Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dattosan machi aka project NIPPER

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffing View Post
    If I'm correct - a CG13DE is a 1.3? if so then carbs for a 750 shouldn't run lean...
    In the dub world they've been putting carbs on the 1.3 3f GT engine for years, generally from a CBR600, they run ok straight out of the box and spot on with a little set up. I can't see that carbs from a 750 needing bigger jets...

I could be wrong ofcourse...
    unfortunately it doesnt work like that im afraid, and a hell of a lot of the dubbers running carbs are running lean as hell i can tell you now. especially after meeting and knowing a fair few of them lol,

i/we have done a lot of carb conversions now and every one has needed serious up jetting and the reason is down to air speed.

an untuned or even mildly tuned car engine does not flow as much airspeed as a high rpm bike engine. we have fitted bike carbs from an R1 to a 2.0 renault engine. which when rolling roaded still makes less power than the 1.0 bike engine but needed the jets nearly doubling in size to make the car run in a safe AFR level.

a friend of mine did explain it to me a few weeks ago exactly what the lower air speed does to mean that they need to be up jetted but i cant for the life of me remember lol.

Rides
    Love it man. I used to have a metallic brown K10, with a brown tweed looking interior! It was bad ass. Really wish I hadn't written it off.....

Rides
    I think ill let the rolling road take care of me

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Falco View Post
    Love it man. I used to have a metallic brown K10, with a brown tweed looking interior! It was bad ass. Really wish I hadn't written it off.....
    Glad you like it shame about your own k10. The dont hold up well in crashes thats for sure.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    unfortunately it doesnt work like that im afraid, and a hell of a lot of the dubbers running carbs are running lean as hell i can tell you now. especially after meeting and knowing a fair few of them lol,

i/we have done a lot of carb conversions now and every one has needed serious up jetting and the reason is down to air speed.

an untuned or even mildly tuned car engine does not flow as much airspeed as a high rpm bike engine. we have fitted bike carbs from an R1 to a 2.0 renault engine. which when rolling roaded still makes less power than the 1.0 bike engine but needed the jets nearly doubling in size to make the car run in a safe AFR level.

a friend of mine did explain it to me a few weeks ago exactly what the lower air speed does to mean that they need to be up jetted but i cant for the life of me remember lol.
    most of the polo boys have their carbs set-up by bogg bros (if you're not familiar with the name, google them, they're quite well known) and generally speaking, when they're running CBR 600 carbs they don't need the size of the jet increasing.

What your friend is probably going on about is the higher air speed having a "draw through" effect on the fuel. Most bike carbs are gravity fed (obvious since the fuel tank sits above them), with excess fuel requirements being made up by the high air speed "sucking" more fuel through the carb - I think that's the way it works...
    The polo boys set up there fuel pressure to be back fed, meaning that the carbs still get more than to 2-3psi of pressure they actually require - hence why there are loads of issues with flooding the carbs! The excess fuel pressure makes up for the lack of the "draw through" effect.

I've got to say though, I thought all R1's were throttle bodies rather than carbs, again I may well be wrong. but in my moments of stupidity recently I've been considering an R1 throttle body conversion for my GTi-6.

Rides
    Early r1 had carbs!!

This is all interesting stuff, who would have thought an old micra project would generate such a conversation lol.

To add to what you say about the slower air speed not sucking as much fuel through. Its down to the pressure differential at either end of the jet. The pressure at the port end of the jet is lower thatn the atmospheric pressure in the floatg chamber causuing the sweet vino to flow

Hence why some carbs dont like boost.

Anyways it will all become clear once its all fitted.

Actually thats a point, iam only in the parts collection stage at the mo, i need to get the missus car through mot and do some work on the s13 before i do engine conversion on this one.

Rides
    Pics of bits i have for the car.

Cobra bucket, i have a pair and the both need a clean

And i tried these on as a temp fit until the bandies are done

More tomorrow

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Actually, I rather like those alloys. Clean them up a bit and paint them silver and they'd be really tidy!

but in my moments of clarity recently I've been considering an R1 throttle body conversion for my GTi-6.
    Edited for you

Rides
    i like the wolfraces alloys too, very period for the car!

Rides
    Freshly cleaned, polished, partially stripped and slightly lowered.

Also fitted an s13 steering wheel and also found a passenger side mirror delete panel. Ill get pics of those tomorrow.

Kev

Rides
    That's looking awesome mate!

Rides
    u need wider wheel on it man! still looks slow lol

Rides
    That's looking awesome mate!
    Thanks mate, iam really pleased with how its turned out so far. Its such a tidy little car and the paint has come up well

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturge View Post
    u need wider wheel on it man! still looks slow lol
    Its is very slow lol but yeah it needs some banded steels on it badly and they need to be powder coated silver.

not sure whether to band the 12's or some 13's. i like the 12s alot but there is a limited selection for tyres. 165 60 12 is the biggest. will i get enough grip from a 165 for 100hp, i guess its fine on a mini so should be fine on this one too. my mini has 100hp swift lump and 165 70 10s lol.

Rides
    Iam in desperate need of anti roll bars, bucket seats and decent tyres. The shocks and springs could do with being stiffer and the steering needs to be quicker. But it should be ok, it defo doesnt need a bigger engine just yet.

Rides
    you gonna make an ARB for this? IIRC they dont have one? i think you shud either band some 12s or 13s with stretch tyres either painted white or just the rim painted white?

Rides
    Gonna retrofit k11 bars onto it, although i may make my own rear bar because the stock one will be very weak. I have made my own before.

And some k10s did come with arbs. My mate has one for sale but its too weak for me too bother with.

Wheels will defo be silver, i only like white on white

Rides
    200sx steering wheel

Wing mirrir delete

And facelift wheels 13 x 5 which i will band

And i got some k11 front and rear arbs and also secured a deal on an engine for much cheapness

srapyard rocks!!!

kev

Rides
    love scrap yards lol! believe it or not theres not one in guernsey atall! lol

I like the use of the 200sx wheel, did it fit straight on or did it need kevs magic touch?! lol

Rides
    Nah straight fit horn works and evrythings good