pay some nurses and firemen

either we have money, and the cuts announced recently are all lies, or we don't. in which case how the fook do we lend it to anyone?

now, if they planned on buying all uk tax payers a years worth of Guiness, that would make sense

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    We're bailing the Irish banks out as they hold around E140 Billion in UK bank debt, if the Irish banks go down we then have to re-capitilise our banks which will cost a lot more. So it's cheaper to keep them afloat than not.
    if they hold the debt, and go bust, we write off the debt. job done.

however that BANK word keeps cropping up. time for some bonuses no doubt.

Rides
    cant some one just push the reset button?

Rides
    if they hold the debt, and go bust, we write off the debt. job done.
    its not that simple, Ireland owes alot of money to other countries and banks around the world. some where your savings/investment/pension could be wrapped up with an investment in Ireland or one that relys on Irelands ecconomy/Banks.

if the country/banks goes bust, you can kiss your savings/investment/pension good bye.

also if they go bust, it could bring the eurozone down with it, increasing the chances of the rest of the PIIGS going bust, increasing the bonds rates, making it harder for them to borrow, thus making exports more expensive, bringing those countries down.

then you have investor confidence world wide, when Ireland was shakey last week, investor confidence was at a low, and the DOW dropped (as well as the FTSE) by nearly 2% in one day. if it got to a full blown default, i would expect the markets to crash in a big way, brinnig companies world wide with it, more redundancies etc.

Rides
    thank god i planned for that eventuality, by blowing my pension contributions running an old datsun

Rides

How about, we spend this 7bn on a few large contracts for the navy to buy ships built in the uk? or build some hospitals. or pay some nurses and firemen
    What good will 7billion worth of navy contracts do for the country other than keep a few ship workers in there jobs..?
    7Billion more for the NHS? How about they start using the shit load of money they get better instead of pissing it about.
    And as for firemen, ts only the London ones that were threatening strike was it not? and that was because they were being asked to come into line with the rest of the country... (cant remember)

thank god i planned for that eventuality, by blowing my pension contributions running an old datsun
    However that i can relate to.

Rides
    We're the nearest large country to Ireland, with a lot of trading links (far more than we do with India/China etc).

As far as affordability goes, apparently we're borrowing money at 2% and lending it to the Irish at 5%, so it's not the same as just 'spending', more a good longer-term investment.

I think we should try to assist our neighbours when we can, out of principle. However even if you don't agree with that argument, it's still in our own self interest to do so.

Rides
    I still don't know who the fcuk we borrowed all this money off that we now owe. He must live in a massive pad...
    Member 504