Thread: Any Sky Technical people?

Rides

Any Sky Technical people?

Hi folks,

I live in a rented flat that has the usual communal sky dish which is fine but in the flat there is only one satelite connection port which means 1 signal into the sky+ box which needs 2 to work properly.

is there any way of getting around this? i guess even if i could split the 1 signal feed so the box has its two signal feeds and then it maybe wouldnt fail all my recorded programs due to no signal.

also have the chance of a second sky box for another room but im guessing the hope of this depends on the first question answer

Rides
    You cant spilt it
    As its a communal system it will be a pain in the arse, you could check it the setup to see if you can get another lnb feed down.
    Sky+ will work with one feed but of course you dont have the twin tuner setup so cannot record 2 at a time, record and watch another channel. You can however record and playback at the same time.

Rides
    \/\/\/\

What he said. You'll need two feeds for sky+ to work on the "record one channel and watch another" thing. (see that technical description there..)
    How many flats are there? Can you get another feed to the LNB?

I ask this cos i live in a flat and sky blatently dont like people like us. They think we're subhuman. I'm not even going to go into how much shit i had with sky trying to get another feed to my sky box. they'll take your money though.

****ing ****ers.

Right rant over, if you can get another cable to the LNB then you might be able to change the LNB and get up and running. but you may have a distribution system....Second box in another room may be problematic too. Output on the back of the box for repeat in another room though. If thats any consolation.

Rides
    The new SkyHD EPG software has a feature where you can use just one LNB input, but it's not all that from what i can gather.

It's called single feed mode, not sure if it exists on Sky+

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skyco...icleId=5370110

http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-h...cture-try.html

Rides
    You should still be able to use it like a video recorder and record one thing at a time. Sky don't have a 1 feed mode for Sky+ on all Sky+ boxes yet...

Rides
    thanks guys, pretty much confirming what i thought, i could live with 1 feed but if you record something when your out or when box is on standby you cant gaurantee what signal feed itll use to record your programme, soome fail and some record, thats what really grinds my gears!

if it just knew it only had 1 signal feed and only used that to record then all would be slightly better. hmmm

will have a read through the links Jezz

Rides
    I think you can turn off the second tuner so it will record properly when in standby...
    Cant remember...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    I think you can turn off the second tuner so it will record properly when in standby...
    Cant remember...
    Or turn the auto standby nonsense off.

Rides
    Yeah the standby is tosh, the box uses pretty much the same power on or standby. My HD box uses circa 40w regardless.

Rides
    All depends if you can have a dish on your flat? (have othe flats got their own dishes?
    What way is your balcony (if you have one) facing?
    ie is it the would it have a clear view of the satellite?
    or if not last resort is something like this

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezz_S13 View Post
    Or turn the auto standby nonsense off.
    think the problem with this is that it would mean having to leave the box on the channel its going to record way in advance, or if i was recording one program then another an hour later id be screwed

had a look at the link you posted jezz and it may seem like a solution, seems like i can upgrade to a sky+HD box for free so may go with that.

seems like such an obvious problem and surely an easy solution is available to sky.

Rides
    I think to get the free HD box you need to subscribe to HD for a year.

I'm not 100% sure how the single feed thing works, I'm not entirely sure it allows you to have effectively two tuners still. So I'm not sure if you can record two things at once, or watch one/record one.

The stacker thing that Leviathan posted might be an option.

EDIT: Also, this...
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...63&postcount=3