Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best coilovers for the money

Rides

best coilovers for the money

im looking to buy some decent coilovers for around the £500-700 so far ive found apex which i owned previously, tein super streets, BC racing and HSD HR. Whats the best of the bunch?

Rides
    Don't think i've heard a bad word about the HSD coilies, same with the Apex in fact.

Couple of people i've spoken to have had bad experiences with the Teins

The one person who I believe has BC racing coilovers on here was also very impressed with them iirc

Best of the bunch IMO would be the HSD's - they would probably be the ones I went for anyway.

With the group buy on the Apex coilies atm, for what they are, they are hard to turn down at GB price.

Rides
    HSD's all the way. For the money you will not get better.

Rides
    HSDs may be outside that budget though (around the £800 mark), but very good quality anyhow.

Rides
    I'll have an informed opinion on my Apex coilies after this weekend and Anglesey next Friday. First impressions were ok, but didn't feel like they were damping nicely to me from my brief test drive Tuesday night. That was only 4 miles though so not representative lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross S14 View Post
    HSDs may be outside that budget though (around the £800 mark), but very good quality anyhow.
    Worth saving the extra pennies for suspesion that actually has damping rates matched to spring rates. I've run both Apex and HSD's on road and track on S14's and the difference is Night and Day. The old addage rings true, you get what you pay for. Also damper dyno's don't lie and it said, "Fail", with the Apex units.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMS14 View Post
    Worth saving the extra pennies for suspesion that actually has damping rates matched to spring rates. I've run both Apex and HSD's on road and track on S14's and the difference is Night and Day. The old addage rings true, you get what you pay for. Also damper dyno's don't lie and it said, "Fail", with the Apex units.
    you dont get what you pay for tein cost me over £1500 and the apex gen 2 was just as good

was that not the problem apex gen 1 and apex are now using the gen 2 which are much improved and a dam lot better.

I have not used hsd but i have used both apex gen 1, gen 2, tein type flex and currently have bc racing ER with external reservoir

Apex gen 1 was too hard work good on track but thats about it. the gen 2 which is what apex now sell is shed loads better and i did not get any crashing over bumps etc.. worked really well same with the tein type flex all tho due to the spring rates where softer and better for street use

I moved onto the BC racing ER which is the top of the line coilover from BC with Separate compression, rebound damping adjustment and the external reservoir so increased oil capacity reduces peak oil temperatures which decreases variations in damping rates due to oil viscosity changes. The reduction in damping rate variations improves handling. i basically want to be able to fine tune them more due to all the track work i plan on doing

Rides
    the HSD HR ones i found are

http://www.jdmgarageuk.com/store/Bra...s/p-97-99-470/

i was impressed with the apex but my friends HSD TT's seem a lot smoother.

so best to avoid tein super streets and the basic BC racing?

Rides
    Tein have useless top mount adjusters (or non at all if using Super Street)

Rides
    Damo. I clean forgot about TEIN when making my Point, you're 100% right there, TEIN are shite, their customer service is even worse and you pay through the nose for it. GJDM for pointing that out.

Rides
    I love my inverted Apex Performance coilovers (10/8s I think they are, bareable on most roads )

Rides
    BCs are the same as Apex Gen 2s

Rides
    What are you using them for? If it's mostly fast road then you won't do better than the Teins

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    My Hsd hr's are awesome Now I've set them up properly I couldn't be happier with them. Great handling and no knocks or bangs etc. Great bit of kit
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    mostly fast road and drift days

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_SX View Post
    i was impressed with the apex but my friends HSD TT's seem a lot smoother.
    HSD TT's are a more 'fit and forget' coilover, reducing the problems introduced with users 'fiddling'.

You'll find alot of people complaining about their coilover will be much happier if they just softened them up a touch.

HSD TT's are about £500, great for fast road and light track. Apex units are cheaper but spend some time setting them up properly.

Rides
    i would be getting the apex type twos which are more than HSD no? as the group buy is over?

Rides
    Just seen the group buy is on again so got my name down just won't make jae ;(

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_SX View Post
    Just seen the group buy is on again so got my name down just won't make jae ;(
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drif...5-shipped.html

Can't go wrong really....

EDIT: Lol.. just noticed you've got an S13.. I'd still go for HSD's over Apex though!
    Last edited by Mark D; 28-08-2010 at 20:01.

Rides
    I opted for HSD HRs, in the process of fitting them now