Thread: Anyone owned/own a Go Kart

Rides

Anyone owned/own a Go Kart

Im looking to buy a Pro Kart for track days etc was just wondering where you guys take/took your carts, be good to know of places in the midlands where you can turn up and race your own Kart if there are any??

Rides
    Have a look at the Club100 schedule fella, there's a few up your way I think

Most tracks you can rock up on the day on your own kart and it's cheapy cheap, but usually only during the week. which is the main reason why I've not got back into it because, other than that and the cost of spare parts like sprockets chains etc, it's the cheapest and bestest form of motorsport

Rides
    I used to race karts as a kid, the ones i remember are birmingham wheels, pf international in lincoln, three sisters in wigan. There used to be a good one in chasewater but unfortunately it became the birmingham relief road.

They are a bit few and far between up this neck of the woods, there are quite a few down south though I doubt they are much use to you

Rides
    Cheers guys Ill have a look at that lot, any advice as to which Karts to look at?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clarity View Post
    Cheers guys Ill have a look at that lot, any advice as to which Karts to look at?
    If you're just starting out, anything will feel bloody fast

Decide what you fancy - twin engine pro kart or a 2 stroke 100. The 2 stroke is obviously much more jerky and peaky, the twins are much easier to deal with as a beginner.

You'll need to set your budget and think more then

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    If you're just starting out, anything will feel bloody fast

Decide what you fancy - twin engine pro kart or a 2 stroke 100. The 2 stroke is obviously much more jerky and peaky, the twins are much easier to deal with as a beginner.

You'll need to set your budget and think more then
    I think max £1000 to start with I already have the suit etc, what did you used to race?

Rides
    If you just want to have a bit of fun a pro kart will probably be best, slower and heavier but much cheaper to run. A typical race weekend (100cc TKM) would typically cost me up to around £400 once you've paid for engine rebuilds and tyres.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    If you just want to have a bit of fun a pro kart will probably be best, slower and heavier but much cheaper to run. A typical race weekend (100cc TKM) would typically cost me up to around £400 once you've paid for engine rebuilds and tyres.

I dont think I want to get into at that level, club level is enough for me so think ill take your advice and go for a Pro Kart, any ideals on which brand is best or any advice?

Rides
    see if there are any hill climbs local as well.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    see if there are any hill climbs local as well.
    Good Idea

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by clarity View Post

I dont think I want to get into at that level, club level is enough for me so think ill take your advice and go for a Pro Kart, any ideals on which brand is best or any advice?
    to be honest if it's for some fun which brand won't make a huge difference as long as it's straight and in good shape. I always had (and still do, buried in my parents garage!) a Zip chassis. It's worth spending a bit on a new seat to fit you well, I'd recommend Tillet. Make sure when mounting it, it's as low as possible (i.e. level with the bottom of the chassis rails). It does make a BIG difference to the handling.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    to be honest if it's for some fun which brand won't make a huge difference as long as it's straight and in good shape. I always had (and still do, buried in my parents garage!) a Zip chassis. It's worth spending a bit on a new seat to fit you well, I'd recommend Tillet. Make sure when mounting it, it's as low as possible (i.e. level with the bottom of the chassis rails). It does make a BIG difference to the handling.
    Thanks for the advice ill no doubt ask about something ive found on Ebay soon

Rides
    Do it, I loved my kart, it was stupid

Zip Chassis
    4pot kelgate brakes upfront with massive rear twin pot on the axle
    and to propel the mofo, had a TM250 bike engine.

I want another one at some point.

As for racing/getting into it, there's a fair few tracks around that allow use of your own kart.