Thread: heres a boost related one for ya

Rides

heres a boost related one for ya

well finally after months a got round to fitting my front mount intercooler.

managed to get it done in 3 hrs, not bad for a through the battery tray jobbie i thought. anyways, took it out for a run no problem. was hitting 19 psi, so turned it down to the mapped 17psi.

all good, drove all day, all yesterday and no problems.

then last night on the way home from the mrs, i put my foot down in second, no problem, grabbed 3rd and only got 12psi

so checked all the pipes on the spot, no visible boost leak or anything, so i wound up the boost controller some more to make 17 psi again...and everythings fine again

so wat could have cause the boost to suddenly drop, then make me have to wind up the boost again to make the same boost again?

any help would be useful as it does make me wonder?

Thanks

Rides
    what boost controller is it?

Rides
    what do you mean by wind up ?? bren device ??

Rides
    shitty egay one

Rides
    ptfe tape on threads? was it nipped up tight? maybe the spring coiled in!

Rides
    i was thinking perhaps the spring suddenly pinged or something after being caught inside, maybe just random it done this after fitting the front mount?? i dunno?

Rides
    did you stretch the spring out a bit ? if the end was loose it cant have been tightened enough!

Rides
    havent touched it...bought it, fitted it...adjusted to the right boost and that was it...then yesterday i suddenly didnt make the boost, so turned it up some more and its fine???

Rides
    my money is on its wound itself back in seen it loads of times on mbc's little bit of vibration or something winds back in or out

Rides
    ive never had it do this in about a yr's wrth of use tho...why would it just happen to do it when ive just fitted the fmic? could it be the increase of boost or less lag, different boost curve? cause it feels now like it comes on boost a lot stronger

Rides
    well boost going up after front mount aint so uncommon cause of the wing mounts leaking but dropping down i dont know maybe get it pressure tested see if you got any leaks other than that i still reckon it will have wound itself down cause you have touched it might of had a nice chunk of dirt stopping it before

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by japdrifter View Post
    was hitting 19 psi, so turned it down to the mapped 17psi.
    Maybe you upset it a little when you turned it down, then it sorted itself out and you had to do another re-adjustment

Keep an eye on it and if you don't experience any problems then maybe assume it was the above.

Rides
    well its been fine since to be honest, and i took a beating last night as my mates just finished his 2.5 v6 corsa (euro style) so we had to have a good run, done me about 40 quid in juice last night

Rides
    you may have a slight boost leak. Is it holding the boost bang on all the way through the rev range?
    Could be leaking a few psi which you have covered up by turning the boost up to compensate. is it using a bit more fuel? Check and double check all pipes by hand and tighten them. check that the silicon hasnt rubbed through or split. could be a slight leak from the intercooler.

would 2 psi cause an issue if above mapped boost? thats what could be happening

Rides
    i dont think it has a boost leak to be honest, i reckon the old intercooler had one however as the car comes on boost so much quicker and stronger than before.

i will be checking one pipe however as its slightly rubbing against the metal so il be putting some hose on both the pipe and the metal itself

il just have to continuously moniter the boost issue but i think its sorted now...i think it was just teething problems