Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tubular Manifold review/comparison

Rides
    It stops valve bounce because it releases gas in the right firing order out the exhaust but if u imagine number 2 fires on an equal length manifold it will take longer to release because of the length of tube so when the next cylinder fires the gases bounce together as it comes out the flange causing excess back pressure, causing valve bounce where as tomei and h-dev have kept it like the standard manifold to release the gas correctly.

Or something like that

Rides
    And...any manifold can crack.

Saw Tomei`s, HKS and Apexi ones crack.

Just down to poor exhausts placing mainly...too much stress on them is bad for any manifold.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by redsx94! View Post
    The h-dev one is pretty much a cheap tomei by the looks of it. Why be a brand whore the tomei, hks ones etc crack also so don't see the point in paying the money.
    Truth. Every manifold can crack, the fact it's a Tomei or what not doesn't mean it won't. Hang your turbo wrong, don't brace and you're up the creek.
    '99 S14A Garage Find (off the road since 2007) - WIP

Rides
    i have a h-dev one now. had hks and it cracked e-bay one cracked too. mines heat wraped all so just to help keep under body temps down

picture ho moment

Rides
    I have a h-dev one that's never been heat wrapped. Been running 1.5bar for 11,000miles and it's still going strong. My gaskets gave way though lol

Rides
    Also a thing to reconsider is making 4 flanges instead of 1 long one. So slice it open

Rides
    Tomei ones can crack but the difference is that tomei will replace it if it does.

Rides
    Hmm...only thing i heard from Tomei, was that the fault was due to my exhaust being wrongly aligned....

Rides
    All I can add is that I have an apex one and the quality is awful,welding is poor,lining up of runners is poor and the flange had to be machined to be flat as it was banana shaped hasnt cracked though in 12 months to be fair.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kingj View Post
    All I can add is that I have an apex one and the quality is awful,welding is poor,lining up of runners is poor and the flange had to be machined to be flat as it was banana shaped hasnt cracked though in 12 months to be fair.
    Really? I've had two from Apex (type 1 and type 2 ) and they both went straight on (although the type 2 was a little tighter going on over the last two head studs ). Wonder if you got an odd one? lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanS15 View Post
    i've not been sure of why everyone wraps thier manifolds? i've heard the talk of spool being minutely quicker in some cases etc (not sure about it), but i was more worried about lots of heat being retained in the head so didn't wrap it, and its never caused any problems at all with heat transfer or anything like that...i havent got any additional protection for the surrounding components either, just now and then after a blat the bonnet is quite hot above the turbo - thats it....
    It reduces under-bonnet temps, and in theory increases spool-up speed by retaining more heat.

It also allows more heat-soak back into the cylinder head as well, though, and it its a weak-ass manifold it will crack easier because of the extra heat retained, and the warm-up/cool-down cycles changing throughout the metal structure.

Personal preference then... personally i'd rather run without heat-wrap.

Rides
    Or feel free to buy my 2nd hand Apex one for £40, never cracked, is well made etc

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    Or feel free to buy my 2nd hand Apex one for £40, never cracked, is well made etc
    What type is it?

Rides
    Will give my thoughts on a Tomei, fitting one during this week. Picked up for beer tokens (literally ) as had a crack, welded and better than new

Rides
    Get a flexi pipe aswell and it'll take the strain off the manifold reducing the chances of it cracking

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpatmatt View Post
    Tomei ones can crack but the difference is that tomei will replace it if it does.
    As do we if its in a reasonable time frame I doubt youll get that from Ebay.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by redsx94! View Post
    The h-dev one is pretty much a cheap tomei by the looks of it. Why be a brand whore the tomei, hks ones etc crack also so don't see the point in paying the money.
    You don't have to modify your downpipe with the Tomei.....

Its a bit sneaky IMO that only once you've paid your money and had your manifold delivered does it mention it lowers the turbo (hence the entire exhaust) hasn't cracked yet though!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_T View Post
    You don't have to modify your downpipe with the Tomei.....

Its a bit sneaky IMO that only once you've paid your money and had your manifold delivered does it mention it lowers the turbo (hence the entire exhaust) hasn't cracked yet though!
    We've fixed that issue with our manifolds now - turbo is kept in the original position

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    As do we if its in a reasonable time frame I doubt youll get that from Ebay.
    Depends what you think is a reasonable time frame.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    We've fixed that issue with our manifolds now - turbo is kept in the original position
    Sweet, get a horsham one then, no negatives anymore!