Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schools rely far too much on technology, I fear for our kids.

Rides

Schools rely far too much on technology, I fear for our kids.

I work in a school and the amount of technology here is insane. All the phone systems, doors, printers, interactive whiteboards, etc etc etc.

I cannot understand how you can be a teacher, and not be able to teach without all this crap. If a bulb goes in a projector and we tell them its going to be about a hour, they will flip out explaining it is impossible for them to teach without it.

What ever happened to books? Or lecturing?

If the emails stop working for less than 5 seconds the whole school explodes, I dunno how these people managed to teach before the days of emails...

Bah, this sucks today.

Rides
    It's not all their fault, they are set out what they have to teach and how from central govt.

Rides
    Er its the 21st century .... what do you want them to do ?? Use an abacus

That said i agree, modern teaching staff ether cant work without tech or cant work it at all
    Hilarious ... if you have to support the feckers every day

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post
    It's not all their fault, they are set out what they have to teach and how from central govt.
    This

I do worry, though, that technology has probably undermined one key area - spelling/grammar. I heard a lady from the NUT on the radio yesterday saying "Spelling isn't really that important as the students have spellcheckers to correct any mistakes".

One thing though, MrPARR, why does it take an hour to take a projector bulb from one part of the school to the other?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    Hilarious ... if you have to support the feckers every day
    Especially when you hate your job

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post

One thing though, MrPARR, why does it take an hour to take a projector bulb from one part of the school to the other?
    Lol yeah...
    My campus has several building that are 300m away from each other in some respects - outside.
    Now even then we can get a replacement projector or something from the ICT office to the shit hole with brokenness in a few mins.
    An hour may well be inside SLA but its not cool when teaching is on

Unless its coffee time (twice hourly - ten mins each) in which case they can whistle.

Rides
    you should.. all this tech interaction will produce more socially dysfunctional people than ever starting for an increasing young age!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    That must have an adverse effect o nthe childrens' education.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Why are you assuming they cant teach without the electronic devices? If I turned up a meeting with a Powerpoint presentation and my computer exploded, Id be pretty knackered too .......

If youve planned a lesson to have a projector available then if its not its a bit of a scupper. I think youll probably find that teachers can teach without the technology, but they use it as its there.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Lol yeah...
    My campus has several building that are 300m away from each other in some respects - outside.
    Please don't tell me you have to go "outside"! The untold horrors that are out there...

Jut

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Why are you assuming they cant teach without the electronic devices? If I turned up a meeting with a Powerpoint presentation and my computer exploded, Id be pretty knackered too .......

If youve planned a lesson to have a projector available then if its not its a bit of a scupper. I think youll probably find that teachers can teach without the technology, but they use it as its there.
    They can, but don't forget a lot of them now use AV reference material which would be pretty hard to recreate without the tech.... Not saying it is impossible though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    Please don't tell me you have to go "outside"! The untold horrors that are out there...

Jut
    Daylight . Fresh air . General public . No coffee machine within 10 feet . Oh the horror

Rides
    I'd say 75% of my uni lectures started late because of computer/projector issues.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post

Jut
    I know... its a shocker aint it, we have it built into our contracts though that state we are given "benefits" in kind for the trouble.

Just took a squint at my helpdesk system, my team (3 + me at the mo ) have closed just shy of 100 proper incidents in the last 4 days... This is proper issues, not bollocks like fill a printer with paper or open a lab...
    No wonder i am fecked, think i will try and get a job in a school - sounds like a nice holiday

Rides
    Just took a squint at my helpdesk system, my team (3 + me at the mo ) have closed just shy of 100 proper incidents in the last 4 days... This is proper issues, not bollocks like fill a printer with paper or open a lab...
    No wonder i am fecked, think i will try and get a job in a school - sounds like a nice holiday
    So that's 6 each per day. That doesn't earn you the right to be knackered, you big girl

Rides
    Oi.... at least 6 of those jobs were for lab software installs.
    16 installs of SQL08 + management console is one job as far as i am concerned plus testing and coffee.

6 per day indeed... pffttt

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPARR View Post
    If a bulb goes in a projector and we tell them its going to be about a hour, they will flip out explaining it is impossible for them to teach without it.
    Yep I get this also. I hate it with a passion, I never had a lesson when I was at school 9 years ago that used a computer and whiteboard, I turned out ok!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Carta View Post
    Yep I get this also. I hate it with a passion, I never had a lesson when I was at school 9 years ago that used a computer and whiteboard, I turned out ok!
    What's a whiteboard?

Do you have to use a computer now, or can you get by without? How much does it affect the lesson if the computer is out of action?

Isn't Tasha a teacher Doc?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Yes mate, and as long as she can speak she can teach. The interactive whiteboards and stuff are awesome, but they are an addition rather than a replacement for traditional teaching - they still do a lot of reading, comprehension, art etc.

Its actually not far off what we used to do at school TBH.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Thats how I use them, if they work awesome, I can get the kids more interested. If not, oh well its still the same just without the flash and the razmataz!