Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Dattosan machi aka project NIPPER

Rides
    I fitted k11 anti roll bars last night and wow what a difference it has made very happy with the results, although I need some new shocks cose mine just bottom out on every bump or corner. Its pretty terrible lol. Iam gonna try and see if i can get mk2 golf coilovers too fit allround. Hopefully try a set on friday.

Also the back end seems to step out on most corners so i think it needs to be softer on the rear, stiffer on the front, lots more camber on the rear and better tyres allround.

Could also do with a quicker ratio rack as well, so i think iam going to be getting k11 hubs, brakes, lower arms ect and midly modding the steering arms for quicker steering.

Next mods will be to add a rev counter and fit some better seats and also sort out decent shocks and springs.

Kev

Rides
    modding the steering arms? bit of de ja vue coming up there kev. for s simple project mate, its turning full on lol. you seem to be enjoying it anyways pal

Rides
    i pointed wile.e. in your direction, will be interesting to see the differences in the way you guys progress these projects

Rides
    This thread has got me thinking of ways I could make my K11 badass, but I just don't think it'd work as well

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    i have seen a k11 with an evo engine shoehorned in.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by eloise View Post
    modding the steering arms? bit of de ja vue coming up there kev. for s simple project mate, its turning full on lol. you seem to be enjoying it anyways pal
    Yep because drilling 2 taper holes is a lot cheaper than having a custom rack made up or retro fitting one from another car!!

I wont be altering ackerman, bumpsteer or roll centre on the front of this car only steering arm length.

Its not a full on project, hence why i have choosen an engine which is a straight fit and can be done over the weekend. Iam only doing mods that are bolt on easy stuff. No bodywork, no fabrication, no long off the road periods ect ect
    Last edited by Swiftmini; 02-06-2010 at 21:31.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    i pointed wile.e. in your direction, will be interesting to see the differences in the way you guys progress these projects
    Ah cool thanks, yeah its great too see different approaches to modding k10's

Cant wait too see where iam with this in a couple months time

one thing that this car has acheived so far is that i have gone out for a little burn up every night since I got it and it puts huge grins on my face as it buzzes along

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    This thread has got me thinking of ways I could make my K11 badass, but I just don't think it'd work as well
    How about just putting in the 1.3 on normal management ect and then wacking it on megasquirt and throttle bodies? whiteline arbs and coilies would make it badass.

the k11 is growing on me lol

have you done any mods like the horizontal rear wiper mod ect ect?? check out msc for inspirations

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by eloise View Post
    i have seen a k11 with an evo engine shoehorned in.
    I have seen on ewith pulsar gtir run.ning gear

Sorry for my bite up there ^^^ i just feel like peeps constantly say the reason for my probs with the gentleman are down to modding knuckles. I dont regret doing them, i learnt shitloads and will help when i make the next ones. My probs with the gentleman are 1. Making it look shit when it looked lush before 2. Needed 1500 for tax mot insurance and parts 3. Needs 2-3k to get it how i want it. Plus it cost too much too use it for getting to work and therefore i cant go out in the evenings.

When i had my minis and fiestas i used to make stuff and fit scrapyard parts, then i would go out in the eveing and abuse it. Thats what i want from this car. Just FUN

Rides
    awsome mate, really starting to look like fun now.

the carb thing will be a suck it and see thing really. but personally i really wouldnt advise the running of higher fuel pressure to overcome the fueling issue, thats a mega bodge that will eventually just ruin the carbs and cause mot failures due to idle overfueling. just raise the main needle and drill out the main jet if needed,
    you will find that not many rolling roads will know what to do with them but at least they can tell you how its running.

im looking at modifying my mates hubs soon to give him a quicker rack, it seems like a much easier way of doing it rather than trying to get a rack to fit from something else.

you should port the head while the engines out mate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    awsome mate, really starting to look like fun now.

the carb thing will be a suck it and see thing really. but personally i really wouldnt advise the running of higher fuel pressure to overcome the fueling issue, thats a mega bodge that will eventually just ruin the carbs and cause mot failures due to idle overfueling. just raise the main needle and drill out the main jet if needed,
    you will find that not many rolling roads will know what to do with them but at least they can tell you how its running.

im looking at modifying my mates hubs soon to give him a quicker rack, it seems like a much easier way of doing it rather than trying to get a rack to fit from something else.

you should port the head while the engines out mate
    My local rolling road said he can handle the carb s no probs. You may have heard of them 'tipton garage' they are awesome people. I will defo get it setup properly though, pointless doing all the work else.

The micra hub is about 30mm wide where i want to re drill it, should be more than enough meat and ill shorten it by about 25% effectively.

RE. Head porting- N1 cars in japan make 170-180hp on stock size valves. so i think some porting, 3 angle seats and maybe thin down the stems and up the compression to 11.1.

Have you got a 30* and 60* cutter for valve seats?

Kev

Rides
    no probs kev lol. i was not having a go at you modding the knuckles etc, it was more tongue in cheek remark about you saying you was keeping it simples. mod away mate, im very interested in how this devolps mate. just hope you not going over the top with things then wishing you had left well alone, tho it seems your going about it right with the scrapyard bolt on bits.

its going along at a phenominal pace mate, making good progress. pocket rockets for daily drivers ftw

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmini View Post
    My local rolling road said he can handle the carb s no probs. You may have heard of them 'tipton garage' they are awesome people.
    I've heard good things about them. Not sure who from though

Looking good Kev - when will the carbs be on? I should stop reading your threads - they make me want to go out and buy another car and mod it up as a daily so I can concentrate on the 14a's engine development (which is still in the planning stages)

Rides
    I decided that i wont be swapping stuff like glass for polycarb ect cose it just wont make a massive difference on this as a road car. Ill swap the seats for some buckets and ill probably remove the rest of the carpet but thats it. I like how it looks right now.

Not gonna do any fancy suspension work other than shoe horning some coilies on there somehow and i my rebush some bits.

The carbs wont be fitted until the engine is ready to go in. Ill probably just wack in an engine straight from the scrapyard and maybe build a better motor later on down the road. Ill try and get an engine and 5 speed box this weekend.

Rides
    Right i managed to get my hands on some golf coilies to take some measurements from.

I measured the length of them in full bump at theyre lowest setting, when they hit the beginning of the bump stop and they are 10mm shorter than the standard ones in full bump. They are also plenty long enough. The top thread that goes through the top mount is 14mm on the golfs and 10mm on the micras, so i will need new front topmounts. The bottom bracket is 6mm wider so all i need is 3mm packing piece either side. And i need to redrill a hole on each side.

The rears apparently go straight on

Need some golf coilies now

Rides
    Front k11 anti roll bar pics.

Kev

Rides

Rides
    sweet, were they easy enough to fit? drill bottom arms for drop links and weld a plate with two threads to the floor?

Rides
    Your absolutley right

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmini View Post
    Are the lower arms very close to the ARB and body because of the extreme lowering or is it just the photo?

What age Golf do you need the coilovers from?