Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions thread

Rides

Suggestions thread

I know everybody likes to rant, and vent, so here's your thread for it.

What ideally I'd like to see here is people perhaps suggesting ideas for wheel related products they'd like to see.

Maybe if you're a budding designer or wheel snob, you'd like to post up a sketch of a wheel you think would be cool that is new and exciting?

I am not talking adding a dish to an existing wheel here, or making an existing wheel larger or smaller in diameter. This is the place to let the imagination run wild, and to get the creative juices flowing.

As the biggest Rota distributor in the world, we can make new designs happen. We can do this based on what people are asking for on places like this, and you can give real input if you're interested.

If you just want to come and rant about copies, fair enough, suggest something better and you might be suprised and maybe even feel the need to rant subside

Rides
    It's good to know we're doing everything right, and nobody can see any different ways forward they'd like to see

Rides
    I might throw some ideas at you

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Weds are making some amazing wheels atm. SA67R, Kranze Bazreia, SA70 are all awesome, perhaps you guys could "interpret" those designs a little

Titanium lips look nice if they are done right but seem pretty rare, as do Titamiun wheel nuts. A decent new "mesh" type design would be a big seller as well I reckon

If you really want to do something different, people (including me) are crying out for a company that can put new hoops on 3 piece wheels

Oh, and I think you definitely need a widearch 350Z showcar as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Agree with Doc, if you could do some wide low offset mesh style wheels in 15-17" I think they would sell well Also get you bbs le mans copies in decent offsets with good lips and in 18s

Rides
    We'd very much like to get away from eminating existing designs. We'll look around for inspiration, as any manufacturer will, but new ideas are the answer.

Mesh designs we can do I'll get some ideas together.

We can get hoops I am sure, but they'll by default be for existing wheels. This will likely mean getting them direct, which will mean they cost, which many people are not fans of things costing

Rides
    why dont you run a little competition throughout various website ( which you use etc#)

get people to submit ideas, then get people to vote on their favorite... winner wins his set of wheels when they are eventually made?

EDIT: my submit ideas, i mean literally draw they designs up

Rides
    ..can we open the to competition to me only.. and ill draw my perfect set of wheels?

deal

Rides
    What about some branching out into split rims?
    Obviously incorporating existing designs.. gives the scopes for the low offset and wide rims people are always craving - if on a mass produced scale this would obviously bring the price down and demand is always there for sexy wheels

Rides
    The thing with split rims would be that they'd need to be kept in component form, and possibly would be a pain to make up...

Rota did make split rims before though, I'll investigate some options

SX BIG - Draw some wheels, feel free, if we like them, they will happen, it's pretty much that simple (obviously engineering goes on in the background, and testing etc, but we have to start with a design)

Rides
    What about designing a 2 piece wheel with a barrel and centre that can be mounted both ways round?

This would give the option for both high and low offset and the option to mount the centre in front or behind giving even more variation in possible offsets...

Rides
    would look a bit odd I suspect, as the back of a wheel where it mounts to the hub stands proud, obviously, so you'd end up with a big bit sticking out the front... would make for seriously long stud requirements

Could make them like all the JDM wheels, where they just come with a bolt on spacer to make them the offset you want, after all, it's cool and OK if they do it, so if we have an orignal wheel and do this it should be acceptable?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    would look a bit odd I suspect, as the back of a wheel where it mounts to the hub stands proud, obviously, so you'd end up with a big bit sticking out the front... would make for seriously long stud requirements

Could make them like all the JDM wheels, where they just come with a bolt on spacer to make them the offset you want, after all, it's cool and OK if they do it, so if we have an orignal wheel and do this it should be acceptable?
    I don't think you get what I mean

Centre mounted in front:

Centre mounted behind:

Now also imagine the barrel could be mounted either way round to either give large dish / low offset or less dish / higher offset...
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 08-10-2010 at 11:40.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    I don't think you get what I mean
    I get what you mean

Rides
    Oh and then make some cool centrelock adaptors/wheels like the Impul ones

Rides
    I see now Flip the barrel not the centre, or mount the centre either side of the barrel.

Rides
    Centrelocks.... now they would be cool.

A variety of PCD to CL adapters, then the wheels would not need to have anything other than a centre bore drilled.

Be good for track / drift people too, fast wheel changing!

Rides
    One bonus you could have with doing what Ben Taylor has suggested is that you can have a various selection of outer rims and then loads of variants for the center rim with different PCD or style.

Would give you the option for alot of wheel designs in one then.

Rides
    I have been doing some more thinking about this, and mixing centre-lock and 2-piece wheels will allow for some serious variety...

I need to sit down in a darkened room and do some sums, as it's possible to order some pretty stupid offset combinations by accident with these