Thread: Don't shout at me...running T1-R's backwards?

Rides

Question Don't shout at me...running T1-R's backwards?

Have done this in the past with the likes of F1's on the rear, to make them last a little longer while doing skids. Has anyone tried running them the wrong way round up front though?

I'm well aware it sounds stupid, but the Toyos came off the M3 which runs silly camber up front, and are going on the S13 for a trackday this weekend, which also runs a fair bit of camber. The tyres are pretty much mint except from the inner 3rd being a bit worn - worn enough that I suspect I'll wreck the insides with this 1 trackday. So basically, are they actually still quite useable back to front? It's a drift trackday so absolute front end grip isn't totally necessary, but I don't want it to be worse than Linglong's or something!

Rides
    I'd imagine (but don't blame me if you crash into a bus shelter full of nuns because of it) it'd be ok as long as it doesn't rain. If it does rain they'll be worse than useless.

Rides
    Edit: i totally didnt read your post properly.

Rides
    I think the main problem is if it's wet - water will be funnelled into the middle, rather than expelled out the sides from the tread...

Rides
    Look at it this way, at least if it does rain all you have to do is swap the wheels left to right and they'll be the right way round again...

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    put the left tyre on the right rim then the worn part of the tyre would be on the out side, same the other way

Rides
    Thanks lads, figured it wouldn't be major scrabble unless it rained. Exactly Pete, if its raining then I'd be keeping the road wheels on the back too as Crail turns into an ice rink!

Quote Originally Posted by ex-ctr View Post
    put the left tyre on the right rim then the worn part of the tyre would be on the out side, same the other way
    They're directional though mate, so if you run them in the right direction then the inside will always be the inside. I've done what you've said, but it means the tread is facing backwards. Well, unless you had them on all 4 wheels, but the matching rears are too wide unfortunately!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-ctr View Post

i do tihs with my road tyres... its cheaper for me to do thisd half way through the tyre life (15quid...) then buying a new pair

dont work with "inner/outer" tyres thou

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavbo View Post
    T

They're directional though mate, so if you run them in the right direction then the inside will always be the inside. I've done what you've said, but it means the tread is facing backwards. Well, unless you had them on all 4 wheels, but the matching rears are too wide unfortunately!

thats if you swap the wheels.

you gotta turn the tyre around on the rim. then put that rim on the opposite side of the car that it came off

trust me. it works like i said above

Rides

Swap them across the rims

Rides
    Baws I went out right after I wrote that, as soon as I left the house I realised I was talking out my arse Not that I had this exact thing done on the M3 last month or anything Sorry ex-ctr you are indeed correct

Rides
    Your car will explode dude

Rides
    Baws
    Haw Haw 'Points and laughs'

Rides
    Its crail. Your tyres are going to get pumped in 2 laps anyway lol

Rides
    off topic/ can I have your m3 please /off topic

and whats wrong with ling longs? wang li's or any tyre manufactured from the remains of pencil rubbers?!

Rides
    If its the inside that wearing then it doesn't matter how much you swap them, the inside is still going to wear. You'll have to swap the lhs tyres with the rhs tyres.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by chavbo View Post
    baws i went out right after i wrote that, as soon as i left the house i realised i was talking out my arse :d not that i had this exact thing done on the m3 last month or anything Sorry ex-ctr you are indeed correct
    thick hunt