Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emerald Green HKS topmount s14a

Rides

Holset hx32 powered SR build, almost finished!

Ive been on here quite a while but only just signed up to be a member so thought id start a project thread now seeing as my project is actually going somewhere interesting.

*edit 29/03/2015
    Current spec

Engine:
    Sr20det rebuilt,
    Acl race bearings,
    Arp head studs,
    Tomei mls head gasket,
    Tomei Rocker Arm Stoppers
    HKS 2540 (t3 footprint) Turbo, Topmount
    38mm Demon Motorsport External wastegate
    3" Custom Flexy Downpipe
    Custom Hi-mounted downpipe back exhaust
    Walbro 255lph Fuel pump
    Bkr7eix NGK Platinum plugs
    Apexi Induction Kit
    Nismo engine mounts
    Gizzmo MS-ibc
    HKS Type 1 Turbo Timer
    Greddy Front Mount Intercooler
    z32 fuel filter
    z33 afm
    Apexi cone filter
    Nismo 740cc injectors
    air con removed

Transmission:
    Auto Diff
    Apex shortshifter
    XTD lightweight flywheel and competition clutch stage 2
    Japspeed Poly Gearbox mount.

Chassis:
    Apex fast road coilovers
    Apex bushed alignment arm set
    HDev custom fast road laser alignment
    R34 GTT 310mm front brake conversion
    Hel braided brake hoses
    Subframe locking collars
    17x10 17x8.5 bbs reps with 225/45/17 and 205/45/17 hankook v12 evos
    Engine loom run over strut turret
    Battery relocated to boot
    Apex rear strut brace
    Hid kit

Interior:
    Corbeau pro race carbon kevlar drivers seat with takata harness, Bride superlow seat rail
    Bride carbon kevlar passengers seat with sabelt harness and bride superlow seat rail
    McGill motorsport deep dish suede wheel
    JDM gearknob,
    AEM wideband lambda
    Blitz boost gauge in A pillar
    hks turbo timer

I bought this car in march 2012, it had the intercooler and exhaust fitted, along with a set of white, weak offset, 18x8.5j rota torques, but standard height suspension, but other than that was untouched. the first thing i did was put the standard wheels back on and sort out some decent tires for them. The rotas werent to my taste.

Excuse the instagram pictures there the only thing i have to hand,

I changed the oil on it, using a blueprint oil filter quantum platinum 5w40 fully synthetic, those also in the trade will know thats maindealer audi/vw oil and is just repackaged castrol oil, plugs to 2 grades colder platinum ngk's, fuel filter to a z32 one, and bought an apexi induction kit. I gave it a proper check over on a ramp at work.
    -I had to take out the fog lights as they had been left in but touched the intercooler pipes and made the bumper sit a bit wonky.
    -Both front calipers had siezed pistons in them, one had two, the other had three, which explained the weak braking on the car,
    -Rear pads were low, which i had noticed before i bought the car
    -There was a hole in the inside of the sill at the rear where the subframe boomerang bracket bolts on, which i had managed to miss,
    -Neither numberplate lights worked as the connecter was corroded so i bypassed that and just hardwired them in.

I bought a set of R34 GTT Front calipers, with used 310mm skyline discs, which were not worn at all just a bit rusty so i had an engineer skim them for me. Bought some decent pads, drilled out the mounting holes in a pillar drill to 14mm and fitted the new calipers, along with Hel Braided brake lines. while i was doing the front brakes i thought id put a set of rear pads in too.
    I also cut out all the rust and welded in a 2mm plate with a stud going downwards from the top and attached the boomerang back on using a nut.

I then fitted some shiny apex intercooler and induction pipes for the type 2 intercooler that was on there.
    I had been told that a walbro fuel pump had been fitted when i bought the car even though it was running standard boost, but i thought it better to check than to risk blowing up my engine for the sake of 10 minutes work, so whipped the fuel pump out and found it was the original nissan one. so i ordered up a 255 walbro and fitted that.

Now that i was getting enough fuel to the engine with the walbro fitted i got the gizzmo plumbed in, turned the boost up to about 12psi, had previously been running 8 on the actuator pressure.
    Next i ordered up a set of coilovers from apex to sort out the tractor height, lowered it to a decent height and realised that the alignment was now way out, so i added a full alignment arm set to my future shopping list.
    I saw a set of cheap wheels and thought they would fit well, so i bought these bbs reps, in 17x10 et25, and 17x8.5 et25 (but et0 after spacing them out to clear the skyline calipers.) Ive fitted hankooks to my cars before and very highly regard them, they are a real up an coming tire company and i expect they will get very big over the next few years, so i ordered up some 225/45/17's and 205/45/17 v12 evos. The wheels fitted lovely.
    The new wheels and tyres with the coilovers made the tires close to the wiring loom in the arch so i ran it over the top of the suspension turret.

Last edited by inliner_04; 29-11-2015 at 09:57.

Rides
    Next ordered up the alignment arms i needed (bushed apex ones not keen on rose joints,) so i didnt destroy my new tires, fitted those.

Aligned it by eye till i could get a proper alignment done. Then my water feed to the turbo cracked, and my turbo gasket started blowing, at about the same time, so i ordered up new studs, gaskets and braided oil and water lines. Then since upping the boost slightly the clutch started slipping, so i fitted an exedy stage 1 organic, and at the same time, an apex short shifter. Thought id treat the shortshifter to a new gearknob
    Last edited by inliner_04; 09-11-2014 at 16:15.

Rides
    Went to santa pod in an english winter and got a bit stuck, had to get towed out by a vitara, but treated myself to some HIDs whilst i was there.

My dad does detailing as a hobby/side job, so he polished it for me.

Got myself a new gearknob and a different steering wheel and HKB Boss

Then decided i wanted a more supportive seat, managed to find a carbon kevlar corbeau race seat locally, so bought a bride side mount rail which was apparently 'super low'. It wasnt, so i made up my own brackets with a piece of 5mm steel plate, tapped two holes, fitted two studs to the tapped holes then welded them in, the seat now sits about 6mm from the carpet. Also fitted a sabelt 4 point harness i had laying around off my old turbo mx5 track car.

Last edited by inliner_04; 30-10-2013 at 20:42.

Rides
    I took a trip across to Horsham Developments and had a stage 1a chip fitted, a fast road alignment, and a dyno session. At 1.1bar my car made 274.1bhp which i was happy with. The fast road alignment made the world of difference too so i drove out of h-dev with what seemed like a different car, i recommend jez to anybody!

I ran up the strip at santa pod about a month after the chip was fitted and got a 13.7 which i was happy with for the power of my car

Got my MOT done at work

random picture

A front wheel bearing went recently so i changed that, and i have recently built up the majority of my new turbo kit. Im going to fit this HKS 2540 (t3 flanged meant to be a direct replacement for rb25's) topmount on a cast manifold with a 38mm wastegate. Im going to fit it with 740cc injectors and a z32 afm and hope for somewhere between 330bhp and 350. Ive made up most of my downpipe, its going to have a flexy in it and il be fitting a wideband lambda soon so theres two lambda boss's, one near the turbo in the stock position and one around a meter from the turbo for the wideband. I have everything i need bar a couple of gaskets and got to sort out my oil drain.
    I also need to get a type 1 intercooler soon, and il be relocating the battery into the boot, then il be hard wiring the fuel pump in to make sure theres no voltage drop at high load.
    Made up a bracket with a solid rod to hold the wastegate shut, a less permanent method than welding it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Rides
    Sits really nice!

Rides
    You are doing well mate its looking nice, what kind of power are you going for?

Rides
    looks great dude. Good progress so far. Top mounts look great. what seat is that, a friend a mine has the same seat but without the wrap around parts for his EG.

Rides
    nice progress dude, loving the wheels...think youve persuaded me to get some!

looking forward to seeing the top-mount fully built!

Rides
    Awesome! Where in SE London are you? I'm near Bexleyheath

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    Awesome! Where in SE London are you? I'm near Bexleyheath
    Orpington mate, not far.
    Got this today, nothing exciting, but rocker cover gasket. Ive had my mate paint another rocker cover for me, so in the next couple of weeks il be changing my vtc sprocket, cleaning out the cam spray bars and swapping my rocker cover over for the painted one.

also a couple of pics of the downpipe, and the reducer from downpipe to exhaust, with the wideband boss tacked in, im joining the downpipe to the exhaust with a v band flange.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by darrengodfrey View Post
    You are doing well mate its looking nice, what kind of power are you going for?
    Hopefully 350 for now, but when I can uprate the gearbox then maybe more

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by joetheeskimo View Post
    looks great dude. Good progress so far. Top mounts look great. what seat is that, a friend a mine has the same seat but without the wrap around parts for his EG.
    Corbeau pro race, its quite old but light and strong. Id like another one for the passenger but as its old they don't seem to come up that often.

Rides
    How much was the rocker cover gasket?

Rides
    cost me £26 with the spark plug seals too. I think retail was £33+vat though so more like £40

found a couple more photos:

when i bought it with rotas and tractor height

then after coilovers but with standard wheels

Last edited by inliner_04; 31-10-2013 at 19:23.

Rides
    nice progress so far mate. nice to see another local 200

Rides
    Made this yesterday. L bracket with eye on top of it for snap hook harness. The bolt for the seat runner goes through it...

Rides
    got the turbo all bolted up today, wastegate plumbed in, oil and water lines all sorted bar the oil drain, which im just waiting for one adapter for. downpipes getting welded this week. should be all done by next weekend. Got my painted rocker cover too now.
    picture when id just started the elbow.

Rides
    Heat wrapped my exhaust with titanium heat wrap, downpipe will be heatwrapped too,

Rides
    just waiting for this now

Rides
    cars looking good mate, only thing id be watching for, is the large silicon intake tube being sucked shut, seen it happen a few times with that type of pipe........unless i have missed something?