Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound reduction through a brick wall

Rides

Sound reduction through a brick wall

Anyone used a product like this?

http://www.soundservice.co.uk/M20.html

We're going to have another baby in a couple of months and I want to reduce some of the noise coming from the living room into the baby's bedroom (bungalow).

This looks an easy enough DIY solution that doesn't require me to build a stud wall

Dave

Rides
    no, but congrats

Rides
    Dave

A couple of sound engineers I know have used that stuff on some of their contracts and reckon it's good

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    no, but congrats
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Dave

A couple of sound engineers I know have used that stuff on some of their contracts and reckon it's good
    Fantastic, that's the sort of recommendation I'm after

Dave

Rides
    I'm doing myself a games room using one of the upstairs bedrooms, so was looking into different types of sounded reduction products. The trouble I found was specifics. No one could say exactly how much to use, and how far to go, it was all just 'as much as you can' type thing.
    Finally spoke to someone decent who basically said unless you are going to attack every aspect of the room with sound reduction you really won't see much improvement.
    For me it would have been taking the joists up and using rubber boots etc. Just not worth it, both in effort and money.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Dave

i would hope so for £32 per square M

thats going to cost loads for just 1 wall

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    i would hope so for £32 per square M

thats going to cost loads for just 1 wall
    It's a very small room, probably about 4-5m2 max on the wall in question.

Dave

Rides
    Are you going to do it yourself

Rides
    The foam packaging you used to get with HP's server hard drives used to be great for that... then they started using those plastic holders instead...

That Rubber stuff is ggod though - they use it at a local studio.

Rides
    Aren't you still going to have to build some sort of stud wall to plasterboard over the sound insulation? At nearly 2 inches thick it is rather, erm, thick

Rides
    anything like that will help reduce the sound but the ideal way is to have a seperate wall. Like a thin stud wall not fixed at all to the brick wallthat has sound quilt insulation between and then the plasterboard. That way the sound vibrating through the brick wall has difficulty then transmitting through the seperate stud wall.

Rides
    sideways step - but still on topic.

How does cavity wall insulation affect sound properties ? ...... if you pump standard fluff into the walls designed to keep the house warm - does it work as sound insulation as well ??

Rides
    I've been wondering about this kind of stuff too, also thought about using sound deadening rolls that you can get for cars as it's much thinner - probably no good for the house though

EDIT: Actually Dynamat do home stuff too

http://www.dynamat.com/products_arch...roduction.html

Jut

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    sideways step - but still on topic.

How does cavity wall insulation affect sound properties ? ...... if you pump standard fluff into the walls designed to keep the house warm - does it work as sound insulation as well ??
    It makes no audible difference - it isn't dense enough.

Rides
    Firstly, congrats

Here's a couple of thoughts from my recent experience (19 week old twins).

- sound leakage in our house seems to come from under and around the door rather than through the walls, some form of draft proofing may be a much cheaper and most effective solution - have a listen in the room and then block up the bottom of the door with a towel and see if it helps.

- ours seem to only be really sound sensitive when first going to sleep, but once asleep are fine and we don't bother much about noise. In my view, it's probably a good idea to get them used to some noise or you're fecked if you go anywhere else, like visiting relatives for example. Maybe limit the noise level when they first go down and then go back to a normal volume. Creeping around all the time is annoying for you and sets up problems for the future.

- on the positive side, you're in a bungalow so don't have to worry about neighbours, ours have been very patient and we've been lucky, but friends of ours have had "words" from their unsympathetic neighbours

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Firstly, congrats

Here's a couple of thoughts from my recent experience (19 week old twins).

- sound leakage in our house seems to come from under and around the door rather than through the walls, some form of draft proofing may be a much cheaper and most effective solution - have a listen in the room and then block up the bottom of the door with a towel and see if it helps.

- ours seem to only be really sound sensitive when first going to sleep, but once asleep are fine and we don't bother much about noise. In my view, it's probably a good idea to get them used to some noise or you're fecked if you go anywhere else, like visiting relatives for example. Maybe limit the noise level when they first go down and then go back to a normal volume. Creeping around all the time is annoying for you and sets up problems for the future.

- on the positive side, you're in a bungalow so don't have to worry about neighbours, ours have been very patient and we've been lucky, but friends of ours have had "words" from their unsympathetic neighbours
    Thanks

I'm not expecting it to be completely silent and I don't want it to be, I just want to be able to watch TV / films at a normal volume without keeping the little one awake. The living room and his bedroom are going to share a wall so I need to dampen the sound a little.

My other son (who's two and a half) is down the hall and is fine with what little noise reaches him.

Good point about the door though

Dave

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    but friends of ours have had "words" from their unsympathetic neighbours
    Why should neighbours be sympathetic towards noise pollution? Being kept up half the night by a baby that isn't your own and isn't in the same house is an absolute pain and shouldn't have to be endured by neighbours. Your friends are selfish, rather than their neighbours unsympathetic

I wish that when neighbours of mine decided to spawn little fcukers with the same face as them that they had been as conscientious as Dave and put some soundproofing in.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
    Thanks

I'm not expecting it to be completely silent and I don't want it to be, I just want to be able to watch TV / films at a normal volume without keeping the little one awake. The living room and his bedroom are going to share a wall so I need to dampen the sound a little.

My other son (who's two and a half) is down the hall and is fine with what little noise reaches him.

Good point about the door though

Dave
    I invested in a set of Radio Headphones to watch TV etc it was much cheaper

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Why should neighbours be sympathetic towards noise pollution? Being kept up half the night by a baby that isn't your own and isn't in the same house is an absolute pain and shouldn't have to be endured by neighbours. Your friends are selfish, rather than their neighbours unsympathetic
    Interesting viewpoint Aitch. You're quite right in that there are always two sides to a coin and noise pollution is very annoying so I can see where you're coming from. I think perhaps there's a distinction between "voluntary" noise like playing music loudly and things that are slightly less controllable like rug-rats crying. We do everything we can to limit noise pollution to our neighbours (cots not on the party wall, room chosen as it borders their kitchen and not their bedroom, not leaving them crying etc), but sometimes they'll cry, I can't do much else to stop it and won't go to the hassle of installing sound deadening for the short time until they grow up and stop wingeing so much. My neighbours understand this, aren't bothered by it and we're lucky I guess. But if they weren't so understanding, I'm not sure I'd do anything differently anyway. To be blunt, I've done everything I'd expect if it was my neighbour in our situation and I think that empathy is the important point.

If my neighbour was consistently putting out "voluntary" (for want of a better description) noise then for me that displays a lack of empathy and I'd be annoyed.

A narrow distinction perhaps, but hey

Rides
    I had the best neighbour in the world at my last place... A deaf one