Thread: Electronic Rust Protection

Rides

Electronic Rust Protection

Anyone here know or tested this on their cars. Anyone think it could work? A guy over on the GTIR owners forum has one and i just wanted to see if anyone over here thinks its work trying?

This is a rough guide to what it is http://www.corrosionvci.com/Auto_Rust_Protection/

Rides
    Looking at that page: it's complete, utter, total pseudoscientific knackers and a waste of money.

Rides
    has effectively controlled corrosion on underwater steel bridge supports
    I do believe there is a key word in that sentance that suggests it probably won't work.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by randomnine View Post
    Looking at that page: it's complete, utter, total pseudoscientific knackers and a waste of money.
    You get that impression just from the look of the site, you don't even have to start reading. What a load of bollocks.

Rides
    Just bolting some pieces of zinc to the body. E.g. wheel arches, would probably do the same thing. The zinc will "corrode" over time, preventing or reducing rust. It is sacrifical which is why zinc plated steel sheets last and plain steel sheets rust.

OK I have somewhat simplified what happens.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_melon View Post
    You get that impression just from the look of the site, you don't even have to start reading. What a load of bollocks.
    ^ THIS!

Electronic rust control is a proven science.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjdart View Post
    Just bolting some pieces of zinc to the body. E.g. wheel arches, would probably do the same thing. The zinc will "corrode" over time, preventing or reducing rust. It is sacrifical which is why zinc plated steel sheets last and plain steel sheets rust.
    Zinc plated steel stops rust as it's a total barrier first and foremost, and also is further along the galvonic table, so acts as sacrificial.

Bolting zinc to bits of car will only work if the cars is immersed in something conductive, air isn't so this will not really work

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjdart View Post

OK I have somewhat simplified what happens.
    the idea behind zinc primer

Rides
    ok lads i think you have taken the site to heart and i know it looks shit but its actually scientifically proven to work. ignore the look of the site its just there so you guys kind of understand what it is about. And i know all about zinc primers and sacrificial metals etc but i wanted to see your views on the electronic rust prevention. Not the shit site lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Zinc plated steel stops rust as it's a total barrier first and foremost, and also is further along the galvonic table, so acts as sacrificial.

Bolting zinc to bits of car will only work if the cars is immersed in something conductive, air isn't so this will not really work
    Agreed, but as this country is so often wet and, in winter, the roads are salted this does provide some sort of protection.

Not that I would try it, though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by riske View Post
    ok lads i think you have taken the site to heart and i know it looks shit but its actually scientifically proven to work. ignore the look of the site its just there so you guys kind of understand what it is about. And i know all about zinc primers and sacrificial metals etc but i wanted to see your views on the electronic rust prevention. Not the shit site lol
    This only works when the whole thing you are protecting is connected and conductive, and is surrounded in conductive substance such as water.

I cannot see this working in air. I'd like to see the proof!

Rides
    Of course it'll work, dont listen to the naysayers on here, you know it works, its even been scientifically proven, just buy the gear and get it set up. I believe you can also fit magnets around the fuel lines to help ionise the fuel, increasing performance and improving MPG, have you thought about getting some of those too?

Rides
    It seems to be basically a system that uses the same principles used to protect steel rebar in concrete, electrochemical / cathodic protection. Any of the theory i know is based on steel sorrounded by concrete and needs the concrete for the system to work The rust is caused by the relitave acidity of portland cement and the water used to make cement reacting on the surface of the steel. By passing a current through the steel it becomes a cathode and the anodic reaction which causes the deteriation of the steel is isolated within the concrete protecting the steel. I know cathodic protection is used to extend the life of steel bridges too, but i have no idea how that works.

The theory works, but i stll wouldnt put faith in anything from that site tbh

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    This only works when the whole thing you are protecting is connected and conductive, and is surrounded in conductive substance such as water.

I cannot see this working in air. I'd like to see the proof!
    ^^^^^^^As above...

With any electrochemical or galvanic protection, the there must be a completed circuit in the presence of an electrolyte.
    This is why it works underwater and underground / buried in concrete.

This is the similar principle to the magnesium sacricial anode fitted to hot water cylinders, the magnesium is destroyed first and the internal copper protected. However... The external surfaces of the pipework are free to chemically corrode or oxidise.

Oxidisation (Rust) is a different process from galvanic action and I'd love to see the evidence of this working on vehicles.

Proven science, yes in SOME applications... Doesn't work for all.
    Same as a spanner won't undo a screw, it's not the job it was designed for.

Rides
    sigh...

- It only works in water, because it prevents a kind of corrosion that only happens in water.
    - The process requires a sacrificial metal.
    - Even if it did work in air, it requires a constant current through the medium to the sacrificial metal. Because of the resistance of air, this would require an extremely high voltage. You'd have lightning arcing over your car. Sound safe?
    - Your car's body is already negatively charged because that's your earth. Pump any kind of voltage into it and you'll **** up all your electrics.

proven by independent laboratory tests
    Who did these tests? Where can we get the report?

The signal produced by the Rustprotector is sent directly into the vehicle's body. From that point, a positive pulse is sent to all metal grounded to the vehicle body. This "pulse" works to equalizes the many small galvanic differences that exist in an auto body, effectively stabilizing the metal to guard against the damaging decay of metal perforation.
    - "Galvanic differences" are only relevant to galvanic corrosion, which only happens when immersed in an electrolyte - like seawater. It doesn't happen in air.
    - They're chemical differences. A "positive pulse" won't "equalize" them. That's bullshit.
    - Rust doesn't give a shit about "small galvanic differences". Rust is: iron/steel + oxygen + water = rust. Simple.

Rides

Rides
    I think the problem is, he's almost saying that bridges have been protected by Electronic rust protection, in order to validate his product, but fails to say that the cathodic protection is by utilising a sacrificial anode and a completely different method to what he is describing.

Rides
    as far as i know this does work, but not really on a car. it's to do with noble metals submerged in an electrolyte and a natural circuit flowing. the Sydney opera house has something like it. long and sort of it is something will corrode so better the zinc than all the iron holding the building up. i very much doubt it'll work on a car unless you left it in the sea!

Rides
    Have you bought this kit yet? How much more evidence do you want, just get it and fit it.

Rides
    Its on the internet.

It must be true !
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.