Thread: The Panzerwagen

Rides

The Panzerwagen

Right, thought I'd start to document the progress with the Passat. As some of you may know, I recently had to say goodbye to my lovely Sil80 due to work (it wasn't suitable for transporting clients around in ) So, the search began for a sensible(ish) saloon car. I started looking at Audi's but it soon dawned on me that, for the money, I could get a younger, better specced VW. So, I decided to focus on the Passat, and ended up buying this 2002 1.8 20v turbo. So far, I'm pretty chuffed with it

This is the car when I first got it:

Nothing spectacular there! I was pretty happy with the performance, especially considering it's such a large car, and decided that I needed to improve it's looks. I started with a set of RS6 wheels, which have been done to death, but I think they suit the Passat quite well.

You might have noticed the 4x4 stance. Most people did, so my next purchase was these:

I began fitting these, which for me was quite exciting, as I'd never fitted a set of coilovers before lol. The Passat is a bitch to fit coilies to, due to the interesting array of arms and pinch bolts that VW use. I eventually got them all fitted and was quite happy with the results:

Looking better! What you can't really see properly in this pic is that the coilovers needed some adjustment to get the ride height level. So, I then started measuring up and adjusting them until I got them all to an acceptable "level". Which has resulted in this:

To say im impressed with these is an understatement! They're extremely comfy (just like a stock car with lowering springs really) and they've transformed the standard barge-like handling. The fronts have an adjustable length shock body too, which gets around the problem of the spring falling out of the top mount when the car is raised for an MOT. 10 out of 10

Eventually, I'll probably adjust them again using scales, but as I'm not planning on taking it anywhere near a track they'll do for now

Next on the list is some small spacers to bring the rims out just a little bit more and better brakes (they're not awful, but not really up to my driving style ) And then I might start to think about tuning it. I've already got a FMIC sat in the garage, but need to sort some piping out for it.

So, that's it for now! Comments/questions welcome
    Last edited by Bahnstormer; 21-09-2010 at 20:01.

Rides
    awesome cars...I really miss my one. Shouldnt of got rid of it really, 3years and all it had was petrol.

Im on the lookout for a 2.0GT TDI estate.

Rides
    looks nice. i agree about working on VWs, fitting an ARB to the below golf was a pain, had to drop the entire front subframe as it sits above it. good job VW.

my only advice is if you ever do the timing belt, make sure you replace the engine mount bolts, they're stretch bolts. (particularly the piddly m10s that go through the aluminium block thing on the driver's side to the block itself.)

just had to sort a mate's car out because they snapped after being re-used by a muppet garage.

turns out it's a common problem.
    Last edited by alanjuggler; 21-09-2010 at 20:51.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    looks nice. i agree about working on VWs, fitting an ARB to the below golf was a pain, had to drop the entire front subframe as it sits above it. good job VW.

my only advice is if you ever do the timing belt, make sure you replace the engine mount bolts, they're stretch bolts. (particularly the piddly m10s that go from the aluminium block thing to the block itself.)

just had to sort a mate's car out because they snapped after being re-used by a muppet garage.

turns out it's a common problem.
    I don't think I'll be doing anything quite that complicated lol. Our local VW dealer has a pretty good labour rate, so I'll see about taking it there when the time comes. Saying that, it's got about 30k miles until the belt is next due, so plenty of time to practice

They're suspensions setup really are quite special aren't they? For example, you can't remove the bottom shock bolt on your own Because VW in their infinite wisdom decided that it should be put in from behind, which means if you try to undo it, it butts up against the bottom arm. Which means you need someone to lean on a hefty lever, whilst you try to pull it out without losing your fingers lol

Rides
    iv got a 2.8 v6 b5.5 on standard rims decked on coilies, I love it. Its an awesome car but the aux belt tensioner needs doing sharpish lol

Rides
    A vote for those rims in gunmetal

Looks nice!.....Any thoughts to a remap? The 20v can make 210-220bhp I think

Rides
    Ooh gunmetal rims.....now you've got me thinking! A remap is on the cards, but probably not until the new year