Thread: cutting , polishing 2k paint

Rides

cutting , polishing 2k paint

Right im half way through painting my car in 2k paint , it is direct gloss (no laquer) ive tried using g3 with machine polisher then autoglym polish after but its still abit dull/swirl marks. Someone suggested using g10 after the g3 , could someone whos clued up on this reccommend some polish etc.. cheers dan

Rides
    I Use A Meguiars Dual Action Polisher on mine on setting 3 - 4 and then use there Ultimate Compound and it gets rid of alott of the defects without damaging or scratching the surface and removes swirls etc. Not sure what your doing on the body work but that what i use on my car and it comes up mint

Hope this helps

Rides
    cheers mate , having spent a couple of hours messing around with it i think its the quality of my painting , but am going to try a mates meguiars machine and see what happens

Rides
    Have you flatted the paint, or are you just trying to get it back up with the mop? Best thing is wetflat it with 1500, (or even 1200 if really bad, but you'd better have plenty of paint on there) 2000 then 3000 (if you can find some) and then machine it with G3, then G10. Personally, I would make sure you are using a geared rotary polisher/sander, those dual action Porter Cable type mops are a bit gutless!
    Last edited by tallpaul; 04-08-2010 at 21:47.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tubbydan View Post
    Right im half way through painting my car in 2k paint , it is direct gloss (no laquer) ive tried using g3 with machine polisher then autoglym polish after but its still abit dull/swirl marks. Someone suggested using g10 after the g3 , could someone whos clued up on this reccommend some polish etc.. cheers dan
    G3 is a cutting compound and will leave swirl marks. Good after wet sanding to remove 1500 marks.
    Then you need a finishing compound like 3m ultra fine to get the mirror finish.

I have got good results using the 3M colour code system.

Rides
    thanks mate ill take a look at the 3m stuff cheers and yeah ive been flatting back with 1500/2000 before cutting

Rides
    3000 grit wow where the hell would you get that from?I find it hard to get 2000grit Does anybody know the link for that very detailed guide to using an orbital polisher? Alot of info is in that guide

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 5imon View Post
    3000 grit wow where the hell would you get that from?I find it hard to get 2000grit Does anybody know the link for that very detailed guide to using an orbital polisher? Alot of info is in that guide

Get yourself over to detailingworld, some excellent guides on there. As for high grade paper i got mine from i4detailing and cleanyourcar.

Rides
    I only use 3M products, And they work fantastically.

Widely used by most Car repairers and Custom Shops alike.

Without spending a fortune, You could get by with the Basics:

• Hit the car with a 1200 Grit DA, - 1500 by hand.
    • 3M Fast Cut Plus on a Machine Polisher.
    • 3M Machine Polish or Machine Glaze either on a Polisher or DA Sander.
    • Polish by hand with a Finishing cloth.
    • Wax it if you choose.

Should leave you with Glassy Flat panels, Deep Gloss and No Swirl Marks or Holograms.

And you will have only needed to buy about Five Products.

Hope this helps.

Rides
    cool, thanks for the advise but ive just talked a mate into spraying it (he works at a bodyshop) if i do all the prep work but do i still use the same tequnique of cuting/polishing if clear over base and not 2k paint.
    May not need to of course but would be nice to know anyway.

cheers dan

Rides
    It's not going to make any difference if you choose a 2K Solid or a Basecoat with a 2K Clear.

The same process of sanding the imperfections from the surface, Then polishing them back up will apply.

The only precaution when flatting paintwork that you haven't done yourself, Is that the flatting/sanding process removes material, So you want to have enough on there, To be able to sand it down without cutting through ?

If you're getting a knowledgeable person to paint it, with decent materials, then you shouldn't have any issues.

Just to be on the safe side, Stay away from edge's and harsh lines, Swage lines, etc....
    They're the most likely area's to cut through.