Thread: 106 GTi Aka "Percy"

Rides

106 GTi Aka "Percy"

Right then its about time i put the 106 up as a project as its starting to get fiddled with and not in the usual barry way

After buying the 14a my girlfriend decided that she also wanted a fun car to play with.

However unlike the 200 it had to be:

1. Cheap to run (It will do just over 20k miles a year)
    2. Good handling and good speed out of the box
    3. Daily usability
    4. Galvanized or rust free (living in cornwall is not car friendly)

The 4cars that we managed to get down to were

Lexus IS200
    106 GTi
    Toyota Glanza
    BMW 320d

after looking for a 106 for ages and not able to come across anything unmodified we gave up. however one night whilst we were out delivering chinese (evening job whilst at uni) we delivered to a house with this on the drive.

An s2 Phase 1 106 GTi, 100% standard with 80k on the clock!

now the best thing about this GTi was that it was on an R reg which means that it comes with cloth interior instead of the tacky french half leather, and it also has door bump strips both of which were only available on P and R reg GTi's

the only 2 faults with the car were that the passengers side had been keyed and the drivers door had a hole stabed in it where someone had tried to break in and failed.

after some welding and filling from channie the door was hole free. (just not very pretty).

after a few months of owning the car it started to leak oil real bad all over the place and this got real bad a trip to the garage found that a common fault on GTi's is the corner of the headgasket to fail allowing oil to run out the side of the engine. fortunatly this was at the same time as the cambelt was due to be changed so both the cam belt and headgasket came in at just under 400 notes, and no more oil loss.

until a month later when all of a sudden the engine began to sound awful. We quickly pulled over to find the engine almost bone dry, the cause the o ring on the back on the oil cap had split and over the month all the oil had gradually painted the engine bay . what a mess to clean up and after refilling the oil a lucky escape

after the girlfriend got her finances on track after the headgasket incident a new set of wheels were purchased from the pegeout main dealer at a cost of £220

Rallye Steelies, they rally complement the blue and were real good price for a new set of wheels, and at £48 a wheel if one gets smashed or kerbed there not the end of the world to replace them

well in the last year of ownership a few more mishaps occured:

the main engine mount sheered in two and the engine almost dropped out, a new one resulted in £70

also the amarm packed up keeping the indicators constantly illuminated so its been termporarily removed until a toad can be fitted.

next of the adgenda was to find out just how much power she possesed. standard they are 120BHP but apparently most make a tad more. a trip to the south west RR day resulted in:

after giving her a service a K&N pannel filter was sourced, i think that it will propbably make more power than a traditional "induction Kit" as this will make use of the standard airbox which will keep the heat out and pick up cold air with the standard boxes design

Just see the difference in size of the standard filter and the K&N

well that is all we have done over the last year. a new exhuast is being ordered in the next week ready for the weekenders hill climb antics.

then on the list is:

uprated brakes all round
    give it a cheap blowover repray just to cover up the drivers door and passenger side
    uprated shocks all round
    powerflex polybush kit
    uprated radiator

and that should see it almost all ready for some weekend track days and a good hoot on country lanes

here are a few last pics of how is is now :

Rides
    Very nice mate,good work by yo and Hayley! Been looking at it coming along on facebook! Nice looking car,and i bet it handles like on rails!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Awesomes!
    I'd love a 106GTi - just totally failed to find one and ended up with my 14a.
    Steelies were the right way to go fo' sho'! w power and low grip with narrow wheels is an awesome combination for funtime.

Good job lad

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Yup - Hayley keeps telling me to look at pics of Percy I miss my old black 106 GTi. A hoot to drive! Liking the steelies and blue combo

I have to disagree on the rubstrip/half leather half alcantara seats comment though. I much prefer them without the strips and with the better (imo) seats. Gives a much cleaner look.

Still. Its your car!! Looking good - some plans for it and I'll be watching...

Rides
    the handling is awesome, a bush seems to be sqeaking on the front so we will hopefully be fitting a powerflex kit before the weekender.
    along with some grippy tyres

Rides
    Well, since having the car I have done some extensive searching to find a full exhaust system which would improve the response and power and not just make a huge racket.

The best thing I could find was the Pug-sport system, made by Scorpion for Peugeot UK for the Super 1600 Rally series. From the manifold back, De-cating the system and hanging nice and high the to shell to allow low clearance.

The best part is the noise, raspy when on the gas but silent on idle

Rides
    I like this a lot!

Rides
    um your 'tow' sticker is pointing the wrong way!!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmini View Post
    um your 'tow' sticker is pointing the wrong way!!
    A few of us may have mentioned that at the RR day also
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue