Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stack dash

Rides

Stack dash

Has anyone on here fitted a stack dash to their car?
    How would you got about sorting the lights for indicators, main beams, etc. Does anyone have any pictures or experiance on the subject?
    Does remove the stock dash clocks have an adverse affect on anything, because on the s13 the stock diff oil cooler will only operate above 10mph and works off of the dash clocks, do the s14's or 15's have anything like this?

Thanks for all your help.

Rides
    the stock diff cooler wont work anyway.. they suck.

the telltale lights would have to be fitted separately.

the various outputs of the car will allow the dash to work fine..

the only thing you will need to do is gut the stock dash and use the speedo hidden away to convert the VSS in the gearbox to digital impulse for the ecu..

this is totally dependant on whether you need this input.

i have fitted this type of dash to a few cars now and never encounter too many problems..
    usuals are calibrating fuel sender and speedo drives to give good accuracy

Rides
    a lot of money and hassle for something that does the same thing as the standard dash and some gauges...unless you're building a single seater or a kit it seems kinda pointless

there's a speed computer in the osr wing for the diff cooler, you can feed it a pulse from the original dash electronics or use a dakota digital sgi5 or similar to feed it but it's a waste of time. s14's only come on over 75mph and 110C diff oil temp or something like that. just rip out the 2 relays and speed computer and use one of the temp switches in the diff casing via a relay to switch the cooler on

Rides
    I allready have a stack sitting in my room from my track project which will probably be shelved, so rather than sell it and have a load of ugly gauges showing oil temp, oil pressure and water temp, i can have a nice tidy single dash do it all with warning lights for no real cost, just a bit of work.

I'm not keen on haveing the speedo hidden away somewhere, but if thats what has to be done.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by martinbattye View Post
    the only thing you will need to do is gut the stock dash and use the speedo hidden away to convert the VSS in the gearbox to digital impulse for the ecu..
    Forgive my ingnorance.

So the gearbox sends a VSS signal (which is what exactly?) to the cluster which converts it to a digital signal and sends it to the ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by martinbattye View Post
    this is totally dependant on whether you need this input.
    Why does the ECU need a speed signal, is it just for the aforementioned diff cooler or is there another reason

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    Why does the ECU need a speed signal, is it just for the aforementioned diff cooler or is there another reason
    there are alot of random things that need a speed pulse to work, like the airbag, that "should" only go off in an accident over 29mph, so that needs to know how fast your driving.

Rides
    Well the airbag will be removed for an aftermarket steering wheel and there will be no airbag light as that will go when the stackdash goes in. Although i would prefer the passenger one to still work.

Will the lack of ABS and Airbag lights cause problems at MOT time.

I think the only tell tale lights i'll have will probably be something like these

Rides
    I'll have to see if a wizard with electronics can make a tiny box which would send the speed signal on to the ECU, is that even physically plausible?

Rides
    I did this... (have replicated most of the stock telltails, all bar door IIRC; and added a couple of cal switches and a knock warning light)
    AIM do a version of my dash that has telltails on it, but then you lose the warning functionality of the lights.

Rides
    yeouch.. smell that money.....

Rides
    Wasn't that bad, bought it S/H but unused from a member here for ~550 IIRC (which before the dollar/pound went bad was about the price new, think they are around £700 new now), it came with the glass/carbon surround bit (which after about 20 hours of filling, filing, sanding and dremelling fits), then £20 of LEDs, rotary switches and ATX motherboard connectors.

Rides
    I've got the same dash as Jezz, just used 6 LED's for the warning lights, biggest problem was trying to calibrate the fuel readout, gave up in the end and fitted a stack gauge in the ashtray space in the end.

Rides
    They look great guys.

At least now i know it is possible, i cant see those being that different from a stack to wire up.

Jezz, is that plug on the back just chopped off of your original clocks, and then its as simple as a wire that does each light just connected to a bulb/led? Somehow i get the feeling it's far more complicated than that.

If you couldn't tell electronics aren't my strong point

Rides
    Oh and another thing. Say your car was on 60,00 miles before you installed your new dash, does your new dash start from 0. So when you look back through your MOT's it looks like your cars being clocked, or is there a way to set them up?

Rides
    No it's not the original plugs, they are PC power supply plugs(ATX, from Maplin ~£1.50 for each half).
    Basically, I've got the other end of the plug spliced into the car loom connectors. Spent a couple of hours working out which wire needs to be spliced into which, and whether it needs to go to ground or be supplied 12v.

one of those plugs does all the telltails, the other goes to my ECU and other stuff.

This is for an S13 which has 3 plugs going to the dash, though I suspect the S14 is the same.

RE the odometer, I have looked at clocking mine to the real mileage and I don't think it's possible, maybe it is with the stak?
    Just make a note of when the clocks were changed, but as you say previous MOTs will pretty much verify the mileage.

Rides
    what i would do for a stack dash!

Rides
    It's so much neater than the other options too

I have been looking into it for some time now but it's a cost that i don't want at present.

It's going to happen though but when money permits.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Right guys, there has actually been some work done on this over the past couple of months and im getting to the stage where i've mounted the stack dash on a piece of plastic and installed all the leds. I am about to connect up the stck loom in my car. It has its own sensors for fuel pressure, oil pressure, boost pressure, water temperature and oil temperature so they are relatively straight forward and don't need any splicing into the loom.

It's the RPM signal, and speed signal which have me concerned.

The RPM signal says,
    "The engine speed (RPM) is measured by connecting the engine speed wire directly to the ignition system. A single wire from the connector labelled ES, connects the Display System to the ignition system or low tension side of the coil."
    So im guessing that i can't just splice into the RPM output signal from the ECU?

The speed signal says,
    "Wheel speed sensor (optional)
    The Display System is supplied with one stack ST670 proximity sensor as an optional feature. This sensor is used to measure wheel speed in order to display the vehicle's speed in MPH or km/h. Tje sensor provides an electrical pulse to the system eash tiome a ferrous object, such as a wheel bolt, passes near to the end of the sensor. When you configure the system, you will need to supply the circumfrance of the wheel and the number of ferrous objects that will be counted for each revolution of the wheel."
    I didn't actually get the wheel sensor with the Dash System, and as it sends pulses, again i guess i woun't be able to connect to the ECU output.

If anyone has any input or advice with connecting these two inputs i'd be very appreciative.

Rides
    If the dash is expecting a pulse, you could just connect it to the speed sensor in the gearbox which will also pulse, and play about with the settings until you get it right. I imagine a pulse will be created by the dash having a voltage accross the two wires to the sensor, which is just interrupted by the sensor to create a pulse... assuming both the aftermarket sensor and standard ones do this so it might work

Rides
    You could also get a dakota digital box of tricks that some use when swapping the SR for the RB
    Last edited by VIDAL BABBOON; 26-10-2010 at 20:36.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.