Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nurburgring Brake Discussion

Rides

Nurburgring Brake Discussion

anyone running stocko brakes, forget it (unless you have a deathwish). I got serious scary fade after only 6 laps at castle combe. If that happens at the ring you can say goodbye!

Running 34gtr all round now so no fade from any speed.

Rides
    iv still got stock bracks, if i upgrade the pads will that not be good enough? they are on my todo list but i dont think ill have the money to get them done till afer the ring.
    cheers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantera Chris View Post
    anyone running stocko brakes, forget it (unless you have a deathwish). I got serious scary fade after only 6 laps at castle combe. If that happens at the ring you can say goodbye!

Running 34gtr all round now so no fade from any speed.
    what a load of utter rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by marky89 View Post
    iv still got stock bracks, if i upgrade the pads will that not be good enough? they are on my todo list but i dont think ill have the money to get them done till afer the ring.
    cheers
    you will be fine uprated pads is enough to go round the ring, just dont push as hard on the brakes as the guys with better/bigger setups. deacon did it last year on stocko brakes, granted he absolutely killed them but they were ok to drive home on and i know he was driving beyond the brakes capabilities

comments like 'dont go if you have stock x' is just scaremongering, you can do anything with anything, its a case of driving to the abilities of what you have be that stoc brakes, poor tyres or whatever
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    I would not run stock brakes, it will seriously reduce your abiltiy and fun.

I've been in a 200sx running 8 pots which was great, and also an RX8 on standard brakes.

The RX was not much different in weight to a 200sx, and slower in a straight line, plus had to slow down less as it can corner quicker, and yet even with the standard 324 mm discs and new fluid, good standard pads etc it still had fade about 60% of the way around.

Brakes issues will be the first thing that stops your fun on that track, they will not last one lap of the Ring in dry weather

I'd make sure you have good uprated pads as a minimum, pref fluid and hoses, plus decent amount on your discs.

Fake BT is correct in that you can drive round issues, but you'd be so compromised by standard brakes that is the one area I'd address.

I'll probably take a standard car to this, well as standard as it left the Prodrive factory, but I will put better pads, fluid and hoses on it for this trip

If you have seen some of the gradients and corners, you do not want your middle pedal sinking to the floor as you try and stop
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    As said above, its perfectly possible to go with stock brakes. Ive done it in our Jag (with DS2500s all round) and our Legacy (stock brakes and pads) and although both cars got round without incident they both had to be driven with plenty in reserve or the brakes would have cooked very quickly.

Not as much fun if you cant nail the car properly but you dont have to upgrade. Youll just have less fun if you dont.

Rides
    Deacon ran stock brakes, ask him if he had less fun fmg did his 9:02 on stock s14 brakes with ds2500 pads
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Personally if I was taking my car round, even cruising round it the whole way at 50 I'd have PLENTY of fun.

Some guys won't be pushing their car to the ragged edge. I'd say, half decent pads and fluid will be suitable, as long as your remember what you are running and don't decided to push them further than they can cope.

Rides
    If you enjoy driving your car hard on track then youll find brake fade frustrating and so will have less fun than if you run uprated brakes.

You really cant argue with that.

Well, this being the SXOC then yes, no doubt we will get some rediculous argument boil out of that but you cant have a non retarded argument about what I said above.

When we are there just get a ride with a couple of cars with stock brakes and then a couple of cars with uprated brakes and see for yourself which is more fun.

Now just a man!
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    If you enjoy driving your car hard on track then youll find brake fade frustrating and so will have less fun than if you run uprated brakes.
    Yup, its one of the key areas that really improve the experience. For me braking and stability are the key things I wanted to address on the M3 and I sorted on the RS13. It can be said that the Ring isn't the best reason to upgrade the brakes, most tracks test them more thoroughly but there's also no doubt that an upgrade will improve the experience
    Now just a man!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    Deacon ran stock brakes, ask him if he had less fun fmg did his 9:02 on stock s14 brakes with ds2500 pads
    Since when did DS2500's count as a stock pad

Now just a man!
    Rides
    They disintegrate under hard use == stock pad, simples
    Now just a man!

Rides
    thanks for all the info guys, if i get a spare 1K illl upgrade them.
    i sitll cant wait to go, going to be my fist track day + first time out with the SXOC boys and girls.
    so i will be taking my time the first lap or so since its all new to me.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Since when did DS2500's count as a stock pad
    didnt say they were

my point is that you DONT at all need to shell out on a fancy brake kit to enjoy your car on track/at the nurburgring

far too much you MUST buy everything the traders have to offer to enjoy your car on here lately

and driving your car within the limits of your kit isnt less fun. its just not as quick as if you had better kit.

slower doesnt mean less fun unless you only do it to make yourself look big.

Rides
    my cars brakes failed big style

Just made me drive faster, Jamie will testify

Unipart pads

Rides
    didnt say they were

my point is that you DONT at all need to shell out on a fancy brake kit to enjoy your car on track/at the nurburgring

far too much you MUST buy everything the traders have to offer to enjoy your car on here lately

and driving your car within the limits of your kit isnt less fun. its just not as quick as if you had better kit.

I can see what you are saying and agree with some of your points.

But, standard brakes fade so quick at the Ring, to drive round such a huge issue would affect the fun loads, you have to enitrely back off for a large part of the track, there are huge gradients.

So slower does mean less fun when you don't get a large part of each lap you are paying for.

I'd agree you don't need lots of go faster parts, and you can get away with standard suspension etc, but you need uprated pads, fluid, and good discs hoses as a minimum jsut for maximum enjoyment, nothing to do with going fast or looking big It's so your middle pedal doesn't hit the floor when you really need it.

Rides
    didnt say they were

Yes, but crap brakes can really spoil a track day too, and if you drive hard, they can dampen a hard drive on the road too I know in my case, and for lots of other people I've done trackdays with, standard and mildly uprated brakes have spoilt a good day.
    Currently scrabble powered - Leon Cupra 280

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    my cars brakes failed big style

Just made me drive faster, Jamie will testify

Unipart pads
    Although that could be seen as fun by me included, choosing which parts of the comparably hard scenery you would like to pick bits of your skull out of after brake fail at 150 mph is certainly a 50p > 10p moment
    Currently scrabble powered - Leon Cupra 280

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SteA View Post
    Although that could be seen as fun by me included, choosing which parts of the comparably hard scenery you would like to pick bits of your skull out of after brake fail at 150 mph is certainly a 50p > 10p moment

Your telling me, properly naive to the ferocity of the braking needed.

They did quite well intill lap 8 when i think a pad stuck to the disk and i had to stamp the pedal to get them back,

Jamie was in the passenger seat and shit himself. as did i !

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Your telling me, properly naive to the ferocity of the braking needed.
    I think anybody who has been to the Ring is suprised at just how much braking is required over just one lap, even taking it at a comfortable pace.

It's way more than the equivalent time on a normal track - there's a good reason so many manufacturers use it for testing, it will ruthlessy show up weaknesses in your car

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    I think anybody who has been to the Ring is suprised at just how much braking is required over just one lap, even taking it at a comfortable pace.

It's way more than the equivalent time on a normal track - there's a good reason so many manufacturers use it for testing, it will ruthlessy show up weaknesses in your car
    Showed the benifits too

My cars quite soft, it kinda helped