Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Nurburgring Brake Discussion

Rides
    Cheers Sam, im not sure what the Mintex 1144's are comparable against EBC pads but im sure they are similar performing to DS2500's

Rides
    Ok so after a quite frankly boring read of this thread I would like to know what peoples experience with the yellowstuff pads are on here

In particular Chavbo, Scottie, Liquidsmoke... Would you recommend these pads??

Jamie has already recommended me Mintex and Ferodo's which im contemplating.

Im going to be running Stock S13 calipers (do a running jump if you want to start an insult argument ) uprated fluid, uprated front discs, standard rears.

Im wanting a set of front pads that will do the job purely for the ring, afterwards (not before as I have zero time) im going to be upgrading the whole setup.

Rides
    Tomorrow the RX8 is getting yellow stuff all round, braided hoses and new fluid ready for the trip.

Retaining the standard discs as they are 324mm and good.

I've not used ebc's on the front of the 200 yet, but from reading up they have come on leaps and bounds in recent years.

I'll be trying them in the next few months on the 200.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewaysfun View Post
    Ok so after a quite frankly boring read of this thread I would like to know what peoples experience with the yellowstuff pads are on here

In particular Chavbo, Scottie, Liquidsmoke... Would you recommend these pads??

Jamie has already recommended me Mintex and Ferodo's which im contemplating.

Im going to be running Stock S13 calipers (do a running jump if you want to start an insult argument ) uprated fluid, uprated front discs, standard rears.

Im wanting a set of front pads that will do the job purely for the ring, afterwards (not before as I have zero time) im going to be upgrading the whole setup.
    It's worth checking the price of performance friction pads too as they will be vastly superior to the others at the Ring whatever you get, just try to minimise time on the brakes and you will be fine
    Currently scrabble powered - Leon Cupra 280

Rides
    Question to you experienced track day driver peoples...

Brake fluids... dot 5.1 seems to be the stuff to go for, but is there a big difference say between cheap dot 5.1 and expensive big brand stuff like Ferodo???

Im gonna attempt to upgrade to a set of S14 brakes at the front so will do fluids change at the same time.

Dont wanna have to buy the expensive stuff twice though, as after nurburg im doing 5 stud conversion and doing z32 rear, bmc, etc, so will be doing fluid change again in a month or so

Am I gonna have to bite the bullet and buy expensive stuff twice

Rides
    Yes.

Get stuff with a decent boiling point like Motul RBF600 or ATE superblue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jamie- View Post
    Yes.

Get stuff with a decent boiling point like Motul RBF600 or ATE superblue
    Cheers cnut

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jamie- View Post
    Cheers Sam, im not sure what the Mintex 1144's are comparable against EBC pads but im sure they are similar performing to DS2500's
    From what I remember (I used to sell these) Mintex 1144s are similar to DS2000s, the 1155s are similar to DS2500. That was about 5 years ago, as far as I know they're still the same. In a relatvely low powered lightweight car the 1144/DS2000 should be fine.

And I couldn't help commenting on the argument after spending the last half an hour reading through it

In response to the original question, I'd say I'm in a similar position. I've never been to thr 'ring (but will eventually) but I've done a few trackdays, some in my S14, some in previous cars. I'm perfectly happy to admit that I'm nowhere near as confident or able to drive a RWD car as quickly as a FWD car, so for me I'd be upgrading the brakes and tyres to make sure you're gonna have as much fun as possible and be as safe as possible. If you're an able/confident driver in a RWD car, or if you've got an 18" cock, or if you're god, then just upgrade the pads.

It goes without saying that I'll listen to someone like Bren who is an experienced track driver, who tests brakes on a weekly basis, over someone who has never driven a lap of the 'ring and is offering advice which contradicts what the majority of others are saying. I'm 100% confident that Bren simply doesn't want a death or serious injury on his conscience rather than trying to flog a few brake kits. I know I don't.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewaysfun View Post
    Question to you experienced track day driver peoples...

Brake fluids... dot 5.1 seems to be the stuff to go for, but is there a big difference say between cheap dot 5.1 and expensive big brand stuff like Ferodo???

Im gonna attempt to upgrade to a set of S14 brakes at the front so will do fluids change at the same time.

Dont wanna have to buy the expensive stuff twice though, as after nurburg im doing 5 stud conversion and doing z32 rear, bmc, etc, so will be doing fluid change again in a month or so

Am I gonna have to bite the bullet and buy expensive stuff twice
    There was some good decent priced 5.1 on camskill.co.uk I've just ordered this for the RX8.

It was about £6.95 per 500ml, had a boiling point of 272C and was the best stuff I could find before prices tripled for the really expensive stuff.

Personally I am using this and think it is fine, I have standard 324mm discs and have fitted yellow stuff pads and braided hoses.

I guess you only need the expensive stuff if you are going to boil the already uprated stuff, unless you are going very fast on the Ring I doubt you need it.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    I use el'cheapo 5.1 in all my cars when I change it, never been a problem.

Dunc.

Rides
    Ordered some dot 5.1 from camskill and also a set of Project Mu pads from the good people at Apex