Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My Renault 5 turbo restoration project

Rides
    Right busy evening for me

Went over to cambridge to collect my win on ebay and i've scored alot more than i thought

won on ebay
    head
    gearbox
    carb
    loads of interior switchs
    + got given for free
    a set of push rods
    inlet manifold
    exhaust manifold
    water pump + housing
    fuel regulator
    rocker cover
    uprated head bolts which i'll bin as new ones are cheap enough

Manky looking Gearbox

Head + manifolds

Rocker cover + push rods + uprated head bolts

T2 turbo going away to be made into a t25/t2 hybrid = more power :biggrin:

Carb that needs tlc

Stripped the head down to a bare head, valves and springs ready for measuring thickness and straightness then of for a crack test and skimming in the future when money allows

Gearbox stripped down
    Cover is good and 5th gear is fine just need to find out how to swap them in situ as this gearbox is too manky internally to put in the car

Taught the bro how to strip a 5 carb and check jet sizes. its all standard jets so i'll be ultrasonic tanking it to make it uber clean through out and treating it to gasket set

Rides
    been having a go trying to get these gears off with no pullers that fit at home

Screwdrivers + blow torch and hammer =

5th gear and everything is off

Now time to order a curry from the local and then take the one off the car in situ, this could get interesting

Might have the car back for the weekend at this rate 8)

Rides
    Might have an issue
    Doner 5th gear's are different sizes, thickness, design and ratio's, to what i have on the car

The doner is jb3 032 and the one in the car is jb3 014, both have the same diff ratios and gear ratios so they should be the same, yet visually there different gears
    So did a bit of checking and i think someone has swapped mine over before for maybe a campus gearset at some point as thats the only guess i have as to why they are different and the reason behind me finding bits of needle roller in the casing with the gears

After finding what other bits i need to swap to make it work without grinding the casing it was all put back together with loctite

Broken needle roller casing

Broken 5th gear teeth

Broken vs new

5th gear difference between new and old

5th gear teeth design difference

Difference between other gear of 5th between old and new

Back together

Good vs bad end covers

Rides
    Update time

Been giving him some tweeking over the last week while he's been garaged up after a 2 week daily use mission with no problems

Replaced all the blowns dash button bulbs and dial bulbs now i can see what i'm pressing
    Strut brace is back on
    Fiddled with the carb enrichment pump adjustment
    Carried out the "cup" mod now boost is up to around 16-15psi

Then last saturday the track prepping began for snetterton track day

Took him out after putting in 200ml of millers extra cool (3.6% mix with renault premix coolant and a bottle of millers octane booster to stop any det that may come with the increased heat from 20 mins of abuise

Coolant temps are now alot more steady than before.
    When giving it some abuise the temp moves up a little but not half as much as before but the temp comes down alot quicker than before so its doing its job well

Adjusted the brake bias as it was majorly to the rear so i could bed the new pads and disc's in. So now its more to the front.

Changed the oil aswell still using mineral oil for now as its working fine and i want to make sure its bedded in 100% as i've only done 950 miles since i built the block, will wait till around 1500 miles before i start using semi synth

Then some pictures from snetterton

Got some pictures sent to me from sunday

The car survived so we was happy

also a video where you can see where i slowed to let my mates mini overtake me @ about 5 minutes in ( mini looked great overtaking and then the R5 overtaking the mini after it overheated @ around 8 minutes

Rides
    Braided lines, and full polyrace bush kit

Excuse the manky oily subframe its just what is left from the gearbox overhaul.
    Had to shave off a few mm off the wishbone bushes with a grinder to make them fit into the subframe without having to bring out the big hammer.

Wishbone bush was red but after burning out the old bushes it was hard to keep my hands clean

Antiroll bar end bush

Antiroll bar mounting bush

Then the brakes were next as they were pants on track and faded to nothing on the 3rd lap
    So an order was placed...

Brembo discs £23 delivered from next day brakes
    And
    Carbone lorraine rc5+ pads from Ktec, which i will use for track days only and swap over to normal pads for any everyday stuff or driving to static car shows

Pads look so yummy

Baby size brake discs

So with the rear calipers already replaced a while back i felt the need for more shiney bits and since the front calipers are the only ones left on the car which were old, manky and had a slightly sticky piston on the passenger side....

2 new front calipers turned up aswell

Then tonight i have been swapping over the old red dot pads and unknown discs for my new shiney brakes

New stuff fitted

Old brake disc not looking very healthy at all

Now i'm just waiting on some brake hose securing clips from renault as mine will probably fall to bits as soon as i go near them lol and it would look wrong having new hoses and old manky clips.

Then its back to the rear axle in an attempt to raise it up a few mm or so but that will be next week's mission

After begging the boss for time off,
    i've booked a couple of taster sessions so i can shakedown the car with the new stuff on
    30th August at bedford autodrome on the gt circuit
    8th september will be the return to the great snetterton 300
    If all goes well without any big problems then i'll start doing some full day track days

Rides
    love it, have a bit of a soft spot for 5 turbos,

after a chat with a friend who rallys one i will basically just pass on the message to you from him,

"throwing away the stock carb and installing injection is the best thing ive ever done, its increased drivability, low down torque, up top power and throttle response"

all hes done is installed the injection system from an R19 16v with a mappable piggyback ecu. had some injector bosses welded into the stock manifold, and fitted a throttle body to where the stock carb used to be.

he is propperly good at setting up and tuning the origional carb set up but hes totally sold now with the injection and wishes hed never spent so long pissing about with the carb,

he runs 240bhp with the t25 turbo and its an absolute animal, i do still chuckle when i see all the scary mess of pipes etc under the bonnet of the R5, its scary to look at let allone work on ha,