Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New User

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by KKealy View Post
    I'm 19 and currently have a 1.4 Corsa. Used to have a 1.8 Suzuki Baleno though and insurance wasn't too high. Also I am insured third party for any car right now, so I would probably keep my Corsa and buy a 200SX as a second car.
    You'd drive the s14 based on the fact that you're covered 3rd party on any car on the Corsa..

Good luck!

Rides
    To stop this turning into a potential witch hunt as some insurance threads can do, il just clear some stuff up for you as i know insurance and stuff can be a confusing especially if your only 1-2 years into your first policy.

You need to check your policy as i dont of any that allow you to drive another vehicle 3rd party cover unless your covered fully comp on your own. and as mark said that option went out with noahs ark about 5 years ago and is usually an extra you have to request and be over 25 to have.

But... if you do have that clause then the vehicle you intend to drive has to have fully comp insurance in its own right, insured by somebody else.

Unless your seriously minted forget insuring a corsa and a 200. and if you dont have a sizable disposable income forget modding the car at 19 as the premiums will be crippling. The 200 is a fantastic car to own and drive, but forget trying to run one on the cheap as it cnat be done unless your an old man like me.

Rides
    Im 19 my insurance is 1600, thats with 2 years driving, 1 years no claims, 3 points and 2 accidents at fault. My excess is 1350.

Im going to get another car though just have the 200 as a weekend car and when it works! Putting a S15 SR20 into it atm :P

KKealy
    Have checked it out, it's Quinn insurance. Drive my pals cars quiete a lot (was driving a type R few months ago) and I checked and double checked with my insurance. And no it doesn't need to be requested, I was driving around for four months unaware this was on my policy until my pal who is also with them pointed it out to me.
    Also don't live with my mother - and the car doesn't have to be insured by the other party as I also checked this as I drove my pals car to an MOT station as he couldn't do this as he had a ban, and so obviously wasn't insured on his car.

Anyway, didn't make this thread to be asked about insurance - came to ask questions not to get barraged with rather hostile questions about insurance

And as for the money side you shouldn't assume I'm skint just because of my age
    Last edited by KKealy; 22-03-2010 at 20:19.

Rides
    ...and the car doesn't have to be insured by the other party as I also checked this as I drove my pals car to an MOT station as he couldn't do this as he had a ban, and so obviously wasn't insured on his car.
    Fella, this is wrong, wrong, wrong. The car MUST be insured in its own right for you to get 3rd party coverage on it, regardless of owner's consent. Sorry, but I'm warning you in case you get pulled - an excuse of ignorance won't get you out of trouble.

Rides
    and the car doesn't have to be insured by the other party
    The car does have to be insured, in its own right, to get a tax disc on it

Rides
    and the car doesn't have to be insured by the other party as I also checked this
    No thats not true.

Rides
    The car has to be insured by someone else fully comp for you to be 3rd party on it. Otherwise you could buy a very expensive car and no one be insured on it and buy a shitty car get insured on that then drive the expensive one. It dont work like that!

KKealy
    Will phone up Quinn in the morning - one reply saying this would have been suffice though no need for 3 all echoing each other.

Rides
    Will phone up Quinn in the morning - one reply saying this would have been suffice though no need for 3 all echoing each other.
    If it stops you getting 6 points and a £200 fine then its worth being said 10 times.

To be honest if you think this is hostile then count yourself lucky your not on the receiving end of other members replies after youve admitted frequently driving whilst uninsured. Especially those who have had cars written off by them & ended up being £1000s out of pocket.

Rides
    one reply saying this would have been suffice though no need for 3 all echoing each other.
    You will notice that all 3 replies were within a few mins of each other so we didnt see the others also seeing as i am not in the habit of deleting posts i make, i left it.

Rides
    I do believe this may be a grey area. But even if Quinn do say the other car doesn't need to be insured for their insurance cover to be valid, the fact still remains you won't be able to tax it. It also means the car is uninsured, so if it is stolen, you won't be paid for your loss. If you left it somewhere and forgot to apply the handbrake and it rolled into another vehicle, or a pedestrian, you will not be insured for the damage that your actions caused a third party, and in a shit load of trouble.

None of the replies are anything to do with hostility, but are merely advice from people with experience

KKealy
    After I've admitted frequently driving without valid insurance? I phoned up my insurance company and checked it with them - so my insurance was valid. This thread mentioned no where in it about insurance until it was hijacked

Rides
    After I've admitted frequently driving without valid insurance? I phoned up my insurance company and checked it with them - so my insurance was valid. This thread mentioned no where in it about insurance until it was hijacked
    You started the big debate with this post...

My insurance states somewhere on it (not exactly this but cant be arsed getting it out):

"is entitled to drive any other car third party with the permission of the owner"

Get one of these, put it in my mothers name and I can drive it legally on the road.
    From the experience of many people posted here, you can't drive it legally on the road, strictly speaking .

Just because the reality doesn't meet your ideal, there's no need to get the hump with people offering sage advice

Rides
    Driving other cars
    If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover
    you, the policyholder, for your liability to other people while
    you are driving any other private motor car which you do
    not own or have not hired or leased, as long as:
    1 the vehicle is not owned by your employer or hired to them
    under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;
    2 you currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence;
    3 the use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of
    insurance;
    4 cover is not provided by any other insurance;
    5 you have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle;
    6 the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition; and
    7 you still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged
    beyond cost-effective repair.

directly lifted from quinns policy pdf.

discuss all you want. makes no odds to me

KKealy
    So I from what I can ascertain from what you've written here - I (and the people on the phone) were right?

KKealy
    First time Ive been on and there's not 3 rapid replys - so was I right?

Rides
    3 the use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of
    insurance;
    Meaning the other vehicles insurance if I read that right.

As in not just laid up cover.

Rides
    You were right about what exactly?

Rides
    Lol, funny c**t ehh??
    I would have thought that point no3 should be enough, now i know youngsters thesedays aint leaving school with all there marbles inline like the old days but really its pretty clear from that.

I know of no insurance that covers you 3rd party on a non covered car... and never have.

There you go, no doubt someother bugger posts the same thing at the same time
    Edit lol!!!