Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Ft-86

Rides
    Not sure on the front bumper, but otherwise thats a damn cool car!

Even the standard one is growing in me, slightly. It definitely looks like a youngster's car though. (Not that many youngsters have £25K burning a hole in their pocket).

Rides
    I love it just need a monstrous turbo one! Manufacturer speced drift machines FTW

Rides
    This car is really growing on me, I had the official brochures drop through the door a couple of weeks back and the more I look at it the more I want one....

Rides

Rides
    can you book test drives now? I wanna have a go in one

Rides
    With everyone talking about how small the BRZ/86 is, I found this picture quite funny!

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Yep that's fairly close

Rides
    It was nice of the 200 owner to leave his sunroof up just a little so the people carrier next to it doesn't look quite so tall.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Quail View Post
    With everyone talking about how small the BRZ/86 is, I found this picture quite funny!

(I really must take the stilts off one of mine)

Not very fair, the SX is slammed. They are within 0.2in/5mm on height.

It's width that's the biggest difference. The SX is about 4in/100mm narrower. BRZ/86 wheelbase is a bit longer and track wider.

It's got a claimed Cd of 0.27, cf RS13 0.3. Top speed of 140mph on 200bhp. RS13 does 140mph(ish) on 169bhp. So BRZ/86 frontal area must be much bigger. Maybe it's got an inch less ground clearance? But that power is being eaten by drag and will need fuel to make it.

But most of the comments that are appearing are on interior space. UK site has claim it fits 4 adults. Extra external width on modern cars doesn't usually add to interior width, it goes into door thickness. Longer wheelbase doesn't mean the back seats have enough legroom to be useable. Americans are large, this was known by Nissan a long time ago. They abandoned the 2000GT project that Yamaha then sold to Toyota to make the Z. The "E" type and the GT were too small for America and they made the Z big enough. I had a center lap belt in back of my first SX and it was used - when Nieces and Nephew were teens. After having a ride in the back of my RS13 a colleague was inspired to try to put his aunt in the back of his Audi TT (2+0). But I'm only 5'7" so I can pull the front seat further forward than someone who's 6'2", and 3" on the rear seat legroom makes the difference between being useable and a joke. How much space you get in the back of a 2+2 depends on who is in the front.

Rides
    Makes the relatively low weight quite impressive tbh

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Quail View Post
    Compare it to, I dunno, a new 5 series or XF and the thing looks like a Tonka toy

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Compare it to, I dunno, a new 5 series or XF and the thing looks like a Tonka toy
    Don't be silly, they are big fat ass saloons. You may as well start comparing them to X5 or Touareg or Humvee.

Jaguar XF 1,460 mm. That's over 150 mm taller.
    BMW 5 F10 1,464 mm

This is at entry level for a "sports coupe" but claimed "2+2" adults so it's still got some practicality and isn't fit only for use as a weekend toy or single persons car. I can't fault it's height, it's bang on the money for what the car is. It's other "modern" cars that have grown stupidly tall.

The Jag comparison should be to XK 1,322 mm (1,312 mm for XKR-S), which is Jag's 2+2 "sports coupe". '86 is lower. Sadly the XK is utterly useless as a 2+2, the next door neighbour has had both a hardtop and convertible. His daughter didn't fit in the back, there wasn't any leg room and even sat sideways no headroom either, she had to go by train. No more use than an Audi TT, good only for practical jokes on your aunt/daughter.

Audi TT (8N) 1,346 mm
    Audi TT (8J) 1,352 mm, TTS: 1,345 mm, TT RS: 1,342 mm.

E-Type the original benchmark for 2+2 sports coupe was 1,273 mm
    A pure 2 seat coupe can (and should) be much lower, the E-type FHC was 1,222 mm

BMW have NEVER made a 2+2 "sports coupe" but they are going to, the i8 will be 1300mm high, it's right height for a "sports coupe". It remains to be seen if this is really a 2+2 or a sick Teutonic joke like an Audi TT. But it will be expensive to find out as it's going to be stupid supercar money.
    http://www.bmw-i.co.uk/en_gb/bmw-i8/

Rides

This guy does in depth tours of cars... they are tours.. not reviews.

Worth a look even if his accent is slightly annoying.

Rides
    I like it .... would happily have one of those any day of the week .. thought the interior was a bit shabby though ... seats were nice, but the rest of it really did come across a little too "cheap plastic" with teeny door speakers

Then again subaru or toyota never have been the most lavish cars on the inside

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    The guy in that video that Deacon posted needs better filming equipment.

Oh and TBH I'd have one happily.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    *lots of vehicle size related stuff*
    *sigh*

My point was that cars these days are vastly enormous. Parked up next to an XF at work the other day in a friends Mazda3 and the sheer size difference in every aspect is bordering on ridiculous, regardless of which market sector they are in!

To have a new sports car which is actually a comparable size to something from the same sector 20 years ago is remarkable.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    It's got a claimed Cd of 0.27, cf RS13 0.3. Top speed of 140mph on 200bhp. RS13 does 140mph(ish) on 169bhp. So BRZ/86 frontal area must be much bigger. Maybe it's got an inch less ground clearance? But that power is being eaten by drag and will need fuel to make it.
    Dude, what is your fascination with drag figures? Are things like handling, performance, ride, looks, economy, safety, value for money, interior trim quality not important to you, incidentally none of which have anything to do with the Cd? Is Cd/CdA the only buying statistic you consider, and if so, why dont you own a Calibra?

I still think it will be underpowered, regardless of Mr Skyshacks drag co-efficient calculations say, the GT86 has less torque, 20hp more and a couple of more kilos than the S13 that was first produced in 1988 ...... Ill probbaly go have a drive of one but its not going to be quick enough to call itself a "sports car" IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    'cos the only calibra that got the best drag figures was the 8v version and no one wants that
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by weiner_patrol View Post
    Wow all the blue one needs is a set of brown wheels and it'll be a Scooby
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Dude, what is your fascination with drag figures?
    Its the "Top Trumps" effect.

When playing for the win, you need your car to win .... so if you are down on power, speed, handling, comfort, grip etc ... you play your one winning hand which in this case is the cdA ...... you just better hope the other guy doesnt have the Calibra card in his hand