Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: LED Dashboard Light Group Buy

Rides
    I have to admit I thought this was going to be a plug and play set for some reason hence chasing it up so much. If it's just a supply of LEDs and resistors then I can just head to Maplins and crack on following the guide Sideways has just linked. Done them in a Fiesta before so much the same.

Rides
    cheers for that guide sideways!

Rides
    the switches you need little tiny bulbs to make life simple, for the dashboard you need 501s and a 210 I think it is for the clock.

I keep being let down by suppliers, it's a total pain

The bulbs on the switches last for 10 years it seems, so it's the way I would go, LEDs in them and having to mess with resistors would just be excessively tricky.

Rides
    Just ordered all the stuff i wanted from Maplins, total of 11 quid iirc.

Thats the red led's for the actual illumination, 2 new white leds for the two switches that have feed back bulbs (heater and fogs)
    Then i have 2 red leds for the front fogs (even though they are gone) and lamp adjuster.

Also have several resistors as well for 12v > 3v work , might need another couple for the white leds in the feedback buttons as they might not be fed from the illumination wire (the one getting the resistor) so might need to do two for each of those but will see.

Also got a couple of extra reds to stick under the mirror adjustment switch, might see if i can get the edges of it illuminated red as well

Got leds for the heater controls as well and a resistor.

Took the lamps out of the all the switches to be ready.

Looks to be a piece of piss to do, shouldnt take any time.
    Last edited by Sideways14a; 29-03-2011 at 13:44.

Rides
    You say feedback buttons. Are you referring to when the dash switches are 'ON', the light that then illuminates? I assume there is enough room to have an LED and resistor plumbed in behind the switch? It was a tight squeeze in the Mk4/5 Fiesta buttons.

I thought the headlamp level adjust was white bulb with green tinted plastic so any colour change wont be great as it will be overpowered by the green anyway???

It is true the bulbs lasted ages, so I dont see why not fitting new ones wouldnt be considered. Assuming they are as bright as LEDs. (I'd be going for white). Let us know what the backlit mirror switch is light. Altho nothing else down there lights up I think it's nice to keep it in the dark down there. I have Fogs, mirrors and aerial switch to illuminate down there if I want to, but considering none of them do I may leave it. Might be odd having that end of the centre console lit up.

I do see the benefits of Bulbs or 501 fitment bulbs or LED versions as it's plug and play but my sidelight ones failed within no time at all.

Rides
    Should be plenty of room for a resistor, it aint a big thing

I have the whole centre part out at the moment refreshing it so will be doing a big tidy up to the massive amount of wiring behind the radio.

There is wiring for the switches obviously, the radio the heater ect, the emanage has some in there, the RLTC has a bit (most of those two are down by the ecu though) and also a boost controller, wideband and oil pressure guage - ohh and the KS3 is going to be moved down there.

Hence carrying a fire extinguisher at all times

Rides
    That reminds me, really need to plumb in this RLTC but too chicken to tackle it alone. It's sat in a box and all I think about is selling it. I should really fit it and that idea will quickly leave my mind. Need a sunny wiring weekend on the car. A chance to see why my folding mirros stoped working. I'm guessing I need larger gauge wire. The motors are fine with a direct 12v feed.

Rides
    Any updates?

Rides
    So is this going to happen?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    You'll have to wait a while for a reply I think mate as I'm pretty sure Evilchap is on holiday this week
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Is/Was it his wedding? That's fair enough.

Rides
    And now?