Thread: Gearbox Oil Change + diff Oil change

Rides

Gearbox Oil Change + diff Oil change

hi guys i'm renewing my fliuids tonight for both and i'm wondering what oils i should use. i've had a quick look on the forum but am still unsure.

just been on the phone to nissan and the storemen actually told me 'we have nothing to tell us what type of oil you car should have' hmmmmm wonder if they just cant be bothered.....i was going to to go nissan and buy the genuine stuff.

anyway i'll have to go elsewhere, i checked autodata at my work and it says 75w90 for the box and 80w90 for the diff. but then i called dingbro and they said 80w90 for the gearbox.......

i'm a tad confused with what is the correct gearbox and diff oil to use. could someone please tell me exactly what i need to buy?? what viscocity and if its fully synthetic??

would i also be right in saying there is GL4 and GL5 types of gear oil??

i'm changing it tonight so i need to know asap so i can order it today though either dingbro or who ever.

also i was told Comma gear oil is very good and its pretty cheap aswell which is a bonus but i dont mind spending a bit more for shell oil etc.

cheers
    jonny.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny mac View Post

anyway i'll have to go elsewhere, i checked autodata at my work and it says 75w90 for the box and 80w90 for the diff.
    That or you can use 75w90 for both. GL4 for the box and GL5 for the diff. If you can a GSF near you they do an oil that you can get thats both a GL4 and GL5
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    right i can get 75w90 for £4.25 plus vat a litre so thats not too bad.

is comma a good enough make??

Rides
    The only light I can shed on this particular matter is that people tend to find the cold shifts easier and less notchy with the official nissan stuff when compared to something like the silkolene oil which I'm currently running in my box. The first 5 mins or so of driving and it's a tad notchy but not all that bad. If you can hold off for a day you can have a shot of mine at the meet thurs night

Rides
    thanks deep blue but i changed it tonight anyway as i had free time at work

used 75w90 GL4 for the box and 75w90 GL5 on the rear diff, thanks for the advice mark.

all i can say is WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! gearbox is so smooth now.

the gearbox oil was a bit dirty on draining then the end came out clean so it wasnt that bad, the diff was also pretty much clean oil but i changed it anyway.

cheers for the help.

Rides
    am i right in thinking the gearbox drainer is on the left (passenger) side of the gearbox?

How did you fill it back up?

Rides
    the drain plug is on the bottom, the fill plug is on the passenger side. fill plug is pretty much always a complete bitch to undo, better off draining it and refilling with the correct amount through the shifter. means you can sit down in comfort and savour the fine aroma of vintage cat piss while you're doing it

Rides
    Good job

Through the shifter hole for the win!

Rides
    I used 80/90 GL4 comma in my box as every where I went the only 75/90 was GL5 flavour

its a bit "crunchy" when cold, but superb once warmed up...

Rides
    How much oil does the box take? When should one stop filling?

Rides
    if you're filling from the fill plug on the side of the box (and the car is level) then stop filling when oil comes back out of the fill plug. if you're filling from the shifter aperture then stop filling when you've put 2.4 litres in. it's all in the service manual

Rides
    I used a piece of garden hose pipe to fill through the fill plug hole, worked a treat.

That oil is rather cheap! I couldn't find any in the same spec locally so ordered it off the 'net for quite a bit more, still a small price to pay for a nice gear change.
    Last edited by Silane; 09-06-2010 at 10:44.