Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rover V8 into S13

Rides

Rover V8 into S13

Has anyone done it on here? V8 is impossible to search for and RV8 doesn't throw much up. I know they're not powerful, are 50 year old design and all the yadda yadda. I'm not asking for opinions on the engines, just if anyone has actually fitted and used one. Links are fine, I'm just having a mooch
    Member 504

Rides
    I know at least one person started the conversion, but I can't remember for the life of me who it was or whether they finished

Rides
    If it was Slider200 it wasn't finished
    Member 504

Rides
    Mitch there used to be someone by the name of '2 black lines' (could be two) her had an S13 with a V8

Rides
    There was an unfnished one on Ebay recentley, was posted on here

Rides
    Cheers chaps, I'll keep looking. If anyone else knows of any, please post a link
    Member 504

Rides
    Here's a 1UZ-FE conversion

http://www.gunnamotorsport.com/400sx/

There are a few Nissan VH41/45de conversions down here in Oz as well.
    Last edited by D_Stirls; 22-11-2010 at 11:00.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSX View Post
    Mitch there used to be someone by the name of '2 black lines' (could be two) her had an S13 with a V8
    that was a sbc lt1 supercharged v8

noy a rover

Rides
    Has someone asked you to do this Mitch or just curious?

Supercharged one could work well, although apparently some of the blocks really don't take well to it and pretty much self destruct in not much time

Rides
    Well I have a V8 and box sat on the floor in my unit and an S13 shell sat across the yard. I think all I need is mounts, exhaust, a prop, some way of reducing the fuel pressure for the carbs, cooling, electrical feeds for the coil, starter and alternator.

I know it won't be all that powerful, I know it's old technology but if nothing else it'll tidy the place up and I think it would be a laugh to rag a cheap shonker round Mallory. A lot of people slate the conversion but I can't find one single person that has done it.
    Member 504

Rides
    some of the blocks still have the ability to take the mechanical fuel pump depends how old the engine is

Rides
    Was thinking of a regulator in the fuel line of some sort, but good thinking. If it's just too powerful I'm sure I have a lift pump somewhere.

I think the engine's out of an SD1

Oh, and I'll need something a lot lower profile carb wise, as I don't want a chimney stack out of the bonnet.
    Member 504

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Was thinking of a regulator in the fuel line of some sort, but good thinking. If it's just too powerful I'm sure I have a lift pump somewhere.

I think the engine's out of an SD1

Oh, and I'll need something a lot lower profile carb wise, as I don't want a chimney stack out of the bonnet.

You could put a Vitesse plenum on it and run injection TVR 350i's ran that set up and it doesn't take that much room under the bonnet.

Rides
    ive got some holly fuel pressure regs you can have if you sort a fuel pressure gauge.

Rides
    Realistically would it not be better to just sell the engine and box and scoot the shell around the corner out of view - that'd have the same effect of clearing your workspace as building the car.

You say it'd be just for fun, but it sounds like a fair old effort and you'll need to spend quite abit on parts to get it to run.

After all that it will still struggle to break 200BHP, is it worth it?

Perhaps there's a reason no-body has completed the conversion????

Rides
    Jonny-will it need ECU and more hassle to run Vitesse injection?

Mister Green-I think I have a setting gauge...

Rekless-I've heard all the negatives, cheers. I don't think it'll cost that much in parts that I don't have, and while it may not get done, I'm just after finding someone that's done it before. It's not all about the numbers. I've got less than 200bhp in this year's drifter and it has been the most fun I've had in ages. It'd be even better with a V8 soundtrack
    Member 504

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Jonny-will it need ECU and more hassle to run Vitesse injection?

Mister Green-I think I have a setting gauge...

Rekless-I've heard all the negatives, cheers. I don't think it'll cost that much in parts that I don't have, and while it may not get done, I'm just after finding someone that's done it before. It's not all about the numbers. I've got less than 200bhp in this year's drifter and it has been the most fun I've had in ages. It'd be even better with a V8 soundtrack
    You would need some sort of ECU but I figured you were going to need to get some sort of custom map for it anyway.

If you used the plenum, injectors and fuel rail from a Vitesse/TVR, you'd still need something to tell it when to open the injectors. That's going to add up to something like £300-400 I'd say.

However, the biggest issue I would have thought would be sorting the cooling out. Even on a road car they are very prone to overheating due to the plumbing arrangement (They actually manage to run cooler with the heater matrix switched off ). A drift car must run quite a bit hotter than a road car I imagine as they have high revs for low forward motion - That's just a logical deduction on my part not based on any experience of drifting.

Rides
    To be honest I didn't think I'd need any map with a carb engine and just electronic ignition. As for cooling I was just going to use a big rad.
    Member 504

Rides
    Fair enough. Carbs will be simpler if its a standard SD1 engine.

The cooling issue is more about coolant flow than exposed frontal area. With a bit of ingenuity I'm sure you could rework the coolant flow to not have any bypasses apart from the obvious one needed for cold starting.