Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which of these garage designs?

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides

Which of these garage designs?

OK, yet MORE boring Nick and his garage crap....

We have hit some potential issues - one is that we have identified a covenant in the title which restricts out buildings to a maximum height of 2m!! We have also learned that to fall under "lawful development", given the proximity to the boundary, we would be limited to less than 2.5m overall height. We had originally believed this to be 2.5m eaves, 4m apex, as the wording was ambiguous (we read it to be proximity to the main house, rather than to the boundary of the estate)

What this means for us is that we now have to first of all get agreement from all the neighbours for whatever we build (if it's over 2m). Once we know what they will unanimously agree too, we can then go to the planning office for permission to build something over 2.5m if the neighbours agree. If the planning falls through or the neighbours will not go for an option of more than 2.5m, then we need to go down the lawful development route. If the neighbours won't play ball at all, then we are limited to 2m height.

So, here are the options. Options 1 and 1.1 are in principle the perfect word options. They take up less floor space in the garden. I must confess, that option 2 is starting to have appeal, as it has greater square footage (as a concession to losing the storage space in the roof). Option 3 is of course the worst case scenario.

OPTION1

OPTION 1.1

OPTION 2

OPTION 3
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 25-06-2010 at 13:19.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Do you want to be able to fit a lift in?

Rides
    It say one of the top too. Pitched roofs always look better and you have the additional ceiling height inside if required.

Rides
    option 2 is far nicer, astetically (sp) and practically.

if possible, match the roof pitch and roof/ wall finish of your house, try to compliment surroundings with the windows/ door finishes too

Rides
    Could you not dig down, maybe have the floor level of the garage half a meter below ground level? I guess drainage/flooding may be an issue, but its a thought.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
    I guess drainage/flooding may be an issue, but its a thought.
    build a moat around it then, with a draw bridge! then when the planners come to knock it down you can hide there

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
    build a moat around it then, with a draw bridge! then when the planners come to knock it down you can hide there
    It wont make a very good hiding place if he can only hold his breath for 30 seconds

Rides
    Just realised I didn't label any of the pics - doh. Done now.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    Do you want to be able to fit a lift in?
    Hmm, vague notions of it at one point, but those have since disappeared into the mists. Like I say, a lot of this depends on what the neighbours are happy with.

Rides
    option 2 is far nicer, astetically (sp) and practically.

if possible, match the roof pitch and roof/ wall finish of your house, try to compliment surroundings with the windows/ door finishes too
    Well, it'll be 100 ft way from the house, so it doesn't really matter much. Oh, and what you have called option 2, is option 1.1 in my world (for weird reasons...)

Rides
    Option 1.1 looks best for me although if you are looking into a ramp then you will need to centre the door

Rides
    Another possibly option that the planner might like....

go for the flat roof @ the maximum height of 2.5m, but go for a GREEN roof
    Will still give you a comfortable ceiling height of around 2.25m

If done propery could look quite nice

edit, yes 1.1 sorry

Rides
    If it's not tall enough for a ramp then you'll definitely need an inspection pit

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    can you not bury down? and have it say... sunk 1000mm onto the ground?

Rides
    Any apart from the last one,2m is a door height,if you did work on any other car,like an Altea for example,then you'll only have 6' to jack it up in!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Another possibly option that the planner might like....

go for the flat roof @ the maximum height of 2.5m, but go for a GREEN roof
    Will still give you a comfortable ceiling height of around 2.25m

If done propery could look quite nice

edit, yes 1.1 sorry
    Planner doesn't even need to know if I'm only going up to 2.5m - the neighbours are the only obstactle for option 2

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SX_BIG View Post
    can you not bury down? and have it say... sunk 1000mm onto the ground?
    Yeah - I've thought about it. Not sure what issues I'd have with damp / flooding. My thought was to go down so that the floor was 1000mm below the surounding land, and then build a brick wall up to level and then put the building on top of that.

It's likely be a steel building, buy the way, but possibly timber. Brick or block is way out of budget, on the basis of the quotes I've had.

Rides
    opyion 1 would be the best if you intend on having a 2 post ramp

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    opyion 1 would be the best if you intend on having a 2 post ramp
    Like I say, ramps are way out of scope now.... And to be honest, I've managed without one for all these years. The project that's going to spend most time in there doesn't even have anything to access from underneath....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post

It's likely be a steel building, buy the way, but possibly timber. Brick or block is way out of budget, on the basis of the quotes I've had.
    out of interest what sort of prices have you been quoted for that - I am looking at getting a 20' x 11' garrage put in, just as a carpark - but was quoted £15k - £22k ... so now looking at metal or concrete prefab